Paladin without autotrain gimped in the end?

E

Eyeinthedark

If i dont use the autotrain option and just put points into slash thereby loosing 77 skillpoints,, will i be a gimped paladin vs those who have used autotrain and respecced at 40?

I mean how important is it? i would rather use slash since thats what i like most..
But dont wanna end up with a gimped char at 50.

any insight is apreciated thnx.

S

SoulFly Amarok

Using or not using the autotrain doesn't really GIMP your character, it can provide you with some extra points.

And it will not be 77 points, because that's what you get IF you auto to 48.

You will get 54 points from levels:

8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40.

(2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)

The best paladin, Imo, is a highlander with 10 str, con, dex and powerleveled to 50, so you would get autotrained chants and slash, which would mean that you would have 2979+154 points to share between skills like:

42 Slash
42 Shield
48 Chants
17 Parry

Leaving you with 3 unused points :p

S

Sharma

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok

42 Slash
42 Shield
48 Chants
17 Parry

Leaving you with 3 unused points :p

Could lower parry quite low in favour of gettin 44 slash or wouldnt there be enough?

S

SoulFly Amarok

Originally posted by sharma
Could lower parry quite low in favour of gettin 44 slash or wouldnt there be enough?

pfft, that's just fine.

low or low.

Let's do maths!

3 unused points.

43+44 = 77

17-5 skill pts = 17+16+15+14+13 = 75 + 3 unused = 78 Is:

44 Slash
42 Shield
48 Chants
12 Parry

If my math skills work ;p

S

Sharma

mm i think i would forgo that little parry bonus for some slash tbh ;)

E

Eyeinthedark

Then i will forget auto train and put points in slash since its my first alb char and i dont know anyone i can forget about plvling and its a long way to 40 or 48 : ) best enjoy my char,,

its a Highlander 10 str 10 con 10 dex btw : ) Thnx for info guys apreciate it, will check this thread still so if anyone got any tips regarding this feel free to post =)

K

kinag

Got a lvl 23 saracen paladin, auto training slash, works fine :) crush is kinda nice imo for PvE, got uber defence aswell :)
And saracen didnt look as silly as I thought in plate armor :D

I

ilum

I'm not autotrained, and I do not miss the points with the standard 48/42/39/15 template...more parry not that important in RvR groups, because Paladins are never the first targets anyway.

Also, I would advise Saracen Paladin or Briton as opposed to Highlander. The extra strength for slash damage doesnt help that much being that Paladin damage is low to begin with. Dex will help your blocking and parrying, and constituion isnt essential in group as you're not the #1 target. Dexterity will also improve your Slam-damage, which is the only way a Paladin can actually deal some good damage. In a Melee-assist group, your first strike should be a Slam, sometimes the target will be dead before the next strike, and if you got endurance, a 2nd Slam is better than an amy slash.

I would miss the points however, if I tried a different template. For autotrained Paladin I suppose 48/42/39/23 is nice, or go for 50 shield.

Don't see the reason for bringing slash above 39, unless you are going for 50 for some reason.

And you can autotrain slash without training crush - maxxing chants and shield will probably optimize you for groups.

In any case, 10 points into str/con/dex is what you wanna start with.

S

SoulFly Amarok

Originally posted by ilum

Don't see the reason for bringing slash above 39, unless you are going for 50 for some reason.

Ws = better blocking aswell -_-

S

SoulFly Amarok

Chance to block a blow off an enemy is calculated using your dex, shield skill and your WS vs the target, so I must say, no idea. Still, as a highlander, you will have more hp aswell xI

Saracen's defensive, that's a fact.

Still I would go for a highlander.

I

ilum

Saracin's also offensive, because they hit harder with slam :)

K

kenshee-himura

Just browsing arround ;)

Saracens palas arent bad they do have a bit better defence then highlanders but their hp doenst even come close to a highlander ones. So you do go down faster then ur highlander counterpart.
Ok palas arent main targets but if u do get a 2H in ur back ur hp wil go down fast, let alone if u come too close to pbae...

K

kinag

Originally posted by kenshee-himura
Ok palas arent main targets but if u do get a 2H in ur back ur hp wil go down fast, let alone if u come too close to pbae...

If you come too close to pbaoe you aint playing well :p

that is if you are MA, if you aint, you can blame the MA ^^

M

Moth Twiceborn

I say good on yer for actually *playing* your character!

Have loads of fun!

S

SoulFly Amarok

Could say, that I've played a paladin for quite a while..

G

Graknak

"..and what if ya want to be a 2handed gimp sir?"

Well let's do some more maths based on lvl 50 with RR 5 and +11 skill from items :)

Without auto you'll have:

48 +4 = 52 chants (+chants from items is worthless)
44 +4 +11 = 59 2handed
36 +4 +11 = 51 slash/crush/thrust
16 +4 +11 = 31 parry (gimped, but MoParry will sort some out, lets say we take MoParry 4 you'll have 31 +24 = 55 parry

"Well what about autotrain sir?"

More maths sonny ;)

Auto chants till 40 with crush specced: (54*2=108 points)

44 +4 +11 = 59 2handed
36 +4 +11 = 51 slash (since crush&thrust aren't autotrained you need to specc slash to make use of the points)
22 +4 +11 = 36 parry (still low, but MoParry will sort it out again, lets say we take MoParry 4 you'll have 36 +24 = 60 parry

Pl-ed: (77*2= 154 points)

44 +4 +11 = 59 2handed
36 +4 +11 = 51 slash (again thrust&crush aren't auto'ed soo)
24 +4 +11 = 38 parry (reasonable, but MoParry will make it better again, lets say we take MoParry 4 you'll have 38 +24 = 62 parry

As you can see the diff between self Autotrain 40 and Pl'ed is litte, but then again both are practically the same as you'll never get groups without chants anyway ;)
Lets hope 2h wi'll be single specc sometime in the future for the sake of 2h pallies :p

p.s. i was bored :rolleyes:

G

Graknak

well tbh 2h pallies are much more fun then sword&board gimps, but hey, sword&board is better (more blocking, more defense, vs less dmg) and a sword&board give 4 extra slots for sc'ing aswell.

E

Eyeinthedark

nice calc work Graknak : ) thnx , since i wanna play me pali 1h i wont bother with autotrain for those few points, even if they give some more styles and more parry there is a long way to 50 and i wanna enjoy myself =)

got enough 2h on my skald =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom