PC shuts down in DAOC when zoning

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Only started happening in the last couple of days, i.e. it didn't start the minute I began running the DR client. At first I thought it was completely random, but it seems to happen mainly when I'm zoning - the PC hangs for a second or two then shuts down completely. Doesn't happen in any other application than DAOC. Doesn't seem to be any one particular set of zones that will make it crash - I had crashes exiting Jordheim, exiting Kobold Undercity, entering Halls Of Helgardh, and entering TOA, all just last night.

System is:
WinXP Pro
Athlon XP 2200
768MB DDR
GeForce 4 Ti4600
ASUS A7N8-X mobo
(yeah, I know it's a bit behind the times, I'm building a new PC-beast now)

Checked in Event Viewer; in System, corresponding to the time of the crashing, I have: "The Ati HotKey Poller service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

...and in Applications at the same times, I have an error for the True Vector Engine: "The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer."

I don't even use an ATI graphics card so I have no clue how I'm getting an ATI error message. True Vector Engine is a component of my Zone Alarm firewall, but I was running with it switched off at the time to see if that would cure the problem (obviously unsuccessfully).

Anyone got any ideas?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
try it on the toa client and see if the problem persists.

there was something about turning off a checksum or something, im sure eggy or one of the others will know....maybe that needs to be done.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, I used to use ZoneAlarm firewall.. it would often shut my pc down at random (here a click sound then reboot) only when running daoc.

Changed firewall aint had a problem since, Check you FW for now i guess ;/

Edit: Didn't even notice you were using Zone Alarm firewall - That really was a problem for me mate.

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Might be worth running the ATI uninstall tool from their downloads page. Have you used a card in the past with ATI drivers installed?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Roalith said:
Might be worth running the ATI uninstall tool from their downloads page. Have you used a card in the past with ATI drivers installed?
Nope, never gone near ATI. Bit bewildered by that one.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Infanity said:
Hmm, I used to use ZoneAlarm firewall.. it would often shut my pc down at random (here a click sound then reboot) only when running daoc.

Changed firewall aint had a problem since, Check you FW for now i guess ;/

Edit: Didn't even notice you were using Zone Alarm firewall - That really was a problem for me mate.
Yeah? I've never had a problem with it before now. I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens, I guess.

btw thanks for the quick replies guys :cheers:

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Yeah? I've never had a problem with it before now. I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens, I guess.

btw thanks for the quick replies guys :cheers:

Before you un-install it - Make sure you turn on windows firewall .. Just incase you got anything waiting to get in.

I never had a problem with ZA untill then - But im 99% sure thats your problem - Or its just a coincidence that i had the same problem ;/

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I see it's an nforce-based mobo.

As Bahumat says, try going to device manager, selecting your network card, go into properties->advanced and look for hardware checksumming and turn it off.

Had similar problems which were fixed by doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom