Patch 1.6 Info

C

Cdr

Punkbuster™ Confirmed

In response to the #1 request from the community, DICE & EA are proud to announce the inclusion of anti-cheat measures in the next patch for Battlefield 1942. The Battlefield team is committed to providing an exploit-free gaming environment for members of our community. Our goal is to have measures in place which address both current and future cheats. As such, after researching existing anti-cheat programs, we've determined that Punkbuster™ suits our purposes perfectly. We'll keep everyone updated as to our progress. For now, we have successfully integrated Punkbuster into the upcoming 1.6 patch and we're in the process of testing it.

EAComMike and the rest of the Battlefield team...

Interesting :D

C

Cdr

Aye, 'fraid so :(

Hopefully they'll fix chat lag, they'll introduce this PB system to combat cheats and maybe stick another map in aswell.

A

adams901

lets hope it will be more compatible with the mods than the pure server setting is. If it isn't then it will end up creating more problems that it is worth.

B

bids

Is there an anticipated release date for the fix ?

C

Cdr

Ummm its in testing atm, so could be anytime I guess.

Hamburger Helper|260ms|159.153.1.61:14567

Thats the IP of the testing server. Apart from the Punkbuster thing - there's also a few other interesting server options.

active_mods - this looks like you can install more than one mod onto a single server and swap between them. Maybe even between maps - eg, one map could be from vanilla BF, the next map could be a DC one, the next one a map from RtR. This is only speculation on my part tho :)

Official_stats - speaks for itself really.

TK_mode - from what I've seen, this can either be punish or forgive.

unpure_mods - not sure about this one.

B

bunn

With PB it may, hopefully, curb the smacktards and talentless teens from trying to cheat.

It's needed, desperately and although the little jackasses will find a way round it, the games will be pure for at least a few weeks. Lets also hope that the RSM tool still works, from what I hear the DiCE version of it is crap.

D

Deadmanwalking

To be fair i have seen so few cheats in Battlefield it's almost scary.
What will happen however as with most new "Anti-cheat" is the retard "Server Operators" will assume anyone who PB fails (For lack of upate etc) is an OMG HAX0r!!

:(

T

throdgrain

Ive never seen a cheat . Not one I knew about anyway :)

It is different to the round based idea anyway, ie in cs if you die you got to wait 3 or 4 minutes for another go, whereas in this its like 10 seconds or something.
perhaps thats why people cheat less, who knows :)

D

Deadmanwalking

I think it has more to do with the fact that CS players have that spawn time to wait and let the anger and fustration boil over into cheating accusations. Alongside the Aged HL engine compared to the Newer BF engine and the type of players :)

Present Company excluded... naturally

T

throdgrain

Heh , the only other game Ive known with the levels of acrimony as counter-strike is q2 freeze tag .
Wierd ay ? Well no, not when you think of the amount of time spent dead, or in this case frozen. I wonder if retreival or search and destroy versions of CoD will go that way, probably :(
Much less moaning in BF or similar games, where you have less time .
It does remind of a bloke in the q2 days however, who used to sit in spectator mode, congratulating his friend when he killed someone, and slagging me off when I did. Why ? Well I was a dreaded hpb, and this guy seemed to actually see having ISDN as cheating :) Hey ho ....

D

doh_boy

Being a better shot than me is cheating tbfh!

X

xane

I've had my doubts about cheating, but there does seem to be some uncanny knowledge people have of you hiding behind a wall, and I've encountered some pretty spooky grenade throwing before, and a large amount of people who are surprizing sharpshooters getting regular headshots using the engineer rifle too.

T

throdgrain

I like me tanks :) You needn't worry about headshots in a T72 :)

A

adams901

There are people who use modified skins on unpure servers, the enemy glows bright pink or what ever colour they choose.

There have been many times I have been hidden in the hills and after one shot certain people know exactly where you are. Normally this would be hard to do because only a tiny bit of you would be visible (you all know how big some of those mountains are).

Only thing I can put this down to is the skin cheat, admittedly sometimes they find you by luck but when its the same person over and over again minds start getting suspicious. There are also those people that seem to know exactly what direction you are coming from, even if you change your approach every time.

One of my main non cheat complaints are name tags. In my opinion they should only light up when you put your gun over the person, currently it seems you only have to look in a general direction to see a nametag, and I hate the fact that name tags are seen through walls.

C

Cloowwwnnn

I dunno if BF1942 is like Q2 in that it's easier to spot cheats once you know how they work. As a Q2 admin, I've tested most of the cheats and wallhacks and shit like that, and it helped. Maybe it's something you admins might want to look at too?

B

bids

As an aside, I saw this on another forum, and it reminded me of you Cdr :)

sig.jpeg

L

Looney888

The main cheats that people use in bf are:

Tag hack, which shows name tags through walls, hills etc.

Radar hack, which shows enemies on the radar as well as your team-mates.

Health/Armor hack, which shows enemies and team-mates health and, if they're in a vehicle, armor.

Accuracy hack, which stop bullets from spreading an your weapon from recoiling.

No fog, which eliminates fog from the map.

Zoom, which allows you to zoom in with all weapons.

One of the main creators of these cheats, Dr. K is rumored to be working on an anti-cheat program for bf, which cna only be good news as who better to stop the cheats than the person that created them.

X

xane

The "tag hack" is a feature of BF anyway, I see friendly tags through walls and hills all the time, and often enemy tags appear when the player is close to a window. I don't think its a cheat particularly although I can see how it can be boosted.

I don't think BF uses "fog effect" to limit range, it simply does not draw the objects at all.

L

Looney888

There is a fog hack hack and it does work, believe me I've used it. Although I'm happy to say I've reformed my ways since then :)

A

adams901

you used to be able to edit the maximum fog distance via a config file as well, this also worked quite well and you were able to see things long before they could see you. I believe this particular method was stopped via one of the patches.

C

Cdr

It seems to now be confirmed that chatlag has been fixed for 1.6

Originally posted by Andreas Fredriksson on the dedicated Linux server forums
You might like to know that the chat lag is gone in 1.6.

Have the sacrificed some of the bandwidth for the 'main' game to make the chat not lag? Personally, I didn't see the problem with chatlag, as I use radio commands more than typing (which you dont get lag with), plus for clan games TS is used.

A

Athan

Any word on if the chat *INPUT* is finally fixed ? Must be the thing that pisses me off in the game. Well, other than TKing twats of course.

-Ath

A

Athan

Yeeeeeeees, you know when you're typing into the chat. Type too fast and it drops characters. HIGHLY annoying :puke:

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread