pc going a bit weird

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
when i check system processes.. always in system idle mode.. and after 5 mins it refuses to acknowledge i have a cd/dvd drive.

everything is defragged, scanned.. no problems there.. any ideas peeps?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Always in system idle mode. As in no activity at all, even when you are running games or something?

I know that newer CPU's actually shut down cores and/or underclocks when they are not needed, but nothing at all sounds a bit too much.

Power saving could also be the cd/dvd drive. Anyone hade a look at your BIOS l8tly? Could be just borked aswell. Tried putting a cd/dvd in it to see if it reads it at all?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Any sony games installed that may have put their DVD drive buggering rootkits on?

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
goes into system idle mode even while running WoW.. and when i bring up my computer.. the drive just isnt there

and no.. no Sony games

Syri

FH is my second home
I'd check if there's any updates available for your bios, could be a rogue power saving feature.
Also, check the windows power settings. See if it acts the same if you disable all power saving features, including things like putting the screen on standby, spinning down hard drives and all that. You might need to go through a few sub-windows to find them all, but if you save it as a new power profile, something like "No power saving", then make sure it's using that. It should at least tell you if it's something windows is doing.
If upgrading the bios doesn't sort it, and neither does changing the power settings for windows, it only leaves either faulty hardware (I'd say unlikely, given the nature of it, but can't entirely be ruled out) or third party software interfering. If it's still giving trouble, download hijackthis, and post a log of the open processes. There might be something in there that someone could spot that might be a possible cause.
Hope this is some help.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
What do you mean "System Idle Mode"? Is it going to sleep? Is it hibernating? What's actually happening?

And check your event log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom