Patch 1.75 on euro servers

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
The reply was something along the lines of: "

this is daoc europe and so you can wait until the translations are done for every other language first.

You don't like that?

F**k off to the US servers then."

Well.... I think I covered the broader points.

(oh and that if we got patched first it would mean all the French, German and now Italian and Spanish (all 5 of them) would want to play on the English servers because they got patched first and thus the English servers would be swamped.)

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Ssera said:
The reply was something along the lines of: "

this is daoc europe and so you can wait until the translations are done for every other language first.

You don't like that?

F**k off to the US servers then."

Sounds plausable that would be the reply ;)

Ssera said:
(oh and that if we got patched first it would mean all the French, German and now Italian and Spanish (all 5 of them) would want to play on the English servers because they got patched first and thus the English servers would be swamped.)

This can only be a good thing, the english servers being more populated ;)
Won't have to worry about clustering then.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
It's because we have to offer the same level of service to all customers regardless of language. In any case translation isn't the main part of the delay. Depending on the size of the patch, translation and translation testing is only about two weeks of the total process.

We have more languages to test now but we also have more test servers and we do side-by-side testing of patches in multiple languages.

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
It's because we have to offer the same level of service to all customers regardless of language. In any case translation isn't the main part of the delay. Depending on the size of the patch, translation and translation testing is only about two weeks of the total process.

We have more languages to test now but we also have more test servers and we do side-by-side testing of patches in multiple languages.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

As for the same level of service you talk about thats all well and good. The game was writen in English (all be it americanised english) all the other countries would not be bothered if they had to wait for it translating to their mother tongue.

If the game was in French for instance I would not be overly bothered if I had to wait for it translated as I would realise that it has to be translated.

As for the time between patch release and paching servers, this can only get longer.

Take for instance the patch in this thread. Looks huge compared to the last one. So by its very size will take far longer to release, add to that the testing of the other languages puts us even further behind the US, and will continue to increase the time between live US and live EU servers.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
- There is a timer in place to prevent cross-realming characters. After logging a character into one realm on the cluster, you will have to wait eight hours (real world time) before being allowed to log into another realm on that same cluster.

does this mean if i play an alb pryd char and then want to play a mid excal char i have to wait 8 hour irl time?

Tilda

Bahumat said:
- There is a timer in place to prevent cross-realming characters. After logging a character into one realm on the cluster, you will have to wait eight hours (real world time) before being allowed to log into another realm on that same cluster.

does this mean if i play an alb pryd char and then want to play a mid excal char i have to wait 8 hour irl time?

Whats been posted in a bastardised version of the US patch notes.
If you check the last friday news :)rolleyes: ) you'd see its only an hour.

IainC

Accupuncture said:
Thanks again for the quick reply.

As for the same level of service you talk about thats all well and good. The game was writen in English (all be it americanised english) all the other countries would not be bothered if they had to wait for it translating to their mother tongue.

If the game was in French for instance I would not be overly bothered if I had to wait for it translated as I would realise that it has to be translated.

As for the time between patch release and paching servers, this can only get longer.

Take for instance the patch in this thread. Looks huge compared to the last one. So by its very size will take far longer to release, add to that the testing of the other languages puts us even further behind the US, and will continue to increase the time between live US and live EU servers.

As I have already said translation adds very little additional time to the process by which patches are brought to EU servers.

The 'size' of a patch is not directly related to how long it takes to go live. Expansions obviously take a long time to go live as they add a lot of new content, in general patches don't add much new content they just make changes to existing stuff. More changes does not necessarily mean a longer delay, most things are fairly straightforward and just need a quick check to see if they are working the way the patch says they should.

As it's been a while since the last time, I'll explain againteh patch procedure so that you can see why there is a delay between US and Euro versions and where the main delays are.

1: Mythic start developing a patch. When it's more or less stable they put it on Pendragon and US players test it 'live'.
2: When the everything seems to work as it should the patch goes to live servers.
3: Mythic keep a close eye on things to see what issues crop up on live servers that testing may have missed. Very broken things get fixed now.
4: When Mythic are satisfied that the patch is stable and doesn't need additional fixes they begin work on the next patch. When that enters testing they release the final, fixed version of the last patch to us for translation and testing.
5: We translate it and put it on our internal test servers. Test staff and E&Es play around and see if things are working properly.
6: If we find a problem that isn't a translation error, we send the details back to Mythic. Mythic then look at the problem and send us a fix.
7: We test the fixed version and see what new problems may have been caused by the fix. If there are still problems, we go back to step 6. The speed with which we get fixes back from Mythic very much depends on their schedule. In the runup to a major new patch, our issues are less of a priority to them, at other times the turnaround is usually quite fast - obviously this depends on how simple the problem is to find and fix as well.
8: When our test version is stable and working properly we release it to live servers.

In the case of 1.75, Mythic have been tweaking and refining it continually since it first went live. We have begun internal testing of 1.75B which went live on the 12th April in the US.

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for that Requiel but as we know the game platform is the same core game on GOA's servers as the US servers.

All main bugs are fixed before release onto the main population servers.

So in fact the only thing that is stopping the English speaking servers being patched is that GOA choose to translate to all the other non english speaking servers first before they release a patch that would work with minimal work to the English servers. I feel let down that I have to wait for this and I am being penalised for being English.

Many thanks for clearing that up. As I suspected.

IainC

Accupuncture said:
Thanks for that Requiel but as we know the game platform is the same core game on GOA's servers as the US servers.

All main bugs are fixed before release onto the main population servers.

So in fact the only thing that is stopping the English speaking servers being patched is that GOA choose to translate to all the other non english speaking servers first before they release a patch that would work with minimal work to the English servers. I feel let down that I have to wait for this and I am being penalised for being English.

Many thanks for clearing that up. As I suspected.
You haven't understood and you are wrong in your basic assumptions.

Forget the fact that we run different language servers and let's assume that we run only English servers. There would still be a translating and testing process of varyng length on EU servers and this would only be shorter than the current process by a maximum of two weeks or so - mostly much less as translation teams work in parallel with each other and the technical translation.

The international version of the game is not the same as the US version and we still need to 'translate' the English version for our server set up. The version we get from Mythic has not been tested by them as part of their US testing. it's the international code base with the new patch on top and as such needs to be tested as a completely seperate entity. Very often we get problems that were never experienced on US servers and vice versa.

You aren't being shortchanged or penalised as a result of the different language options we offer.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Actually if they released the patches earlier for Excalibur and Prywden we'd get invaded by French and German players wanting to "test" the patch each and every time.
I leave it to you to decide how that would affect your playing experience.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Tilda said:
Whats been posted in a bastardised version of the US patch notes.
If you check the last friday news :)rolleyes: ) you'd see its only an hour.

but if i looked for it we would not get to have our nice little chats

so......seen anything lately?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
You haven't understood and you are wrong in your basic assumptions.

Forget the fact that we run different language servers and let's assume that we run only English servers. There would still be a translating and testing process of varyng length on EU servers and this would only be shorter than the current process by a maximum of two weeks or so - mostly much less as translation teams work in parallel with each other and the technical translation.

Yep and they still cant translate "guard of valor" to "guard of valour"

:m00:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge said:
Yep and they still cant translate "guard of valor" to "guard of valour"

:m00:

translation as in "for different server environment" not for different language :p

ImaNoobie

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
English and general intelligence

Gamah said:
dryed grape

Dried

:flame:

Gamah said:
Why you need 3 qbs.. will be no room for your hacks then

When i replied to the OP post refering to hacks it was deleted. You have special membership?

Accupuncture said:
And the reply was ???

If I had seen a reply or even a question asking this I would have not asked.

If GOA patched the english servers to the US version first the French German Spanish Italian players would flock to the 2 english servers. If that happened the numerous German/French servers would no longer be needed. GOA would be forced to open more english servers (*gasp* did i just say that!) and that is against GOA terms of service.

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
Can anyone give me one good reason, why we need to wait 1hour to log from for example: alb/excal to mid/pry. ? ? What would happen if we didn't have to wait 1hour ?

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
Sauruman said:
Can anyone give me one good reason, why we need to wait 1hour to log from for example: alb/excal to mid/pry. ? ? What would happen if we didn't have to wait 1hour ?

Well , the way i understand it is to stop cross realming .
For example , your playing your alts on Alb/ Excal , and they decide to go and do a relic raid against Mids .
Your main and most played chars are on Mid / Pryd so you don't really want them to lose the relics , so you quickly log out your alb chars and log in your mid ones to go " defend " .
That timer stops you and others from possibly altering the result of the raid/s .

(above is only an example of course , i in know way imply that you would do that :p ) .

Obviously this only matters if the servers are clustered

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom