Paladins in RvR

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Paladins seem to receive a lot of criticism in terms of their usefulness on the RvR circuit.

Of course, any character is only as good as the person playing it, and the degree of ingenuity used.

So, I guess I am opening this forum up to discuss the following:

(1) Are Pally's nerfed for RvR purposes (being both magic and arms users) ?

(2) Why are they reluctantly grouped ?

(3) What are the key mistakes made in combat ?

etc

B

bahamuts

the most people dont like palaidns cuz their low dmg.
but realy my chants make it up

K

Kagato.

I quite like having a paladin in the group for the damage chants and Faith Heal, I just wouldn't want to be that paladin :D

I believe they get some significant boosts soon though to the Chants line ? Should make them more viable, just not everyones cup of tea.

And as bahamut says, its the low damage that puts people off, but then thats the trade of for the afformentioned Chants. And FH is a powerful RA for the cost.

T

Tilda

a paladin is never "not wanted in a group"
as long as the have some sence, know how to slam and does run off breaking messes ;) they are a welcome addition.
AF chant and Heal chant can make a huge difference.

Tilda

P

pogo121

Bah another knock to paladin's post

I have a Paladin, and to be honest im very pleased with how he has turned out, he does a gr8 amount of dmg, and I use his affects effectivly. He blocks a lot and his heal chant is used while I have enemy enaged to re-build health. if a paladin is played correctly he/she can become a very usefull team member. Do not ever under estimate their power.

P

[PS]Venom

<mutters something about paladins not having to be defensive, then grumbles something about never using a shield let alone slam>

Hrrm wha?

Mmmkay...

Personally I've not really had problems getting into an RvR group, and paladins really really DO make a difference. My AF chant adds over 100af and my chant's aren't even maxed.

As Kagato mentioned, FH is a goddamn amazing RA, it's just I never seem to hit it in time to save the party... :(

But then I am a 2h offensive paladin and proud of it ;) Yes, I may not have the raw damage potential of an arsman, but I still hit hard, and chants make up for it. :)

*EDIT* Yes, next patch we get pulsing resistance chants, and an endurance regen chant that lets us style from now until forever :) :)

S

sigh

pala's also have the taunt chant, in pve it can used for keeping the aggro, allowing you to run other chants more freely, and pulling. Its greatest bonus is in rvr, insta interupt, works on casters, healers and knocking people out of speed <can be funny, interupting the other groups skald/bard>

They also have a insta heat resist chant, gains abit back against chanters:)

Being rezed in the middle of the fight cant be bad, and if your lucky a Faith Heal, seems ok to me:)

Palas cant kill quickly, new end chant hopefully will mend alittle of that:)

Sighfi

N

Negura`

Pala owns in rvr.... jus looks quite borin T_T

O

old.Gregorian

(1) hell NO

(2) they r? well if u r a avalonian 2h crush paly maybe :p

(3)

- havin no slam
- not havin FH
- getin mezzed :rolleyes:
- runnin off to break mezzes w/o slam
- tryin to solo tank classes
- not guardin/interceptin a caster and actually STAYIN CLOSE to him
- not usin taunt shout to interrupt bards/casters
- not knowin enemy classes and how they look like

and finally: not havin a bit of self-irony. paly jokes r very common in RvR groups but after all they just luv u :clap:

O

old.Wildfire

As a wizzy I prefer paladins in groups to armsmen, farek is an uber defensive tank and keeps me alive better than any arms can.

S

stupidshady

well wildfire, that has to do with a pala cant be offensive, but an arms can, so why shouldnt we ? anywase, I rather let a pala defend and charge myself

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Thanks guys. Can anyone provide more granularity on the new Pally abilities in the next patch ?

Second question - Example. Albs vs Hibs. Entire Alb group gets instantly mezzed. Casters let loose. Tanks about to charge. Paladins casts Purge and is free to attack in advance of other 7 group members. Just before anther group member casts a form of group purge, what does the Pally do ? Protect caster(s) / cleric or attack enemy mezzer/caster with taunt ?

/ignore if silly question

Forgive me if I ask simple questions.

O

old.Wildfire

Shady = typical armsman attitude

Another reason I prefer paladins in groups :) (no offence to you personally)

And in response to the question... charge one of the enemy casters. You'll pull some heat away from your mezzed group members which may give them the time needed to shrug the effects off. Plus if your group is mezzed then they're at far more risk from enemy casters than from tanks - so your attempts at covering them will in all likelihood be in vain.

T

Tilda

slam them all.
:D

dont forget next patch if you have longwind 1 (i think its that) although it may be the end regen RA its posible to perma-sprint.

Tilda

O

old.Outlaw

We luv having paladins in groups, it's just there are so many of j00 :p

btw Gregorian I neva realised u used taunt shout to interupt casters/bards, w0w another god use for the pala :p

J

Jiggs

i use the taunt shout all the time, i must have interrupted like a million bards by now :p

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Speaking as a non-Paladin character, what is the taunt shout ? Is it different to the new pulling ability Pal's were given in the recent patch ?

BTW - Thanks Wildfire for the URL hyperlink )

Happy New Year to every1

O

old.Gregorian

Originally posted by old.Outlaw
btw Gregorian I neva realised u used taunt shout to interupt casters/bards, w0w another god use for the pala :p

thats either coz u r too busy hittin your "SEE ME FREEZE" macro or coz u r facin grass again :p

now say u luv me or i ll make gunnerr guardin u - see how that works :D

and yes, taunt shout is what palies got last patch and what faaaaaar too many "i have no idea bout my class but i heard they r wanted in pve" palies think to be only usefull in PvE to pull mobs :rolleyes:

B

bahamuts

I onyl used taunt once in rvr, maybe cuz I only rvred once after I got it :)

Y

yuyu

Paladins are not bad, but depends on how do u spec and how do u use it. I don't think pally is main melee killing force since there are polearm armsman and merc.
Best spec for pally imo is still sword/shield + chants but not 2 hand

D

_dalmar_

The Taunt spell u say it interupts casters and bards, does it also include stopping eneamy stealthers from restealthing?

P

[PS]Venom

As far as I'm aware it does... I certainly have a bit more time to chase after enemy stealthers after I hit them with it.

I still don't get the complete ignoring of 2h as a viable spec. It suits me great, versatility and damage dealing capability.

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by _dalmar_
The Taunt spell u say it interupts casters and bards, does it also include stopping eneamy stealthers from restealthing?

yup it resets their timer to stealth, also it drops enemies out of speed

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Taunt

I dusted down my Pally at the weekend and threw him into RVR. Ran out of AMG and was faced with a 50 Hib caster and a blue-con tank. Caster started a spell. I immediately used Infuriate and within 5 hits or so had killed the caster (had to use Purge). Then used first aid and finished the tank off. Got 993 RP for the caster. Not sure about the tank. Woot !

S

sigh

Nasteh when taunt resists tho :( was one on one with a supression specced runnie <think he was suppression specced...snare DD and pbt> and got completely owned, taunt resisted, went to run him down, but was snared..purged..went to him...miss <pbt> he QC snare dd again...and it was all over...no more feathers in my cap to play with:( he ran around nuke/snaring, i felt gimped :)

Sighfi -AoD-
Sighence -AoD-

A

Arthwyr

Defensive paladins are nice in RvR just dont focus on damage and use a fast sword instead of a slow one.

As for offensive paladins if you are thinking of making a 2h paladin role a friar instead. Friar stick hits harder and more frequent with the self haste buff, you get to buff yourself you get evade AND you can heal a bit.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

...but if a Friar gets hit, the damage he takes will be more than a Paladin in AF100 plate. In RvR where a healthy whack by a 50th level Troll can cut your average cloth wearer in half, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other IMHO.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

My Paladin chr has 8000+ odd bounty points. Anyone got any hints on how to spend these for a 50th lvl RR5 2H slash offensive Pally ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom