Pc problems! :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Ok, seeing as my graphics card was a bag of wank, I now run my pc off the onboard graphics card.

The problem is, the pc sometimes just cuts out, no shutdown message or anything. The power just goes

Is it the motherboard overheating?

aika

Can't get enough of FH
had the same, with 7900GT, raised the shutdown treshold for mb temperature in the Bios and its ok since then :)

DeathsBows

Fledgling Freddie
he meant in bios theres a setting you can set the Temp in case it gets too hot, not exactly the best thing to do but it would work.

its shutting down for a reason. just upping the temp and making it hotter is not helping a lot.

whys it getting hot ? useless fan or maybe just a cheap heatsink, MB onboard graphics are not really any good for playing a heavy loaded 3d game it takes alot of doing making it run hot get a decent small fan on the heatsink or whatever to cool it down,

just a thought ! maybe thats not your problem

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Not at home, so can't find the exact place to help you:

Google: PC Rebooting with error messages

Will give you a BSOD so you can google the error message and fix the error :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Not at home, so can't find the exact place to help you:

Google: PC Rebooting with error messages

Will give you a BSOD so you can google the error message and fix the error :)

I dont get any error messages, it just seemingly runs out of power and cuts off. Recently, it will not even boot up, I am thinking the processor is knackered? Or maybe the power pack? Im not 100% sure about pcs

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
start button > Run > eventvwr

check it around the times the computer shut down, it might give you a clue in there. Also generally if your computer shut down because of temperatures the next time you turn it on it'll warn you of this before asking you to press a key to boot.

If it helps there's a PC at work doing the same thing (Dell Optiplex 745) I'll let you know if I find out what's causing it.

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
start button > Run > eventvwr

check it around the times the computer shut down, it might give you a clue in there. Also generally if your computer shut down because of temperatures the next time you turn it on it'll warn you of this before asking you to press a key to boot.

If it helps there's a PC at work doing the same thing (Dell Optiplex 745) I'll let you know if I find out what's causing it.

Doesnt "normaly" your pc-speaker beep a few times in advance? (before shutting down)?

(tho you must have plugged it in haha :p)
maybe try cleaning the cooling blocks (or what ever its called in english)
Best way to go is vacuum cleaner.. and perhaps a toothpick to clean between the ribs.

But i also had a problem like that a while back.
some error on my HD. everytime it read that sector it crashed :S
new HD fixed it tho ;)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Figured out what was wrong. The bloody power connector on my motherboard was melted to the power box connector :p

Had to snap it off, it was fuxxed good :(

No more pc for me for a while :'(

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Ouch!

is it the PSU or the mobo that you'll have to replace? PSUs can be had for less than £30 (although granted not the best quality).

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Doesnt "normaly" your pc-speaker beep a few times in advance? (before shutting down)?

(tho you must have plugged it in haha :p)
maybe try cleaning the cooling blocks (or what ever its called in english)
Best way to go is vacuum cleaner.. and perhaps a toothpick to clean between the ribs.

But i also had a problem like that a while back.
some error on my HD. everytime it read that sector it crashed :S
new HD fixed it tho ;)

I currently work in a school ( handed my notice in on monday) turned out to be the power socket on the wall being iffy. Of course nobody had thought of this before I turned up.. idiots!

The fact that the monitor, printer, projector and the mini-fridge all went off at the same time was a bit of a clue..

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Ouch!

is it the PSU or the mobo that you'll have to replace? PSUs can be had for less than £30 (although granted not the best quality).

Its the motherboard that is fucked, though a new psu wouldnt go amis.

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
better get some PSU thats not a stock item ;)
and better get a pretty high Wattage one..
so if you upgrade/add more stuff in the PC.. it wont feck up ;)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I currently work in a school ( handed my notice in on monday)

Yeah, probably best you leave before little suzy works out what "taste the snake" was really all about...

Hope you're leaving for something better tho.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Yeah, probably best you leave before little suzy works out what "taste the snake" was really all about...

Hope you're leaving for something better tho.

Priceless news item headed for the local and national rags ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom