people not attacking support / squishies.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
Im still quite surprised to see many tanks and front line dpsers attacking primary tanks and not going for their support and squishys.

just wondering does anyone else feel that they are banging their heads against the wall when they see this kind of tactics ?

oh yes.... its freakin amazing what happens in pvp areas.... Its like a /brain off command for most people :twak:

oh god cant wait for fg vs fg or wb vs wb... and as mentioned run a guild grp and make room for all the free rp...

Case

Fledgling Freddie
I usually charge right into the support but I play a sorc so boom boom pbaoe and they all die :)

Must admit I'm disapointed by the average skill level of people in RvR of any sort on destruction, the healers rarely heal, the tanks rarely tank and the dpsers are too scared to attack so stand back and get killed.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Yup, im usually sat most nights screaming my head off on teamspeak at the retards hitting tank classes where theres a healer standing right next to them, It's beggars belief sometimes.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Worse is when, as a healer, you have a DPS eating you alive and all your tanks and DPS are whacking other tanks and completely ignoring you :(

It's frustrations like this that made me roll a tank class to try and lead by example....not having much impact yet though ;)

Belsameth

Tainted
I play a tank as well and utterly suck. Always over extending and busier playing Lava Baseball then anything.
Luckily, much like Grumlok, I have a much smarter Shaman following me around and telling me what to do :p

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
i have to say that rvr is quite situational.

In open areas mdps has room to bypass defensive tanks or simply charge the casters and kill them fast.
but its sooo much more fun toying with casters before killing them.

In scenarios like TA mdps cant just charge to casters, cause eveyone stands in a very small area.
He gets cced by collition, root, knocks.
Sometimes casters stand on higher ground and the only thing to do is stay away from caster's range.
Most of the cases the only way to get the casters is to assist and kill tanks 1 by 1 before they knock you into lava and by each hit you have to watch your step so when you get knocked, you wont land in lava.

In daoc, killing enemy tanks first ,while your charge tanks or whatever class with cc/ interrupts messed support, is the rule.
but in war, there is hardly any thing to interrupt since most spells used are instant

99% of the times killing first heavy tanks with a shield holding the line and a couple of hots is time consuming.
killing we/wh on the other hand is fast and can save you some trouble.

pushing to kill casters is correct, but not always possible...

:drink:

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i do find playijng my engineer when im trying to get into range to take out their casters with interupts at the back and your looking at those rps just infront of you but way out of range. and you see your tank beating the sweet bejubus out of another tank thats being chain healed :p

anywho i suppose folks got to learn the sad thing is ive noticed that they arnt learning very quickly.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
tbh, if i charge in with my toon, and pull back..

about 3 tanks on me out of heal range, yeh we bash on em...

but normally, hello sorcerar, here is my sword xD

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Well in my extensive lvl12 experience the easiest thing to kill 95% of the time is the overextended tanks.

/qft.

Works on my BW, SM & WH. Hell it even works on my RP - the joy of the RP is while I do it I gain a morale heal.

Though it was a DAoC standard tictac of any decent caster setup - some of the people in War truely are cluless though & make your life far too easy.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
We focused on killing their tanks 99% of the time, the 1% was then our 2 BL/interupt tank managed to drop something but that was just a bonus.

Slam/grapple/snare enemy tank debuff nuke team+tad out of range and profit.

Seems like you farmed some random cluess (German) RR12 tanks without purge 3 and all the defensive goodies. Seen it a lot in all the DAoC videos (not from you, but you get the point), none of them ever purged a slam. Not sure what realm you played, but post Heretic, Albion tanks weren't that easy to kill too.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
Worse is when, as a healer, you have a DPS eating you alive and all your tanks and DPS are whacking other tanks and completely ignoring you :(

It's frustrations like this that made me roll a tank class to try and lead by example....not having much impact yet though ;)

yup, as a healer i have yet to find a tank outside of guild that offers any sort of protection. its like guard doesnt exist and their CC is non existant, it really is very annoying to be the one keeping people on their feet but when you need a hand its like they dont give a shit. just tonight a witch hunter popped on a sorc in t4, the sorc wasnt in my group and was pretty much dead, managed to keep her up with instants + morale, the witch hunter left the sorc and started smacking me.....i was pretty much out of ap from keeping the sorc alive, no help from anyone, even the sorc i just saved.....makes me wonder why i even try.

i just got in to t4 tonight, i have noticed a huge difference from t3 to t4 in the skill (if you would call it that) levels of players, usually the first sign of me now and i am eating dirt pretty quickly. white lions hurt like a biatch :(

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
The question is too much vague to awnser it accuratly, but i aggree with Valgyr. If you have an enemmy player on your backgarden, be it IB or WH, kill it first. When charging on others group, casters/healers are usually the prime targets.

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like you farmed some random cluess (German) RR12 tanks without purge 3 and all the defensive goodies. Seen it a lot in all the DAoC videos (not from you, but you get the point), none of them ever purged a slam. Not sure what realm you played, but post Heretic, Albion tanks weren't that easy to kill too.

More and more alb grps did ran heretic and made life much harder yes, im no fan of purge 3 on a light tank tho, as a avg 8v8 fight is 4-8 mins and slam immunity is less thhen a min, so i prefer to use it on other stuff and call help on vent. On a non stio off tank its a much better choise.

I quite havent figured out the timers and such in WAR yet, as they write about immunity timers in the discription but i find myself chain rooted at times:(

deez

Fledgling Freddie
I find it more annoying in scenarios when tanks just run in and stay there to die whilst taking insane amounts of damage. I know they can take quite a bit of damage, but perhaps they might want to consider pulling back and pushing again once their health bar has recovered!

hehe yea thats really one of the best parts of this game :p

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I find it more annoying in scenarios when tanks just run in and stay there to die whilst taking insane amounts of damage. I know they can take quite a bit of damage, but perhaps they might want to consider pulling back and pushing again once their health bar has recovered!

Thats one of the things tanks are made to do, if your enemy is hitting the tank, they arent hitting your healers and squishies.

A tank who knows what he's doing can absorb crazy damage for a long time and doesn't need that much healing, problem is many tanks think they are melee DPS and run in with 2-handers out and wonder why they go squish :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
More and more alb grps did ran heretic and made life much harder yes, im no fan of purge 3 on a light tank tho, as a avg 8v8 fight is 4-8 mins and slam immunity is less thhen a min, so i prefer to use it on other stuff and call help on vent. On a non stio off tank its a much better choise.

I quite havent figured out the timers and such in WAR yet, as they write about immunity timers in the discription but i find myself chain rooted at times:(

Considering that good slammers ran 23% duration gear, a light tank would stand for 11 seconds slammed in a 4-8 minutes fight.

Purge 3 > that in my opinion. I always had high determination and purge on my tanks, if all in group had it it was much easier to not fall prone to what you described, so I am convinced that it is a partly RA/speccing issue, at RR11/12 one can afford it.

There is a video somewhere of that Maelstrom zerker, he was pushing very hard sometimes to interrupt and soaking damage but rarely dying (good anti-damage passives), so I guess it comes down to play style too.

I agree on the point you made though, if the tank is easy to kill, kill it.

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
Considering that good slammers ran 23% duration gear, a light tank would stand for 11 seconds slammed in a 4-8 minutes fight.

Purge 3 > that in my opinion. I always had high determination and purge on my tanks, if all in group had it it was much easier to not fall prone to what you described, so I am convinced that it is a partly RA/speccing issue, at RR11/12 one can afford it.

There is a video somewhere of that Maelstrom zerker, he was pushing very hard sometimes to interrupt and soaking damage but rarely dying (good anti-damage passives), so I guess it comes down to play style too.

I agree on the point you made though, if the tank is easy to kill, kill it.

Well it takes a solid RR to afford charge 3 det 5 purge 3, and as most of us ran on the german servers with semi new chars(and i have a tendency to swap realms:)) u wont have the benefit of such RAs.

As we ran merc+mincer/reaver on alb minc/reaver had to help with instas when in pain or ranged interupts from sorc/thuerg/tic

Same on hib with BM+champ, champ had to keep BM alive during slams with help from bard/druid

Mid is even easier with BD+BD pet army and hard push from sham+pac

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It's simple really, people dont play as a team thus its safer to stay at range

As such the safest thing to kill is a tank who is usually far ahead of the support

Ramathon is absolutely right from a caster pov i have yet to meet 1 tank who sticks guard on me unless i spam the chat asking for it, and even then it is a struggle (usually resulting in myself and my healer friend making our own grp)
So it is not practical to run forward to where their tanks are to take out the support, when i can just sit back and nuke from a safe distance

From a tank POV i guard switch like in daoc, its a bit more cumbersome in war but if you watch your squishies you can guard them before the tanks reach them.
BUT as a result your dmg is much lower than if you went all out offensive, as such your xp is lower which is probably why i have yet to meet a IB outside guild who plays their class properly

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
It's simple really, people dont play as a team thus its safer to stay at range

As such the safest thing to kill is a tank who is usually far ahead of the support

Ramathon is absolutely right from a caster pov i have yet to meet 1 tank who sticks guard on me unless i spam the chat asking for it, and even then it is a struggle (usually resulting in myself and my healer friend making our own grp)
So it is not practical to run forward to where their tanks are to take out the support, when i can just sit back and nuke from a safe distance

From a tank POV i guard switch like in daoc, its a bit more cumbersome in war but if you watch your squishies you can guard them before the tanks reach them.
BUT as a result your dmg is much lower than if you went all out offensive, as such your xp is lower which is probably why i have yet to meet a IB outside guild who plays their class properly

That is the root of all evul imo, lack of benefits from helping the grp. Like yesterday i ran in tor anroc, small grp from guild rand 2 BWs+2 healers i ran with a normal grp, i made twice the healing they did. my exp was around 9 k they all got well over 15 k. Kinda leaves us with solo BWs doing dmg or solo WHs getting a few solo kills as top exp/renowns earners.

I myself tried the same tactic on my WH, got more then twice the exp compaired to nbr 2 i scenario did kinda sad...

Ging

Part of the furniture
Ooo lots of familiar posters here and yet no slagging off :)

Hi all!

I just started playing so have no idea wtf all ye acronyms mean! But it all sounds fairly familar!

boinged

Fledgling Freddie
I've almost levelled out of T3 and have spent a lot of time in scenarios, especially TA with my WE.

Some matches I'll stealth to one of the healers (or one of the many BWs) on a suicide mission to give my team an opportunity to push forward. It's nice to see them advance over my corpse but spending 1/3 of my time running to the bauble and 1/3 dead waiting to respawn gets tired fast.

So then I mix it up and fight on the front lines. I'm specced as anti-armour anyway. Here I can at least slice through the tanks quickly and hope the whole team will advance. I may even get a heal if I'm lucky.

I would prefer it if our tanks would advance past their tanks at least, which would cause enough panic to give me cover to take out their healers and get out alive. At the start of the match when everyone is intermingled on the top I can really cause some damage in the confusion.

Tank DPS isn't great so attacking another tank seems a bit strange and attacking a healer will at least force them to self-heal but that's about it. Tank targets should be MDPS and RDPS.

I think really it all boils down to people playing it too safe. Healers at the back, casters next, then some tanks, mirror this for the other team. The casters and healers are out of range of their counterparts and nuke/heal the central melee, hoping to clear them so their frontline can finally move forward.

It's immensely boring and has been the way things have been done in MMO combat for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom