PC reboot after "Quit"

Arilinn

Loyal Freddie
Hiya.
I've seen quite a few threads with this as topic, looked at the threads but no solutions were written.
The problem is basically when I press the Quit button on the character menu pc just reboots.
Can anyone please help me?

Computer info:
AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual
core processor 4400+
2gig DDR ram
nVidia GeForce 7800gtx

Thanks! :)

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
I think a windows reinstall would work best; I think your logoff.exe orsomething is bugged.

On the other hand.. your temperatures maybe off the limit, and it's only getting noticed when you quit? _ feel with ur hand on top of the PSU and on the side where the CPU is.. if's it too hot to touch.. something is wrong. You can also google for help on measurement by software and what it should be.

Secondly, update all you know about heh.
1) Directx (if it's not already 9.0c _latest_)
2) Videocard driver (nvidia.com / ati.com)
3) Bios (if you know how)
4) Windows stuff :>

edit; Seems like you have a power consuming setup.. what BRAND (search :p) and how much WATT is your Power Suppy Unit? (Open up case, look where ever the power cable goes in, in the back)

Guldske

Fledgling Freddie
i have pretty much same system, except i have dual geforce 7800gtx. i have no problems at all, so yes a windows reinstall could solve it

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
The reboot can be caused by a fatal system error. There is actualy a bluescreen displaying it but you cant see it cause the system is set to restart instantly.

You can turn that off so you can see what causes the error. (I have a german version of XP so I might have some problems explaining but I'll try anyways.)

Open your system properties.
Select the 'extended' tab.
Click on settings for 'Start and Recovery'
Uncheck 'Automatic Reboot'
Click 'OK'

I added some screenies. In the case that I translated wrong they might give you an idea where to click.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 11

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
btw, you can find your error log this way:

Start, configuration screen, systemmanagement (or something equal), logs
Shows where and what went wrong.

anyway.. should the problem still occur after the updates, it's prolly your power supply unit... but without knowing what you have now.. it's hard to say it's actually that :)

I think you will need atleast 450Watt BrandA for what you have now.. this equals about 550W for a brand x

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
If, after your PC restarts, you get the windows error report thing, it might be an idea to send it. I say this because it will then give you a diagnostic of the error message that usually points to the problem. TBH, it sounds like a driver problem.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
i have exactly the same problem. i sent the report and it said that the problem is caused because of my graphic card. I find it quite logical tbh because i have seen a few things also besides the reboot ( while playing the game crushes or the screen gets dark for 1 sec etc) and i have come up to the conclusion that my card is dying.

Now if your card is new i would recommend to make a format first, update to the last drivers and see how it goes. Mine sux (geforce fx5600xt ) so i would change it after all :p

gl :)

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
had this problem some time ago using the lastest drivers (at that time) from nvidia... solved it by uninstalling the gfx drivers and installing a previous version

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I have experienced the same problem.

Sometimes when quiting the pc locks up and forces a reboot.

Again its a 7800gtx.

Also get a problem that when loading DAOC it locks up between displaying the splash screen and the loading bar screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom