PC Problems

Himse

FH is my second home
Guys, i seem to be having a few pc problems.

After a general amount of time, sometimes my pc will completely lock up, crash and i have to reset it, this may happen 3 times a night or so, i've virus scanned it etc and cleaned it out but it still seems to happen.

Also when i play DAoC, i seem to randomly just go "linkdead" even though i have no lag, it just goes straight to the ld screen at any time it feels like, sometimes i can play for hours without it, perhaps all day, and others it will do it 3/4 times a day.

Maybe its overheating, or Windows xp 64bit?

No clue tbh :<

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Mmm, just sounds like general instability.

Any more clues - does it happen under cpu load and/or graphical load? Does it happen when you are running something specific?

Check the event log under application and system - see if there are any clues.

I'd start off by running some cpu, ram and graphics tests see if you can pin it down.

No reason to suspect XP 64bit (just yet!).

*edit
Oh and the stock answer - chipset drivers, graphics drivers, soundcard drivers, directx, mobo bios - update them blah blah blah - you know the score.

Himse

FH is my second home
All Drivers are updated.

I dont think its the CPU.

Generally it happens when i run msn + CS together, i tab out & it crashes like fook.

With DAoC i don't get it, it just randomly crashes almost, no lag, and pc is fine after, it just says i've gone linkdead & quits.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Run those different tests.
Prime95 for cpu
memtest for memory
looping 3dmark for the graphics (anyone else got any other suggestions regards graphics testing?)

If its all solid under them, then at least you can rule out overheating, bad gcard, bad ram, dodgy power supply under load etc.

And do look at the event log.

Oh under daoc there is a log file that might record why it disconnected - might give you a clue. errors.log or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom