Paralympics

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
IMO they should have to use retarded horses for the equestrian events.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
They tried. They asked your mum but she refused

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Kinda funny they are holding it in China though!

Communist state + disabled people = doesnt quite fit into Chairman Maos master plan.

Or qwas it Nazis?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Kinda funny they are holding it in China though!

Communist state + disabled people = doesnt quite fit into Chairman Maos master plan.

Or qwas it Nazis?

The communist philosophy that everyone should be treated equally means that disabled people should be treated very well. The Nazi's who believed in a master race were responsible for executing people.

Obviously in practise a rapidly developing country such as China will find it hard to make sure disabled people are not being discriminated against but they are certainly trying. China is currently heading the medal table at the paralympics.

Because of China's very strict birth population control policy, there have been reports of parents (illegally) getting tests done on their unborn children and aborting them if they find things they don't want. This is primarily done for gender selection though but I guess the same people who want to select on gender are also likely to select on disability.

Uara

Part of the furniture
The communist philosophy that everyone should be treated equally means that disabled people should be treated very well. The Nazi's who believed in a master race were responsible for executing people.

Obviously in practise a rapidly developing country such as China will find it hard to make sure disabled people are not being discriminated against but they are certainly trying. China is currently heading the medal table at the paralympics.

Because of China's very strict birth population control policy, there have been reports of parents (illegally) getting tests done on their unborn children and aborting them if they find things they don't want. This is primarily done for gender selection though but I guess the same people who want to select on gender are also likely to select on disability.

In theory yeah it should work well. But if you look at the 1988 Olympics the USSR stated that there were no disabled people in their country and so couldnt host a paralympics. Now I dunno if thats down to their political philosophy or whether they're just being retarded. (pun not intended)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
In theory yeah it should work well. But if you look at the 1988 Olympics the USSR stated that there were no disabled people in their country and so couldnt host a paralympics. Now I dunno if thats down to their political philosophy or whether they're just being retarded. (pun not intended)

You mean the 1980 paralympics but I see your point that the USSR didn't participate in the paralympics until 1988.

Up until 1988 the paralympics weren't held at the same city as the normal olympics. The USSR had no obligation to host the 1980 paralympics and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to although I find it hard to believe anybody would publically say they "didn't have any disabled people"

Uara

Part of the furniture
yeah thats what I meant. Moscow refused to hold it, so they had to relocate to the Netherlands.
Cadelin said:
I find it hard to believe anybody would publically say they "didnt have any disabled people"

I kno, you wouldnt think any country would come out with that statement, but I just double checked, on the bbc. The USSR did indeed claim there was no disabled persons living there.
BBC - Ouch! - Paralympics 2004 - 25 Paralympics facts point number 24 :p

georgie

FH is my second home
7. The victorious Spanish intellectually-disabled basketball team of 2000 was stripped of its title after the Spanish Paralympic Committee later discovered that 10 of the 12 players had no learning difficulties.

rofl

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
On the matter of the spanish basketball team - able-bodied and those who could qualify for the olympic games (I choose my words carefully to not offend) are allowed to compete at the paralympics, it's on a points system, every team has an allocated number they can use, so a fully functional player with no additional needs costs more points etc. In that case they hadn't declared the right number of points I would suspect. (My wife's a PE teacher, she knows this shit, I don't know much tbh).

A well reasoned argument, I agree you can't compare today's Chinese government ideals with with Nazism, that's absurd. I'd disagree with the number of medals reflecting their attitude to disability though; they just want their superiority at the games on home turf to be seen, not their attitude towards those with special needs or disability. If only we could see the funding these people have had over the last 7 years at the expense of the general populous (particularly the rural dwellers). China being a pretty tight net with it's communist mechanism means we'll never know.

Point of note on the Chinese one child policy: the government had to relent and have had to relax the rules on the policy in a staggered manner, starting in 1999. Levels of rural infanticide (particularly in females) reached ridiculous levels (UNICEF figures put it from anywhere between 50,000 - 150,000 since 1979) and so rural people got the relaxed rules first. The policy has been successful though in that they've probably prevented an extra 300 million people in their country.

Something worth thinking about - they have a state pension system. In 40 years they're going to have a LOT of old people with rather a lot less younger people to pay taxes to support them. That might get interesting for them.

Sorry for the diatribe, just felt like it.

Back on topic: Did you notice on the archery and shooting how they're way more accurate on their scores than the able normal olympic competitors? Are they just more stable or is it from a shorter distance or are they just basically better? I haven't looked but anyway it's damn impressive. :D

Thadius

Part of the furniture
My comment about nazism was meant to be tongue in cheek, naturally.

But it does makes you wonder if things like infanticide go on if they find out the unborn baby is going to be disabled OR female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom