Password Security

F

Flimgoblin

Seems to have been a rash of hackings recently:

DO NOT STORE YOUR DAOC ACCOUNT DETAILS IN YOUR HOTMAIL ACCOUNT (or any email account, or on your computer for that matter)

Write them down and put them somewhere safe if you're not able to remember them (like 99.99999% of the daocing public ;) game passwords yeah, but account ones not a chance) - "on your hotmail address" is not safe.

If you should forget them you can always have them sent to you.

T

Tesla Monkor

- Get a real firewall. Not one of those software based crappy things.
- Like mentioned above, do not keep your login details on your pc. When you receive your email, print it out twice and stick one copy in your original daoc box, keep the other with your pc. Delete the email)
- Do not give anyone access to your account. (Not your best friend, not your guildies, not your family.)
- Do not use IRC while gaming. If you feel you need to do it anyway, make sure you IRC from ANOTHER IP THAN THE ONE YOU GAME FROM. Better yet, don't use it at all. Chat at work/school, game at home.
- Do not use ICQ/MSN Chat while gaming. If you feel you need to do it anyway, make sure you do it from another IP than the one you game from. Better yet, don't use it at all. Chat at work/school, game at home.
- Programs like Roger Wilco, Battlefield Commander and other instant-voice programs are a security risk. (Since you make a connection to others, they can figure out your IP). Keep that in mind.
- Do not tell people your RL Name. (Because with that, they can figure out your Account/Game name and that is one step closer to getting your ass hacked.)
- Do not install other programs associated with DAOC. For all you know it might be a trojan horse or virus. (With ToA arriving, you will notice that you can use XML to change the layout of your game.. when that arrives, I can guarantee you that people will install stuff, get hacked and blame GOA. :p)

Paranoia is your friend. (Might seem extreme, but it's true. The less they know about you, the safer you are.)

Abide by these and you won't get hacked. Ignore them and get hacked, and you have only yourself to blame. :p

G

Gladiatorrr

Well unfortunately i think im one of the people who has this morning been hacked!!! No Comment!!!
GOA have been informed and hopefully this will be sorted asap!

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Gladiatorrr
Well unfortunately i think im one of the people who has this morning been hacked!!! No Comment!!!
GOA have been informed and hopefully this will be sorted asap!

:( Major bummer, good luck bud. I hope they can help.

C

Cyfr

Why can't you chat on msn messenger? Providing you don't send files your IP aint shown.

T

Tesla Monkor

Because there's tools to get your IP anyway. ;)

C

Cyfr

Then microsoft are even shiter then I thought since you connect to a MS server to chat etc oO

T

Twaize

According to mess.be there are no such things as programs that can show other messers IP except if they send files... And even if u use it, only chat with ur m8's cos maybe some day someone will figuer out how!

T

tripitaka

Speaking of unknown people in MSN - i had someone MSN me out of the blue the other day - and simply ask - 'Who are you?'

I didn't reply, i didn't add them to my list and i simply closed the window. This should be enuff to not allow them access to my machine if thats what they intending.

I have to say i wanted to reply with - 'I'm your worst nightmare come true' - but i refrained.

L

living

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
- Get a real firewall. Not one of those software based crappy things.
- Like mentioned above, do not keep your login details on your pc. When you receive your email, print it out twice and stick one copy in your original daoc box, keep the other with your pc. Delete the email)
- Do not give anyone access to your account. (Not your best friend, not your guildies, not your family.)
- Do not use IRC while gaming. If you feel you need to do it anyway, make sure you IRC from ANOTHER IP THAN THE ONE YOU GAME FROM. Better yet, don't use it at all. Chat at work/school, game at home.
- Do not use ICQ/MSN Chat while gaming. If you feel you need to do it anyway, make sure you do it from another IP than the one you game from. Better yet, don't use it at all. Chat at work/school, game at home.
- Programs like Roger Wilco, Battlefield Commander and other instant-voice programs are a security risk. (Since you make a connection to others, they can figure out your IP). Keep that in mind.
- Do not tell people your RL Name. (Because with that, they can figure out your Account/Game name and that is one step closer to getting your ass hacked.)
- Do not install other programs associated with DAOC. For all you know it might be a trojan horse or virus. (With ToA arriving, you will notice that you can use XML to change the layout of your game.. when that arrives, I can guarantee you that people will install stuff, get hacked and blame GOA. :p)

Paranoia is your friend. (Might seem extreme, but it's true. The less they know about you, the safer you are.)

Abide by these and you won't get hacked. Ignore them and get hacked, and you have only yourself to blame. :p

And do not be paranoid : ) Just dont store pass on ur comp and thats it, and dont keep password&login in copy while surfing the net :)

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by Cyfr
Why can't you chat on msn messenger? Providing you don't send files your IP aint shown.
because any two way communications program opens up ports into your pc which can then be compromised.

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by living
And do not be paranoid : ) Just dont store pass on ur comp and thats it, and dont keep password&login in copy while surfing the net :)
or if you are going to store your password on the pc encrypt it to b*ggery

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by living

type your password in - don't cut n paste it ;)

thanks to some wonderful MS security that may well give it out to anyone who fancies.

C

Cyfr

Originally posted by old.yaruar
because any two way communications program opens up ports into your pc which can then be compromised.

Erm.. well no, because MSN messenger don't show your IP unless you send a file oO

O

old.Revz

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor

On Quakenet you can hide your hostname to get around this problem. If it is the first thing that you do (before joining a channel for example) then you should be fine:

In order to hide your hostname on QuakeNet you must auth with Q and set user mode +x (/MODE your_nickname +x). This will change your hostname to qauth.users.quakenet.org.

For more information see the Quakenet FAQs.

K

KoreanLover

/netstat

K

KoreanLover

Erm.. well no, because MSN messenger don't show your IP unless you send a file oO

Netstat

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by KoreanLover
Netstat
and that's just for starts. any hacker worth their salt will have all kinds of sniffers working and other things.

F

Flimgoblin

MSN connects you to an intermediary server - not directly to the people you talk to.

It's only if you transfer a file that they'll get your IP (as that's a direct connection I believe)

F

Flimgoblin

Another one to add:

Don't put your account name or password into anything other than the daoc subscription pages.

e.g. some site that pretends it's a "free shard" for playing daoc - asking for your GOA subs login...

You'd have to be pretty daft to fall for it but just incase I thought I'd mention it :)

L

living

Or do like some people did, paste ur subscription login and password on a daoc irc channel by mistake :)

K

Keogh

Originally posted by old.yaruar
or if you are going to store your password on the pc encrypt it to b*ggery

So your password is buggery eh? :D

C

Cyfr

Originally posted by KoreanLover
Netstat

MSN messenger connects to an msn server and then to the other client. Thus only showing the IP of the msn server and not revealing your own.

(Unless you send a file in which case it direct connects)

C

Cyfr

Also, don't play daoc as GOA and its employes can get your IP.

Don't visit any websites (including barrysworld) or the owners will have your IP :(

Safest way is to not use the internet.

D

Driwen

Also, don't play daoc as GOA and its employes can get your IP.

Don't visit any websites (including barrysworld) or the owners will have your IP :(

Safest way is to not use the internet.

dont go outside either as you might get mugged ;).

F

Flimgoblin

there's a bit of a gap between the sensible precautions and just being silly...

I'd say not storing your passwords in your hotmail account counts as "sensible" though ;)

N

NairyK-

If you establish a connection with another person on any sort of messenger it is possible to get there IP up, no tools needed.

There are tools to get there IP up easier than doing it the first way but you must still have the connection established :p

1 Word ^^
FIREWALL

Thx

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Mr.NairyK
If you establish a connection with another person on any sort of messenger it is possible to get there IP up, no tools needed.

There are tools to get there IP up easier than doing it the first way but you must still have the connection established :p

1 Word ^^
FIREWALL

Thx

MSN doesn't connect you to the other person - unless they can hack the msn server they don't get your IP.

You connect to BW to post, I connect to BW to post - only the BW server will have your IP. Same thing as with MSN, just MSN is realtime.

T

Thorarin

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
MSN doesn't connect you to the other person - unless they can hack the msn server they don't get your IP.

You can tell ICQ to do the same thing BTW, I'm not sure what the default setting is though.
Only downside is that it limits message length to 450 characters or so.

Users who are viewing this thread