PC Zone DAOC coverage

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Don't know if others have noticed, but DAOC has slowly been getting more coverage in the UK pc magazine PC Zone. Last month they included the NF download on their cover dvd, and this month NF has a full review. They gave it 80%, and summed it up pretty well. It's also listed in their top 5 mmorpgs. Should help attract atleast a few new players to try it in the UK, though how many try it and how many stay of course only time will tell. But atleast it looks like GOA/Mythic are doing some work on getting it covered :D

Bishibosh

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm not bought a gaming magazine in a year or so, but I remember that they always used to dislike daoc after a few months, saying that there wasn't enough to it, nice that they've changed their minds, but I'm not sure how successful daoc can be nowadays for newcomers anyway... Would you want to start daoc at lvl 1 with no guild, money or daoc know-how nowadays?

Maular

Fledgling Freddie
Bishibosh said:
Hmm not bought a gaming magazine in a year or so, but I remember that they always used to dislike daoc after a few months, saying that there wasn't enough to it, nice that they've changed their minds, but I'm not sure how successful daoc can be nowadays for newcomers anyway... Would you want to start daoc at lvl 1 with no guild, money or daoc know-how nowadays?

Did it a quite few months ago now after returning to DAOC, and its crap no one helps and no one cares lol the odd player gives u a few items etc, but most dont believe your new and dont get me started on getting groups.

:(

Then off course you get to 50 and realise your not worth jack shit until u get some uber artis........you spend months getting those together and find out u need a BuffBot........The list goes on..........

DAOC is its own worst enemy

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Maular said:
Did it a quite few months ago now after returning to DAOC, and its crap no one helps and no one cares lol the odd player gives u a few items etc, but most dont believe your new and dont get me started on getting groups.

:(

Then off course you get to 50 and realise your not worth jack shit until u get some uber artis........you spend months getting those together and find out u need a BuffBot........The list goes on..........

DAOC is its own worst enemy

What you describe are more about attitudes rather than the game itself. I'm not sure how much of the problems faced are about the game or the community. Could easily say the community is it own worst enemy...

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Isnt that the bain of all MMORPGs?

But then again, it wouldnt be an MMORPG if there wasnt a degree of grind, and in a recent comment by Mythic, they said they will be addressing this issue of level/arti/ML grind to make it more palletable.

As for low levels, yes its now a problem, but what would fix it. Perhaps its time Mythic gave everyone /level 20 and gave up on the lowbie grind.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
When i first started which was in the second year just after darkness falls had been released. had access to lots of other new players if each realm atracted at least 50 new players then your looking at enough people to group with.

the problem is if 1 or 2 people join there isnt enough lower members to join.

tolshock

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
What you describe are more about attitudes rather than the game itself. I'm not sure how much of the problems faced are about the game or the community. Could easily say the community is it own worst enemy...

The attitude of the gaming community has a lot to do with how good a game is. Sure, a game can look really great on paper, but if the community has a bad attitude, then the game suffers no matter how great the game itself is.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
Don't know if others have noticed, but DAOC has slowly been getting more coverage in the UK pc magazine PC Zone. Last month they included the NF download on their cover dvd, and this month NF has a full review. They gave it 80%, and summed it up pretty well. It's also listed in their top 5 mmorpgs. Should help attract atleast a few new players to try it in the UK, though how many try it and how many stay of course only time will tell. But atleast it looks like GOA/Mythic are doing some work on getting it covered :D

Agreed. It is nice to see it getting some coverage somewhere where UK gamers might notice it.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Boni said:
Agreed. It is nice to see it getting some coverage somewhere where UK gamers might notice it.
Aye, and that's where we come on.. people will recognize the game we're playing and (hopefully) enjoying. So more players and stuff, and I hope that Catacombs WILL make it easier for new players to get to level 50.

tolshock

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
Aye, and that's where we come on.. people will recognize the game we're playing and (hopefully) enjoying. So more players and stuff, and I hope that Catacombs WILL make it easier for new players to get to level 50.

Actually, 1.71 really makes it easier for new people to level faster, if they choose the realm/server with the most underdog bonuses. Didn't take me and my friend very long to get to 50 on the US servers. Didn't know anyone over there, we were unguilded, we soloed or duoed most of the time from lvl 1-45. Got free lvls every 2nd day, 120% camp bonus and so on... Oh, and as a lowbie in a higher lvled group, you can start doing some damage thanks to the lowbie bonus you get if the grp leader is 5+ lvls above you. Let's hope it'll be a lot easier for newcomers soon then... :)

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
80% is kinda good for a such bad gameplay as daoc have, but I still say I love it tho its like those good old muds you can return to and you know how it is.

I've been playing world of warcraft lately and ofc all of it is new fun and somehow very similar to daoc, I really want to get to pvp level tho but 1 week left of that... (open beta) and well what im trying to say is even if I do gonna play wow when it get to europe retail release daoc might be good to have when you want to go pvp with your highend twinked high realmrank char.

Anyu
zorena level 20 mage on test13

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
ToA and farmers killed the last pieces of community togetherness that daoc had. When i first started daoc I had come from ultima online where you're vs 'everyone' and have to choose friends carefully. But in daoc it was different back then, because it was split into realms that were essentially 'on the same team' everyone was friendly, helpful and would often go out of their way to help even.

Of course this has changed now where rather than realm vs realm on an rvr server it's become guild vs guild even if they're in the same realm as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom