Paypal Hacked

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Fantastic, just received an e-mail to tell me that the delightful sum of $50.00 has been taken out of my account and paid to a company called Aeria Games & Entertainment.

Seeing as I've never head of this company, and the only game I've bought in the last month was Silent Hunter III via Steam, I found this very suspicious.

I've emailed the company about it, and also started an unauthorised claim investigation via Paypal, but I'm still very worried.

First time this has ever happened to me. Changed all my passwords and gubbins, but still not happy.

*sigh*

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Speaking of which, I did log into my paypal account a few days ago, but only for a few minutes.

Perhaps the details got picked up from this? Is there a decent security package I can use re: firewalls? I've got nod32 as my AV, and I use lavasoft spyware scanner.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Sorry to hear :<

I thought aeria games were free to play unless you wanted to buy points from them, which you can exchange for items in game afaik. What does it say on the transaction/invoice?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry to hear :<

I thought aeria games were free to play unless you wanted to buy points from them, which you can exchange for items in game afaik. What does it say on the transaction/invoice?

Think thats exactly what someone did, Fast. Just have a paypal receipt that tells me that I've transfered 50USD to AERIAGAMES.

Hopefully this can all be sorted out pronto.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Think thats exactly what someone did, Fast. Just have a paypal receipt that tells me that I've transfered 50USD to AERIAGAMES.

Hopefully this can all be sorted out pronto.

It sounds like a typical scam. If somebody does get hold of your account details they can't just transfer the money into their account because it would get them caught. So they create an account in an online game buy ingame items and then sell them on making it effectively impossible to trace where any money went.

Unfortunately even if you are careful online it is still possible for your computer to be infected. I would be very careful not to enter any personal details until you are confident that your computer is safe. What internet browser do you use? Is your computer up to date? Have you tried running your virus scanning software? Have you noticed anything else odd? Does anyone else use your computer?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
are you absolutely sure the email actually is from Paypal?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
what teedles said. How do you know the email is from paypal. have you logged into your account (not using any links from emails!)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, it was legit. Spyware scan picked up a few things.

Bleh, shall call my bank tomorrow as well.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you use firefox may be a good idea to use this when entering passwords etc...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4865

Kaspersky has a virtual keyboard you can use as well which helps if someone is spying what your are typing!

I know this is after the horse has bolted but maybe prevent this happening again...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just remember. You haven't been scammed. Paypal have.

Important distinction if they get arsey.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Refunded! Good news came in on Sunday.

Plus, I think I found the little bastard that gave away my details, was a keylogging trojan.

Considering in the last 2 days I've written over 20,000 words about European Enlargement and the State, I wish whoever it was the best of luck.

But also means I have to come up with more new passwords *sigh*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom