PBAOE on Albion

O

old.Galannor

Originally posted by Rhuric
I have been in a group with a ice wizzie in catas, and it rocked, also when I played a little hib I noticed that pbaoe is called for almost more then a bard (no entirely true, but almost)

Pbaoe = 3 red/purp mobs drops in seconds

We want more Ice wizzies :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Afraid I retired that ice wizzie, Rhuric... Only played him with a couple of real life friends and what random rags which could be found to fill in the missing spots :p (j/k)

Originally posted by [DK]Rawkeer
i havent bothered to read most of this thread, just gonna state some observations :)

a) PBAE is really fun to xp with, i gotta admit it :) It is fun

the downside:

b) if pbae was the fastest way to XP, then why was it mids had first 50's, then albs, and hibs not until ages after? :p

my two cents :)

Because they used the mez strategy for the first couple of months, Rawk :)

I'll try and contact ya today, Jep - started a cleric yesterday, and wouldn't mind to fill in that spot if it isn't already taken.

J

Jephtha

Lots of feedback which is great!

!if pbae was the fastest way to XP, then why was it mids had first 50's, then albs, and hibs not until ages after? "

Erm this is an easy one to answer.....firstly numbers....there were/are far more people playing on Mid and Alb then Hib!

radghast has got the point entirely.......PBAOE works very effectively in RVR what it takes is teamwork.......soemthing Hib's know about but I feel Alb doesn't - here is an example:

"well try to get of your 2 pbaoes at a , lets say mid zerker and see if you live and i will do the same but with 2 bolts then dd.

and it will be a zerker of equal lvl, he is free to use his abilitys...

will you live? "

where is the rest of the supporting grp within this situation or has our Wizard gone off by himself on a suicide mission :)

PBAOE works in RVR with proper teamplay - Simple as that. Of course it is easy for a Fire Wiz as they are based on range, does that make them better....I think not!

In the end of the day people play the characters they feel comfortable with.....if you don't like the sound of this type of grp thats no problem you don't play it simple as that....If all you want to do in RVR is fire ranged bolts...great carry on! Personally I believe you can get so much more from RVR by using your character's skills to your advantage, not just by rolling a cookie cutter class and following the rest! Same goes for xping as well..

Whatever you do Enjoy it...thats the main thing, I don't care if people think Ice Wizards suck or Fire Wizards are Uber....It's down to the class that I enjoy playing and that I feel can benefit Alb in the long run.....

F

Flimgoblin

One word:
Mastery of Concentration...

PBAoE will kill tanks at short range when you have that ability...
(tip to tanks: stand back! let it run out...)

tis once every 30m though... so not so great...

Makes body cabalists scary too :)

Chop cabalist, cabalist life taps, life taps, life taps, full hp
Chop cabalist, tap tap tap, full hp
Chop cabalist, tap tap dead troll.

Of course the troll could have ignore pain, heal up to full, outlast MoC and chop the poor cabbies head off.. but you get the idea :)

I think instead of Fin's lvl 50 armsman, you should grab a cabalist with a damage shield... send in that pet, group up all the pygmys and let it rock...

Myself and a guildmate were doing groups of 5 centurions with my earth wizard aoe and his damage shield :)

R

Radghast

Originally posted by Jephtha

radghast has got the point entirely.......PBAOE works very effectively in RVR what it takes is teamwork.......soemthing Hib's know about but I feel Alb doesn't

:) :) :) what do i win?

seriously, as a fire wizzy i know that range is the only thing that keeps me alive 80% of the time, the other 20% the nme are mezzed and/or the tanks are takeing chunks out of them so i am ignored. but when that ickle dwarf spots me..waddles over 2 me in that cute way..then turns into a evil foul smelling bitch moster of death aka bear i know my HP are gonna drop faster than a lead baloon.

now my concerns with PBAOE is that yes it deals huge dmg but because of that u are effectively painting a bullseye on you chest. Also (and im not sure bout this) wouldnt a PBAOE blast break all the mezzs? and imo the only good tank is a mezzed tank if u suddenly set them all free then..well it cant end well, unless a top lvl pbaoe it that good it can drop multiple tanks before they can find u and take a swing at u...but i doubt it.

AoE i cant remember u using PBAOE in emain? other than seraching for stealthers..how come?

Radghast - lvl 50 wizzard

officer of Equilibrium

"if a battle cant be won, don't fight it" <sun tzu>

O

old.Trapp|Uberleech

yeah you labs need to try this for your own best, I've xped to 50 with 2 chars with pbae method. Like alrdy stated pbae mage get's NO agro. And btw the 3 tanks take one mob each on them, and that pbt is cruscial.

F

Flimgoblin

pbaoe gets you aggro..

but if you're being protected and the tanks have taunted you get nowhere near the full amount of aggro and therefore squish the monsters before they squish you :)

A

AoE HoE

AoE i cant remember u using PBAOE in emain? other than seraching for stealthers..how come?

that's cuz u ain't seen me doing it..or perhaps u have effects off (i know i turn my effects off on most occasions). I use it but i use it wisely. here are some occasions where i use it.

1) sneaking with tanks to charge. (have to have a lot of ppl around to do this)
2) keep defence
3) lord room either for defend room or clear up defenders in lord room from outside (the tip here is to run up and qc pbaoe return then do it again. don't stay there and keep pbaoe unless ur sure u can outgun the hib pbaoers (which is very rare))
4) holding mile gates. (risky as hell but if ur on the defensive side u can hold off entire army by urself.)
5) qc pbaoe life saver... i saved myself many times with that.

other than that i use my baseline ice dd, 2 sec cast time, 1500 range or sometimes use ae nuke at various occasions.

to be honest, hib/mid wizards are more versatile and powerful than alb wizards. if i had chance to reroll i'd done myself a sorcerer.

O

old.Tzeentch

Pbae works differently from AE in the following way:

1) The AE is centered on the caster, with fall off damage with increasing distance.

2) Aggro is spread amongst the group. ie if a caster hits for 400 on each mob, then that damage is split in the aggro calculation amongst the group, so even someone who was not doing anything in the group, now has aggro.

PBAE method > Mezz method for XP.

Mezz requires you to kill mobs one by one, while with PBAE, you can take out the same mobs, in under 30seconds and with a lot less downtime.

About 'pbae sucks in RvR':

Incorrect.

In lord room defense, you will kill a lot of people.
In keep door defense, you will do the same.

In mass zerg RvR, you will wait for the tanks to rush toward the enemy, while you run around the side, get amongst the enemy hordes, and Pbae until you die.

If you are not dropped by the time you have let off at least 3 casts, then you will have taken out anyone with less than 1200hp <rough numbers>.

Ask any of hibernias many PBAE'rs.

O

old.Arctic

Originally posted by old.Tzeentch
Pbae works differently from AE in the following way:

About 'pbae sucks in RvR':

Incorrect.

In lord room defense, you will kill a lot of people.
In keep door defense, you will do the same.

In mass zerg RvR, you will wait for the tanks to rush toward the enemy, while you run around the side, get amongst the enemy hordes, and Pbae until you die.

If you are not dropped by the time you have let off at least 3 casts, then you will have taken out anyone with less than 1200hp <rough numbers>.

Ask any of hibernias many PBAE'rs.

i see the only good things iwth pbaoe is lord room defence, not keepdoor. WHY? b/c if there is a firewiz outside he will stand from a distance and maybe wait or spamm fire ae on the door and if anyone gets near it will get hurt.

the lord room thing is VERY good =). but can you do a char just for that? i personaly do not like getting killed everytime i am going to kill someone else =).

And just for the record, soloing with your firewizard is fun and unless you meet a zerg you can beat anything if you are good at soloing.

just my 3.5 cents =)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.Arctic

And just for the record, soloing with your firewizard is fun and unless you meet a zerg you can beat anything if you are good at soloing.

A zerg... or someone with speed... or someone with stealth...

or two people ;)

N

Ninjastyle

i'm lvling an ice wizzy now, its really fun to play :D
u'll probably see me today in keltoi, trying out my first groups :x

besides, about the bolt thing doing as much damage as pbae, its true, but u can only use bolt when players arent in combat and it has a timer
pbae can be used anytime anywhere

O

old.Takahome

Try to do 700- dmg on a shield tank with ur bolt. (actually 706 on nolby no crit... 948 rps.. tnx :p... well he´s not a tank, my dmg is usually 600+- on shield tanks)

Trapp´s got his alt lvl 50 FAST, Gordy in our realm (Anno) got lvl 50 in 7d /played, beat that, just KNOW how to play, mids learnt it first (mez)

I´ve killed 7 albs in 15 sec, just in confusion, abeit they were n00bs con yellow and blue but nonetheless I had all their death msg on my log, and that´s OUTSIDE of a keep. U must learn how to use it, or ask Gobarnachta how he does that :p

The drawback of ice wizzy not that useful in r vs r is that they´ve got no stun, so pbaoe a single 1 vs 1 situation´s hard (Zerathol, don´t try kill m meleeing, 2 pbaoe´s enough 4 rogues :p) But again, with a good group I rarely stun when I have sb on me, usualy our tanks know how to slam (again, team work´s essential). Ice wizzys got 1 baseline dd (useless) 1 spec dd snare, 1 spec dd+debuff, 1 spec aoe dd w/debuff. All about dmg, well wizzys got less versatility we know hehe...

Another tip´s not run into enemy tanks, let em have ur tank TARGETTED, so when they got hit they usually can´t cancel their target window and target u FAST enough, 2 pbaoe and a qc+ pbaoe can kill all no buffed target (if u r on top), 2 or 3 pbaoer casting at same time can kill any number of enemies in a small range, hence even one can deal havoc:

http://www.dysys.net/images/wravendeath.jpg

From: http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=35063550&replies=81

And btw, ice wizzy´s got SPEC DDs, which´s far better than baseline DDs, they r not that bad, just learn tactics (classical :p)

O

old.Ramas

Also worth bearing in mind here that the standard ice nuke is quicker than a fire nuke, this goes someway to equalising the dps rates a little...

Ice DPS: 68.3
Fire DPS: 73.0

Then consider that Ice can add on a 5% debuff and/or a 35% snare, and you can either use the cold debuff+dd to move ice dps too....

Ice DPS: 71.7

Or if attacking an enemy running at you, using the 35% snare+dd damage per distance enemy travels toward you ...

Ice DPD: 92.2
Fire DPD: 73.0

Or taking a different tack an Ice wizard teamed with a fire wizard could use their 5% aoe heat debuf+dd, then switch back to ordinary nukes while to fire wizrad nukes away and we'd compare like this....

Ice DPS + Fire DPS = 68.3 + 75.3 = 143.6
2 fire wizards = 71.7 x 2 = 143.4

My point is simply that ice wizards are not a pbaoe one-trick-pony, as many seem to assume.

N

Ninjastyle

u can say what u want, i love playing my ice wiz
diablotin.gif

J

Jiggs

I guess there are just more mana spec elds than ice spec wiz so we dont see it as much.

Go to tangler beach and most days you will see 5 fire wiz, a thurg (pet pull) a mincer and cleric AOE 20 gobs a time.

I love my ice wizz but the fire aoe is pretty effective as well.

O

old.Arctic

Originally posted by Fingoniel

A zerg... or someone with speed... or someone with stealth...

or two people ;)

i said if you were good, and if you are, then you can take them on. skalds/bards and long range mezzers can be some trouble, but 3-4 any other is easy. a stealther is no problem.

lets say assassin. it attacks and dmg you real good, then you qc root and run. then the litle assassin is no more. to take archers you will be needing to do some other stuff. but as long as it is not a zerg/bard/skald and more than 4-4(not saying that there is alot of them out there..) then there will not be that much of a problem...

N

Ninjastyle

werent u originally an ice wiz arctic ?

besides, if an assassins perfs a caster...even if u pull of qc root...whatever health is left will be gone with poison,
and in case of a shadowblade, u'll probably get oneshotted anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom