News Pentax K-7 released today

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok, there is no dedicated photography forum for this, so here is as good as anywhere. Since I'm a Pentax owner, I thought I'd share :).

Pentax released a new DSLR today, the K-7. It's caused quite a stir across the photography sites/blogs in the past few weeks.

PENTAX K-7 Digital SLR - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

A rather serious DSLR that's expected to better the "serious enthusiast / semi-pro" Nikon D300 & Canon 50D (except smaller and lighter than them).

The beauty of the Pentax models is that the brand new models of today are compatible with the superb back catalogue of Pentax lenses since the 70s. Given that image stabilisation is built into the body and not the lens, you get IS on these old lenses and save money and weight on the new lenses since they don't need IS built into the lens.

Expected retail price at launch in mid-June is £1299.99. I won't be changing my Pentax K20D, there's not enough of a difference between it and the K-7 to warrant the cost really.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wow, that is pretty awesome. especially on a (pro)consumer level camera o0

old.user4556

It's a camera, it looks like every other DSLR on the planet, it wasn't designed to be attractive. We all know you want your DSLR to be pink Gaff ;).

... and it's not plastic and it's not meant to look like leather. It's a very grippy rubber-esque material that you feel confident holding it (you'll notice it's only applied where you hold it) when your hands are a bit sweaty. There would be a risk of dropping it if it was smooth plastic and metal would be no use on a camera that is designed to be able to used in the field at up to -10c.

old.user4556

Edit: ignore that completely, that's the casing I was talking about, not the grip.

"Fiber reinforced plastic polymer covers around a rugged stainless steel chassis" is the main body.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's a camera, it looks like every other DSLR on the planet, it wasn't designed to be attractive. We all know you want your DSLR to be pink Gaff ;).

... and it's not plastic and it's not meant to look like leather. It's a very grippy rubber-esque material that you feel confident holding it (you'll notice it's only applied where you hold it) when your hands are a bit sweaty. There would be a risk of dropping it if it was smooth plastic and metal would be no use on a camera that is designed to be able to used in the field at up to -10c.

I'd buy one of these then:
dmc-g1r.jpg

(although this is dog-ugly as well. And not a real SLR).

Seriously though, consumer products that don't consider aesthetics usually fail, its just one of those facts of life. When it comes to a choice between this and an equally good, similarly priced Canon or Nikon, unless you've already got the lenses, one of those will get the nod. I'd be happy to take a bet if we could ever find sales figures.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I was just going to mention the g1, nice concept.

I wish I could buy the pentax, my dad has loads of old pentax lenses from years ago that I could then use. Problem is, I have no money :(

Still cheaper than buying new lenses for my cannon.

old.user4556

I'd buy one of these then:
dmc-g1r.jpg

(although this is dog-ugly as well. And not a real SLR).

Seriously though, consumer products that don't consider aesthetics usually fail, its just one of those facts of life. When it comes to a choice between this and an equally good, similarly priced Canon or Nikon, unless you've already got the lenses, one of those will get the nod. I'd be happy to take a bet if we could ever find sales figures.

Absolutely Gaff; I guess it depends on what one's requirements are from a DSLR. The problem with Pentax, I feel, is that it's taken them quite a while to get up to scratch with the Canikons of the world. This it an offering that should prove to sit somewhere between the top of the line offering of the APS-C format Canikons and the entry-level full frame bodies (Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 5D MK2 ... at twice the price).

For me personally, the knowledge that the K-7 and indeed my K20D are fully weather and dust sealed is a big plus over the D300 and EOS 50D's partial weather sealing (it rains in Scotland, a lot ;) ). That and the IS built into the body means I'm not going to break the bank on lenses, but then I'm never going to be a pro photographer so moving over to Nikon and Canon wouldn't make a lot of sense for me.

This will all be a moot point if the image quality of the K-7 ends up being pish, but I doubt it ;).

old.user4556

The Japanese users have got their hands on them, the video quality looks really good.

(edit: you'll need to look at these URLs in a proper window to appreciate the higher resolution).

YouTube - mic test

YouTube - 箱根大涌谷ã«ã¦

I'd be interested to know what Tom thinks of DSLRs and their video capabilities (he being a pro video bloke) - Tom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom