PC keeps powering off

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Stumped as to what it could be although i'm thinking psu as it literally just powers down without a single error or anything, the same way it would if you turned it off at the wall :( what do you techies reckon? my mate reckons its the gfx card not getting enough juice from my psu (psu is 800w or so although it is getting on abit now)

It only seems to do it when I run graphic intense games (doubt its the card ATI XFX 4890 only games its done it with is Modern Warfare 2, Oblivion - both running in max possible details/aa etc)

It doesnt do it when just browsing the net/watching videos and playing lesser graphic intense games (quake 3 for example or L4D2)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Gonna be a difficult one - is the PSU a crappy one? If not 800w should be plenty, unless it's dying.

Is there nothing in Event Viewer that suggests something at fault?

Also will be worth checking temperatures and cleaning out the connectors from PSU to MB/GPU.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
give it a bloody good clean, then try with the case open...

soze

I am a FH squatter
If its only when you stress the Graphics it sounds like a fault with the card maybe overheating and shutting your machine down. If you have access to a spare try running your machine with a different card and check the results.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
dust ... poorly fitting heat sink on cpu .. or just a faulty and over heating psu

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Gonna be a difficult one - is the PSU a crappy one? If not 800w should be plenty, unless it's dying.

Is there nothing in Event Viewer that suggests something at fault?

Also will be worth checking temperatures and cleaning out the connectors from PSU to MB/GPU.

Its an Antec psu, cpu temp is around 40 ish idle about 50 or so under load so thinking its not the temp.

i'll try the above and give it a good clean, its 2x 120mm fans i've got on it so they're gathering dust fast as hell shall keep you updated after a good clean etc.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's not the CPU temp, it's the GFX card GPU temp causing the shutdown - I've had the same thing previously...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It's not the CPU temp, it's the GFX card GPU temp causing the shutdown - I've had the same thing previously...

Gimme a minute i'll find it out :p i'll start MW2 up and give it time to build up temp.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH

Strange, I would have thought visual artifacts to start appearing on screen before then? But, I guess it never hurts to see what you're gfx temps are under load.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
definately isnt the temp, with Oblivion running @ ultra high settings it went upto 57 degrees max - MW2 on max all 56-58 degrees.

idle it was 39-42 - so i'm stumped again - is there no program I can use that would show why its powering down? or atleast an error code of some sort.

Edit: i've also got the side off the pc atm + cleaned all dust from it + disconnected/cleaned and reconnected all connectors.

Really winding me up now because it only does it with select games, its not doing it with World of Warcraft, Left 4 Dead 2 or Company of Heroes :( its only doing it with MW2/Oblivion so far.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i guess its the psu then .. my wifes one did that would intermittently power down for no known reason .. bought her a new one and everything worked fine

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Embattle

FH is my second home
Suspect PSU, esp if you turn off Auto reboot since a graphics card will gneerally still produce errors.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
i got the corsair 650 watt which works fine for hers

reckon it'll be enough? i don't run a great deal in this pc just an E8400/4gig of ram/2x 1tb hd's/ati 4890/5 case fans

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
aye your running ok but crashing .. i think theres a fault in your psu rather than its underpowered

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Right then i'll get that corsair one, not that i don't trust antec :p but the corsair one is abit cheaper and it got good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom