PC Crash

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Been away for a month or so, Came back and pc is freezing when ever it fancys.

Whats the main cause of pcs to crash, It seems to run smooth till i attempt something.

Thanks.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Kinda need some specs / os info to advise, also when it crashes bsod or freeze etc

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Amd 64 bit 3200
Gigabyte k8 triton AGP 8x/ DDR 400 mother board.
1gig ddr 3200 ram
KOB 123
Geforce fx 5500 256mb

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
has anything hardware wise changed since you last played? the thing i would check first tbh is if it is overheating, because i dunno about near you, but the temp in my living room has raised an easy 7-10 degrees within the last month.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
main cause of PC crashing these days is video card drivers.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Open up the side of your computere, and look at the different fans on processor, graphicscard and motherboard, if any of these are grey from dust, you got your problem, clean if out with a compressor or a vacuumcleaner, just be SURE to hold slighty on the fan so it wont rotate while getting cleaned, might produce enough current to run back and burn off stuff in your computer.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Infanity said:
It seems to run smooth till i attempt something.
See, that sounds to me like a PC that's fine until you place some load on the CPU then it crashes...although there are a lot of things that can cause freezing/crashing.

When it freezes, do you have to turn it off with the power button on the case? And if so, can you turn it on again straight away or do you have to wait a minute or two? I'd certainly recommend checking your CPU and system temperatures in the BIOS.

Or it can be a bad sector on the HDD that causes the crash when files on there are accessed, and if that's a Windows file then you've got problems any time to try to do just about anything.

Grab your XP disk, boot off it to the recovery console and type chkdsk /r. Shouldn't lose any data but will check the HDD; it's not as thorough as a format c: /u /c but that will lose all your data.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Might be that your PSU (power supply unit - the large box in the upper back of the comp ;) ) has gone bad during the time you were away (too much dust, corrosion, just getting old and worn, bad quality to start with etc). Symptoms (i.e. running well enough until you attempt to put load on the comp) suggests to me that would be the reason. Ive had similar problems myself, and in fact most of the time ive had comp troubles its been caused by faulty PSU's. If it starts having trouble to even boot up and you have to give it several tries you can be almost certain its the PSU.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Sound thanks, Will give it a try next time im up at home, Finally sorted the net out in this village! Its in the middle of .. well.. Nothing.

A post office within 5 miles and thats it <o/

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Still not working ;e

Full freeze, Can turn it off and straight back on... Probs just gonna buy a new pc!

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
See, that sounds to me like a PC that's fine until you place some load on the CPU then it crashes...although there are a lot of things that can cause freezing/crashing.

When it freezes, do you have to turn it off with the power button on the case? And if so, can you turn it on again straight away or do you have to wait a minute or two? I'd certainly recommend checking your CPU and system temperatures in the BIOS.

Or it can be a bad sector on the HDD that causes the crash when files on there are accessed, and if that's a Windows file then you've got problems any time to try to do just about anything.

Grab your XP disk, boot off it to the recovery console and type chkdsk /r. Shouldn't lose any data but will check the HDD; it's not as thorough as a format c: /u /c but that will lose all your data.

What you said there is what happens, What should i check for ;e ?

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
The settings we were attempting to process are corrupted and unusable. Restoring a backup may solve the problem.

Details:
[ZKChunkReader::ZKChunkReader]
[Desc: Corrupt File C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\blueyonder\PCguard\Spyware.dat]

Just had that error when i got logged on, File going corrupt, Just gonna keep things updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom