PC lockups

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Happened three times since I got my new PC...

When playing Bioshock, DAOC or (gaps) Sims2 the PC will freeze and the last 2 seconds of audio will start to loop and stutter. Mouse and keyboard are non responsive - have to do a cold boot.

Only happens when in games - Ive used the PC alot for browsing the net and stuff and its been fine then. Done a windows update and installed the latest GFX driver, any clues what do try next ?

Intel Dual Core 6750, 4GB, Geforce 8800GTX, WinXP, DirectX 9.0c

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
I'm having the same problems whilst playing TM. When it loads a new map, the game freezes and sound stops for a few seconds. Need a reboot afterwards aswell.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Any lingerie pics of WPC Lockups ? Bet she's hot

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Try reinstalling your sound card drivers. I've had a similar problem like that before.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I was rather amazed when playing BF2142 when it crashed straight to a...bluescreen! :eek6:

Haven't seen those since the loading screen of grand theft auto.

Seems to happen randomly, with this or that happening. Usually with a hud change or something. Nothing i can't live with.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Try reinstalling your sound card drivers. I've had a similar problem like that before.

I concur... this was happening to me for 2 months after I reinstalled XP couldn't figure it out, and it was really bugging me. After downloading and reinstalling the audio drivers everything was great.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I was rather amazed when playing BF2142 when it crashed straight to a...bluescreen! :eek6:

Haven't seen those since the loading screen of grand theft auto.

Seems to happen randomly, with this or that happening. Usually with a hud change or something. Nothing i can't live with.

Surely a blue screen means you should get it sorted? :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Surely a blue screen means you should get it sorted? :D

It's not the classic bluescreen, it's just a blue...screen :D

Graphics thingy i believe, should sort it, but this comp is f*cked anyway.

Gamah

Banned
seems you have just wacked a system together without checking hardware compatibility.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
If you get a Blue Screen, make a note of the stop code (I know, its a pain) and maybe worth googling the stop code. Most likely its a memory issue.

Hope you get it sorted ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you get a Blue Screen, make a note of the stop code (I know, its a pain) and maybe worth googling the stop code. Most likely its a memory issue.

Hope you get it sorted ;)

I actually meant i'm getting a blue screen, not the BSOD, so there's only blue on screen and the machine boots. Nothing else on screen.

Just take a blue pixel and pass it around :D

Noone can say anything about that, or hasn't yet as i've bene asking around.

Only game i'm getting it with by the way, never before has my comp crashed on anything.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Had the same issue with an older machine. Athlon 64+ 3000 with a 7950 Ultra. In March, before I took a work enforced break, it used to run DAOC no problem full screen. Now I can only get it to work in Window mode with effects off. Even in windowed with effects on it sometimes freezes and a reset is required. Only used to load BB but still annoying.

New PC I built with Athlon dual core and Sli 2 x 8800 GTS also was playing up. full screen 1600 x 1200 no lag or anything but the tuffs of grass were flikering on and off as i moved around DAOC. Finally fixed this by assigning only cpu0 to the game.dll. Yes I know DAOC doesn't use Sli. Tried taking a card out same problems still occured only the cpu change made a difference.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Could be many things, overheating or gfx card check those 2 first. Had a similar problem with my old athlon when it overheated and also with a faulty 6800 gfx card.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Could be many things, overheating or gfx card check those 2 first. Had a similar problem with my old athlon when it overheated and also with a faulty 6800 gfx card.

New rig is water cooled and never gets above 37 degrees, so no overheat issue the.

The old rig is not temp prob as I have run the machine 48 hours + playings vids on loop etc then as soon as I try the game in Full Screen it freezes with audio still playing. Wierd! Tried all sorts of drivers, uninstalled hardware to system minimum etc still no luck. also tried a couple of 7600 GTX cards - same issue.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I actually meant i'm getting a blue screen, not the BSOD, so there's only blue on screen and the machine boots. Nothing else on screen.

Just take a blue pixel and pass it around :D

Noone can say anything about that, or hasn't yet as i've bene asking around.

Only game i'm getting it with by the way, never before has my comp crashed on anything.

Ah ok, my mis-interpretation then ;)

I'd say its the Graphics card, tried rolling the driver back and see if that makes a difference? only 1 game, its odd but I'd check google and see if someone else has had the same problem.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
sometimes when i play daoc for 3hours or so round heavy action with 2 accs duel logged the main account just shuts off.. no microsoft error reporting nada.. im assuming its the Ai-Booster program that comes with the motherboard stopping the comp overheating but it stays round 38-40degress at that point which isnt too bad.. is it ?
then cools back to 32ish

if i got some kind of error msg or something to point me in the right direction i wouldnt mind much but atm its just irritating

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You guys need to turn off 'automatic reboot on crash' if you want to see the blue screens with stop codes. Windows crashing without either a standard stop code screen or a full BSOD should be very very rare these days, if that is what you are experiencing then it could well be faulty hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom