Patching - why during the day?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Surely it would make more sense to bring servers down when it is likely to have minimum disruption? :confused:

Is there a reason why it is done during the day? or just a matter of cost cutting

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Surely it would make more sense to bring servers down when it is likely to have minimum disruption? :confused:

Is there a reason why it is done during the day? or just a matter of cost cutting

What time zone is Dubai in? :)

I think everything up to 2pm CET or so on European servers is really okay.

That being said I tried to log on today morning, out of frustration after my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 server kernel (2.6.24-21) paniced, servers were down so I went back to Panicbuntu and fixed it.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Doing it during the day makes more sense, that way casual players/or people that work are not interrupted during the time when they can play. This keeps more people happy than not. Doing it in the middle of the morning is a no go because then they gotta pay overtime!

Poag

m00?
Also means they can have the day staff in to do the work, rather than the limited staffing of overnights.

Also, Also means if they need to contact the yanks your only waking them up at 5am rather than midnight :)

bronnac

Fledgling Freddie
Makes complete sense to patch during the day.

Most players play in the afternoon and evening so it works a treat..YOU should be at work in the day!!

And if you dont work, doler's shouldnt be able to afford to play :)

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
Also means they can have the day staff in to do the work, rather than the limited staffing of overnights.

Also, Also means if they need to contact the yanks your only waking them up at 5am rather than midnight :)
there are other mmos that patch at 1am GMT and they do fine.

i remember on one of there expansions that was going to take a really long time they started patching at 1am and worked right through the nite.

i wish goa would aswell

Poag

m00?
there are other mmos that patch at 1am GMT and they do fine.

i remember on one of there expansions that was going to take a really long time they started patching at 1am and worked right through the nite.

i wish goa would aswell

I'm just trying too think of another big MMO that patches at night on its euro servers, also 1am GMT is the tail end of primetime playing. So they'd be cutting off there later players. While mornings are always the least played time. people may login before they head off to too work/school, but between 9 and 3 is the lowest server population for most mmos.

Nah can't think of one, both EvE and WoW do daytime/ morning patching.
AoC does its patching during the day iirc?

Nate

FH is my second home
It would be nice but I think it makes sense to keep it a little closer to when Mythic(the guys who supposedly know what there doing!) get to work. Things will no doubt sometimes go wrong and Mythic will need to be contacted to fix it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
was just thinking from a service POV (similar to ISP's who have their downtime 4-6am)

Nate

FH is my second home
I'm sure ISP's don't have to rely on a company that gets in at 2pm(ish?) our time though

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
My current (DSL) ISP fixes problems that come up at 4-5am at 10am.

My former ISP did let me know a good month in advance that the bomb will explode at an exact time point but everything will be back after 20 minutes. (So does my server provider.)

I've paid/I'm paying way more than for Warhammer for that kind of service though and the ISPs have way more customers and more high-profile customers to justify that service(-need).

We can always F5 on FH or pr0n or something.

Vepo

Fledgling Freddie
People always have to complain about something. I can just imagine if the patch was put up during the early hours of the morning people would complain that their raid on something was ruined etc!

Just be happy that the game is being patched and improved!

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I don't think it's fair to expect them to work through the night just to patch the game, especially given the amount of times they need to do it.

Just as long as they don't end up reverting back to the old GOA standards of totally screwed up patch days where early afternoon ended up being early evening, with thousands of players being unable to play as they get back from work.

Credit where it's due though, GOA has in past run a more stable DAoC service if you exclude the patch days - Mythic tends to take their servers down for the entire day a lot more often. GOA are actually more stable with patching WAR at the moment, Mythic are taking their servers down a lot more due to unforeseen bugs appearing after patching and having to update late afternoon.

I'd say this is one area where GOA are doing better than Mythic at the moment!

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Bliz unleashed the latest WoW patch on Europe last night. It was chaos, with servers crashing every few minutes throughout most of the evening after being down for most of the day.

The current state of patching in WAR is still way better than that.

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
Yup not fair to expect them to work all through the night just to patch a game, comeon they are but poor drones like us, and would we like to work though the night, i think not.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Yup not fair to expect them to work all through the night just to patch a game, comeon they are but poor drones like us, and would we like to work though the night, i think not.

It's a 24/7 service isn't it?

As it's a 24/7 game downtime will never suit everyone, but it is well known that in general the lowest population times for most euro based mmorpg's have always tended to be in the morning.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

would you accept no internet connection from your ISP for the same timeframe?
they are poor drones like us too ;)

I think manish probably hit the nail on the head

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
As it's a 24/7 game downtime will never suit everyone, but it is well known that in general the lowest population times for most euro based mmorpg's have always tended to be in the morning.
lol you think theres more people on from say 2am-7am then there is from 7am-12noon?

bronnac

Fledgling Freddie
lol you think theres more people on from say 2am-7am then there is from 7am-12noon?

Definetly mate, most people are at work or even school/college between 7am - 12pm matey...so a bit of warhammer before breakfast is always good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom