pally spec

L

linika

just woundering wot is best for a pally to spec Slash/shield or Crush/Shield?
and has anyone got a good spec for each slash/shield and crush/shield.

G

gunner440

crush is nice but it adds too many useless buttons to an already overcrowded pala qbar.

A

Arkian

Slash for the reasons stated above.

As for spec, quite a few to chose from:

29 Slash, 42 Shield, 48 Chants, 30 Parry
39 Slash, 42 Shield, 46 Chants, 30 Parry
29 Slash, 50 Shield, 46 Chants, 19 Parry
39 Slash, 42 Shield, 43 Chants, 26 Parry
44 Slash, 42 Shield, 43 Chants, 13 Parry

It all depends on your personal preference, currently I'm spec 1 and it's a damn good defensive spec although damage variance isn't too clever. I may give spec 2 a try soon though.

P

parlain

50 weapon
42 shield
42 chants
10 parry

But only if you auto trained and intend to group in an aggressive RvR group.

Otherwise I'm fond of 44 weapon 42 shield 46 chants for balanced RvR and PvE or 29 slash 50 shield 48 chants if you are destined to be group guardbot

I'm not a great fan of parry as if someone is silly enough to be bashing a paladin from the front, your group is either dead or it's a F8 savage (or Bastu thinking I'm Noret again :D )

Disregard all if you want to go Solo; get ready to get multiple adds

S

sugah

My pally is Slash and shield. His spec which i wouldn't change for the world is 39 slash, 48 chants, 42 shield, 16 parry

Only things i'd change are autotraining slash to 48 so i could get a bit more parry and changing his race to highlander for that little extra damage and hp. slightly less dex isn't too bad a problem with aug dex 2 and Moblock 2 :) but we really do lack damage.

A

alithiel50

My Paladin spec is:

39 Slash
42 Shield
48 Chants
Rest (19 due to Auto-train) Parry

I only have 1 complaint with this spec, which is that I sometimes feel I parry a little too much... but this is down to Mythic's absurd notion that parry should be resolved before block. I mean, personally if I had a shield I'd make every effort to block with that before attempting to parry an attack - in the hope that I'd manage to make an opening to bury my sword in my attacker's guts! :p

If you plan to RvR a lot more than PvE, you could consider dropping chants to raise shield or slash. However, I wouldn't recommend going below 43 Chants (for the last self AF), and would suggest that 44 is preferable for the top spirit/body/energy resist (which comes in very handy vs PBAE groups since it stacks with Cleric resist buffs).

39 Slash should be the minimum you aim for in RvR terms. Backslash is one of the best styles in the slash line. Any slash above 39 is purely for weaponskill.

42 Shield is also a minimum to aim for. I'm personally dubious as to the wisdom of going to 50, since unless you have some auto-train points you're not going to be able to achieve both 39 Slash AND 43+ Chants. With 50 Shield and 39 Slash you end up being able to get 42 Chants, which I feel is insufficient. I've noticed FotM groups often target the Paladin early in a fight, and you want as much AF as you can possibly get!

J

Javai

My Paladin is specced 50 slash 42 shield 36 chants and 16 parry (she was made in days when I didn't even know about auto-train much less udnerstand it). I am very happy with her spec and she works well in the 3 situations I play her 1. In rvr guarding/slamming for Merc 2. In rvr guarding slamming for support 3. Against high level mobs where she holds aggro well.

I think a crush or thrust Pally would find the lack of a decent anytime with to hit bonus a problem due to relatively low weapon skill.

R

Robin the Brave

My Paladin Spec:

29 Slash
50 Shield
46 Chants
19 Parry

Ive tryed 5 different specs including 50 slash, and i believe this is the best spec, with 50 shield i seem to block 3x more than i did with 42 shield, and the damage of brutalize is greater than diamond slash lol, 46 chants for damage add, cant say no to 30 extra damage a hit, 19 parry.... urgh if only blocking was checked before parrying, Do Not get Mastery of Parrying its just annoying :p

oh and 29 slash.. well weaponskill sucks but you willl be using shield styles 99% of the time so like it matters and the damage is only 20 - 30 lower than 50 spec slash.

This spec is also great for pve

If anyone would like to test the effectiveness of my spec, come to goth harbour and duel me :p

B

Brynn

Yea mine is the same as Robin The Brave. Its a great spec :D

S

soylent green

Slash 50,
shield 23,
parry 22,
chants 48, I just dinged 50 so i don't know if its a good rvr spec, but i plan to solo most of the time.

G

gunner440

Originally posted by soylent green
Slash 50,
shield 23,
parry 22,
chants 48, I just dinged 50 so i don't know if its a good rvr spec, but i plan to solo most of the time.

prepare a bid for one of the respec stones

you'll soon find that 50slash doesnt really do as good to a paladin as it would to another tank

paladin strengths lie in their defensive capabilities.. equipped well you should win most 1v1s but thats referring to one of the prvious specs mentioned above

E

ExTheRex

my spec is:

44 slash
42 shield
46 chants
3 parry

N

Notirt

I got
44 Slash
42 Shield
46 Chants
7 Parry

dunno if its a good specc but i works fine for me =)

C

Chenuba

35 slash, 48 chants, 43 shield, 21 parry
I'll say go for at least best endchant and 42 shield. Then you can choose to spend the rest in slash, crush or thrust and any leftovers in parry.

K

Kalhid_

my paladin is :

39 slash
42 shield
46 chants
20 parry

and now i go torespec to :

39 slash
50 shield
42 chants for end
rest parry
Defensive tank

gL

K

K0nah

what bult said.

for rvr u max both ur main functions: guard/shield dmg and end regen.

42-50shield is only 4% u say? yeah well what if that 4% is the difference between your client getting hit or not getting hit? (and it will be fairly often) plus brutalize is a nice medium end style with good dmg and a 10s stun.

T

Tualatin

i'd go 50 shield, 39 slash, and 42 chants (autotrain) and make a briton / saraceen for dex...

O

old.Darkan

Western is currently specc'd

50shield, 48chants, 29 slash and 13parry

Seems to work pretty well ;)

B

bult

problem with so low slash is that weaponskill is needed for landing slam.

M

meredith

Query- for rvr why are pallys by default defensive? surely a det tank is a far more useful defensive guard, afterall what use is a high shield if you cannot use it, purge is only so useful, a s/s arms (even s/s merc) suits the defensive role better. this leave the essential pally to assist the end hungry mercs. if the pally then is offensive, a 2hd spec would be superior in that role? say a spec of 50 2hd, 42 chant, 34 weapon, 20 parry. The pally could even use toys like taunt on casting mezzers if his focus is offensive.

L

linika

thanx for help with spec now just need to sell my Sidi mace so i can get rest of my sc'ed and respec stone =]

B

bult

Originally posted by meredith
Query- for rvr why are pallys by default defensive? surely a det tank is a far more useful defensive guard, afterall what use is a high shield if you cannot use it, purge is only so useful, a s/s arms (even s/s merc) suits the defensive role better. this leave the essential pally to assist the end hungry mercs. if the pally then is offensive, a 2hd spec would be superior in that role? say a spec of 50 2hd, 42 chant, 34 weapon, 20 parry. The pally could even use toys like taunt on casting mezzers if his focus is offensive.

pally is defence because there is no room for a defencive armsman AND a paladin in the group.. will loose ALOT of damage that way.

3 merc 1 pala 1 minstrel 2 cleric 1 sorc or
2 merc 1 pala 1 minstrel 2 cleric 1 sorc 1 theurg

placing a armsman guardbot in there and removing 1 merc and having pala on defence would mean ur dmg output would be crap.

P

pitspawn

On Enforced i have ...

48 Chants
42 Shield
39 Slash
15 Parry

But im planning on buying a single line respec to go 46/42/39/20 because i dont feel the last AF is used enough for it to be worth speccing for.

And agreed earlier, what use is 50 shield if your WS is so low it means its almost impossible to land a slam. Its already hard enough trying to land one with paladins gimp WS as it is =/

I think backslash is nice but it REALLY burns end like madness. Cant twist with it whatsoever, but if you just run end you can get away with it. BTW anyone know what Sapphire slash bleed per tick is roughly?

Its quite scary how many people replied have autotrained palas. I didnt autotrain because i couldnt. The only thing I could have autotrained is slash i guess, but i didnt feel the extra 2-3 parry id gain would be worth the agro.

B

bult

with 50 shield 39 slash 42 chants WS wouldnt be too low ;p

R

Robin the Brave

Originally posted by pitspawn

And agreed earlier, what use is 50 shield if your WS is so low it means its almost impossible to land a slam. Its already hard enough trying to land one with paladins gimp WS as it is =/

hmm, i find its easier now to land slam with 29 slash, 50 shield, than i did with 50 slash, 42 shield

weaponskill only dropped by ~180, and damage by ~30/50

but blocking is up atleast 20% imo, and brut damage > any slash style :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom