PC Gamer article

T

Tilda

Originally posted by sru
-- This comment actually annoys me a lot. Have you actually TRIED to buy a copy in the UK? No game shop in Bristol has it, even Amazon does not stock it. If you want one, you have to order from Europe. And GOA wonders why there are not enough English players? they even admitted in that article that they did not provide adequate resources to support English tech support.

www.gameplay.co.uk

Its been in their top 10 for the last year and a half now.

F

firebirth

There seems to be alot of in fighting between members of the community who are basically fed up with people moaning about GOA and problems in general and members of the community who have experienced problems and want to voice thier opinion and concern.

We are all free to speak here and I think both positive and negative comments about the subject are good for the community as a whole as it becomes more balanced.

The article in question was clearly focused on the problems with GOA over the past few months as well as the problems since the start. Maybe the arguement was a little unbalanced but both sides (or 3 mythic, GOA and customers) had thier say.

I will tackle each of the main points in turn.

The Third server discussion:
Germany and to a lesser extent are very much into RPG's and RTS games as a rule (just look at the sales of managment and RPG games in central Europe and ul see what i mean). Mythic have done some advertising for the game in the UK (mostly in PC magazines and the internet), of course being solely british I cant comment on the lvl of advertising used in France and German.
A significant percentage of players on excal are spanish (id say 2-5%) and i maybe wrong in this but i do believe a spanish server maybe launched in the future.
To be honest i dont think their are enough players to warrant a 3rd server at this time. (the argument that you should be able to play all the realms is irrelevant in terms of business sense and that most players will focus on one realm mostly).

The Patch issue
The complexiety of the game increases everytime the game is updated and the likelyhood that errors and bugs will occur even through translation (even though they are not linked) is high. Its frustrating to all european players that we have to wait for a while for patches to reach us. With the introduction of GOA only quests and events its shows that the cleint is different and a direct patch from the US could cause problems as well as annoy our friends accross the channel. The US recieves most things before we do so I dont expect it to change now :)

Customer services issue:
I have had to contact GOA several times and thier responses in my experience have been within a satisfactory time period, however there is a gulf between the way they hndle certain issues.

When a issue occurs with the game directly (bug, error, hardware problems) GOA are usually very helpful and the problem is usually solved very quickly in my experince.
However

When it comes to account issues the water gets murkier, the EULA and T&C allow GOA to suspend or terminate your account without notice or reason and this is confirmed everytime u enter the game. I have had experiences myself and with guild members where it has taken time for the problem to be identfied and dealt with. (e.g. a guild mate had a second account in which a payment failed, however GOA failed to tell him this and continued to take subscription fee's for 6 months before they terminated his account saying that he had failed to pay. this obvious miscommunication BY GOA has caused an account to be terminated because of a fault on thier side. (the account has remained closed)

So in summary GOA can handle game issues well, but account issues in my experience poorly.

there is a distinct lack of in game help and the most of it is provided by the advisory system and eminant players in the game (Tilda and Coim for instance) (ive been an advisor of Armsmen for some time, you may have seen me on such things as /a or castle sauvage :))

I think GOA could and should have a member of CS on at peak times handling problems and queries. (many dont know this but, if you type /who HELP it brings up a list of other /who commands which allow u to contact members of GOA (/who DEV - Developer <i only ever saw one after 1.45 patch> /who CSR - Customer support and /who Q something for help with quests. These commands are there so players can contact GOA in game however because none them are ever on all you can do is either ask an advisor or contact GOA via right now.

Personally I would like to see GOA CSR members in game at peak times (evenings) a few times a week as well as a telephone number you can phone for CS assistance if online resources are inadequete.

The hacker incident:
The main beef i have with GOA with the whole "hacker" incident is the lack of communication in what was going on after the 18th August. GOA have stated they did this to prevent further attacks. To me that is an excuse and we should have been told atleast that the services were comming down due to security reasons. People are responsible for keeping thier account details upto date but this issue had to be accomodated and was and most if not all these issues have now been resolved (there was extensive posts on the website fo people with password problems).

The French issue.
Its irrelevent that GOA is a french company and that a british company could do a better job as most of the GOA team are english, french, german spanish etc.

The Forum issue
I believe that GOA should have official forums so people can voice thier concerns or opinions directly to them. There is such a thing as CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM and an official forum would be able to convey the communities feelings as a whole. Its upto the community to identify and highlight opinions and problems and Its upto the forum moderators to sort through the flame and the whine to identify key points they should put to their superiors.

Overall GOA do a satisfactory job but thier is room for alot of improvement in customer services and their reaction to certain events. However GOA regularly compensate players for problems (a free day here and there) where many MMORPG's dont.

I think it would be good if some of us went over to the Planetside and SWG forum to see how thier doing to better guage GOA's overall performance.

Thats my experience and my opinion i think i give a more balanced view hopefully to whats viable and whats not. I do believe though that members of this forum shouldnt be shot down because they are complaining.

O

old.Tohtori

You forgot...

The 31337 issue:

GOA 4tehwin!!1

F

firebirth

Hey im trying to give a balanced discussion here.....

ArmsmenNeedLoveMythic!!!!

Armsmen4tehwin!1 :)

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by firebirth
Hey im trying to give a balanced discussion here.....

ArmsmenNeedLoveMythic!!!!

Armsmen4tehwin!1 :)

Aye, aye. And i'm trying to ruin it with unrelated comments :p

S

ssera

Originally posted by firebirth
The Forum issue
I believe that GOA should have official forums so people can voice thier concerns or opinions directly to them. There is such a thing as CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM and an official forum would be able to convey the communities feelings as a whole. Its upto the community to identify and highlight opinions and problems and Its upto the forum moderators to sort through the flame and the whine to identify key points they should put to their superiors.

They did, but closed them down because all you had on them was whine after whine after whine (very much like BW now). Even Mythic had their own "Dev's Round Table" on VN Boards which they closed down due to too much whining there...

O

old.Jable

I believe if the english servers were run by an english company, there would be a Union Jack incorporated onto every guild emblem and that the sun would rain gold onto all the lowbie hibs who needed it :m00:

:clap: GOA 4tehwin!!1 :clap:

P

PJS

The stable door should be shut BEFORE the horse bolts.

ps. looking forward to 3 months of hearing about Trials of Atlantis from across the pond while being unable to play it

O

old.Jable

A bird in the hand is WORTH two in the bush.

A rolling stone GATHERS no moss.

Too many cooks SPOIL the broth.

and im still no more enlightened than 2 mins ago - what horse are you talking about?

surely not this one > :m00: because thats a cow.

A

Anu

I personally have had little to no problems in the time i've played DaoC. Had a couple of EPIC quest bug trouble but was sorted in a day.
I got my new Password with-in a day of them saying they'd sent them out and the same for my subs password.

I agree they need to vastly improve there Communucation's to the Player community.

Other that that I'll also add a cow blowing bubbles :m00:

C

cjkaceBM

Originally posted by old.Kerosene
The article was indeed biased in order to make the story interesting.

Also, don't delude yourselves into thinking Mythic will do anything. Goa do bring in a lot of revenue and the sales record is proven, even if it could be substantially improved via proper marketting and distribution. However while Mythic are essentially getting profits from a reseller/service provider it's going nowhere.

The main point is we'd all pretty much got over the goings on of a few weeks ago. Let's just forget about it.

p.s. I don't whine on these boards since it's a waste of time but I did email GOA with my concerns and got zero response which was pretty much expected.

God.. I hate to agree with C-ra-J-dar-K but he's been talking sense through this thread. I'd suggest rereading his posts without bias.

erm whats with the radar inserted between my initials?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom