Help PC help

- English -

Resident Freddy
8500GT 512MB

typical cost effective graphics card i think.

Want at least the 8800 series imo

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Not great for the money considering it has no Monitor imo.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Uara, go to the WAR forums and check my system spec post.. Look at the SECOND spec I posted, falls JUST (by £8) over the £500 budget, but has no screen/OS.

Uara

Part of the furniture
ahhh cheers will have a look at that!

Helme

Resident Freddy
Could always go for this else:

CPU: Intel C2D E8400
MoBo: Asus P5Q-E
GFX: ATi Radeon HD4850
Case+PSU: Antec Sonata III(with a 500W, top rated Antec PSU)
RAM: 4GB OCZ PC6400(800MHz)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 320GB

Will run new games just fine, and if you decide to upgrade in the future you can just get another HD4850 and put it in Crossfire and you are good to go!

It's £494 with freight included from the site I used, there's probably some better site but that's the onlyone I know in the UK that doesn't rip you off(Overclockers.co.uk).

Reason I went with a DualCore instead of QuadCore as I know it will come up from people is that, it's simply put much better for games unless you overclock - but still the DualCore clocks better so it's pretty meh in the end, the E8400 is cheaper than an Q6600 and delivers much more so it's a solid choice in my eyes.

edit: Yeah you will have to put it together yourself, tho I think Aria offers that at like £30. It's not really hard tho, and there's plenty of places to look on the internet for advice or 'how to' guides, including video tutorials. Not to speak about the manuals being very helpful, I mean my Athlon CPU came with a 35 step picture guide, most of it was moving the processor into position :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Could always go for this else:

CPU: Intel C2D E8400
MoBo: Asus P5Q-E
GFX: ATi Radeon HD4850
Case+PSU: Antec Sonata III(with a 500W, top rated Antec PSU)
RAM: 4GB OCZ PC6400(800MHz)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 320GB

Will run new games just fine, and if you decide to upgrade in the future you can just get another HD4850 and put it in Crossfire and you are good to go!

It's £494 with freight included from the site I used, there's probably some better site but that's the onlyone I know in the UK that doesn't rip you off(Overclockers.co.uk).

Reason I went with a DualCore instead of QuadCore as I know it will come up from people is that, it's simply put much better for games unless you overclock - but still the DualCore clocks better so it's pretty meh in the end, the E8400 is cheaper than an Q6600 and delivers much more so it's a solid choice in my eyes.

edit: Yeah you will have to put it together yourself, tho I think Aria offers that at like £30. It's not really hard tho, and there's plenty of places to look on the internet for advice or 'how to' guides, including video tutorials. Not to speak about the manuals being very helpful, I mean my Athlon CPU came with a 35 step picture guide, most of it was moving the processor into position :p

Would you recommend getting Vista 64 with that?

georgie

FH is my second home
I guessed so, just wanting to be sure.

:cheers:

[H]ardForum had some nice help for those considering x64:

# Make sure there are x64 drivers for all the components in your system (Mainboard, TV Tuner, Graphics Card, Ethernet Card, Wireless Card, etc.)
# Google and make sure that the programs you need to have work will still work on x64, or if there are updates available to make them x64 compliant (maybe even a different x64 version of the program)
# Google and make sure that devices you use with your system all will work on x64 and download appropriate x64 drivers (Cameras, Webcams, Printers, Scanners, etc.)

Personally I'd stick with XP, but that's just me.

Oh wait, no it isn't. :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
Only driver issues you'll have in 64bit is if you are using some obscure 10 year old device tbh. I personally have had only positive usage of Vista, but if you are unsure about the whole 64bit thing you can still buy the Home Premium 32bit version which does actually support 4GB ram with no problems, else it's a pretty minor point, you won't really notice much performance boost after 3GB ram in games, its just easier to buy 4GB than 3 :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
would you bother going with Vista Home Basic 64 OEM ?

If I pay for more ram, I want it to work :-s

/edit blast your ninja edit!

/edit2 why is 64bit cheaper than 32?

Surely you might as well go with 64 if you can?

Helme

Resident Freddy
No idea why it's cheaper, it's usually the other way around here oO

Yeah just go for the cheaper tbh. the point is quite moot seing as the oldest part in that setup is probably from mid/late 2007 :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Only driver issues you'll have in 64bit is if you are using some obscure 10 year old device tbh. I personally have had only positive usage of Vista, but if you are unsure about the whole 64bit thing you can still buy the Home Premium 32bit version which does actually support 4GB ram with no problems, else it's a pretty minor point, you won't really notice much performance boost after 3GB ram in games, its just easier to buy 4GB than 3 :p

QFT

Vista will cause you no problems on a brand new machine.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
with 4 gig ram you will want a 64bit os so you may aswell go vista if its cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom