Paladin vs Armsman

H

hercules-df

pally engaging at the right time in a duel vs another tank = invincable, would be VERY boring tho.

S

skile

Originally posted by Jiggs
in duel terms reavers are prolly the toughest, did some tests with tildai once and they seem to block more than paladins (!) in duels.

i think i've only ever lost to one paladin, gwalmar, but that was before i completed my SC, since then i've beaten every paladin i duelled with friar :) gwalmar and regtur being the hardest fights :p

i even beat aligro despite his lame use of alchemy dex potion, damn he is lame :D

About the blocking. You are right, reavers are in general better for blocking than paladins:

Best blockers by theory:
1. Scouts = Awarded 45 dex when levling
2. Reavers and Mercs: Awarded 23 dex when levling
3. Armsman = Awarded 15 dex when levling
4. Paladins = Awarded 0 dex when levling

G

gunner440

being concerned about ur class's duel performance isnt very smart -.-

C

Coim-

I was so close to beating a 50 shield/48 chants/29 slash pally today. I'm 50 shield as well...was damn close fight.

B

bahamuts

one time at band camp, I beated a pole armsman with my minstrel.

and yea s/s pala vs s/s armsman 100% that pala win :)

S

sh33py

Originally posted by skile
About the blocking. You are right, reavers are in general better for blocking than paladins:

Best blockers by theory:
1. Scouts = Awarded 45 dex when levling
2. Reavers and Mercs: Awarded 23 dex when levling
3. Armsman = Awarded 15 dex when levling
4. Paladins = Awarded 0 dex when levling

True they have higher dex but only part of the picture, blocking also takes AF into account, it also affects chance to parry/be missed, its something like dex->af->whatever.

So even though scouts, reavers etc. have higher dex they'll have nothing near the af a 48 chants pala can get not to mention plate af cap being much higher... So in theory Pala's/Arms will still block more and definately more so when buffed/SC'd with max'd stats.

C

Coim-

Originally posted by bahamuts
one time at band camp, I beated a pole armsman with my minstrel.

and yea s/s pala vs s/s armsman 100% that pala win :)
I actually think with a bit of luck I could beat a s/s pala. I was very close to beating one, if proc would have gone off I would have won.

C

Carean Black

Dunno why some say Pali is gimp in rvr..

pft.. pali 4tehwin! :) Tho easy to make ur pali to a gimp.. but thats not my prob :p

A

-ag-bometal

Was bored in Gothwaith yesterday so did some duels with the good old bo,

Duelled a merc, won the fight with +/- 75% HP left

Duelled a 2H Armsmen, won the fight with about 90% HP (And my dmg (250) > his dmg (200) ????)

Duelled a Polearmsmen, won the fight with about 15% HP (Ouch to polearm)

Duelled a s/s Armsmen, lost the fight (he was at 50% tho)

Duelled a s/s paladin, lost the fight big time, paladin had 90% hp (nerf MOB3)

They where all RR3+ and all had SC - set... and without Active RA's...

Morale of the story:

1)Shield > other spec in a melee duel (It only takes fricking ages => time is something you DONT have in RVR)
2)duels mean shit :)

I always love the expression on ppl their face when they lose against me :p

P

Pin

Originally posted by sh33py
True they have higher dex but only part of the picture, blocking also takes AF into account, it also affects chance to parry/be missed, its something like dex->af->whatever.

So even though scouts, reavers etc. have higher dex they'll have nothing near the af a 48 chants pala can get not to mention plate af cap being much higher... So in theory Pala's/Arms will still block more and definately more so when buffed/SC'd with max'd stats.

errr. lol?

No, AF has no impact on blocking whatsoever.

C

cleeve

Originally posted by Pin
errr. lol?

No, AF has no impact on blocking whatsoever.

Yup
Af only effects chance to miss isn't it?

Having said that Sword n Board pally with aug dex and mob 2 is a pain in the rse to get rid of :)

I duelled a lvl 50 'gimped' armsman yesterday for the fun of it. My RR1lvl6 lvl 43 pally took him to 20% hits - he ran out of end and I blocked almost every unstyled shot. I forgot about not styling - thus allowing him to get the rage jobby in - GOD it hurts :D

He did take me down - but it wasn't as clear cut as you might think. I am planning on using the 48 chants. 42 shield, 29 slash 30 parry spec that some high rr paly in the us recommends :)

I won't Dish the damage in rvr - but then if I wanted to do that I would have taken a merc when I re-activated my account 3 months ago. What I do hope to do is - keep away from mezz and protect my healer/mages til the end of the fight. I created my pally having read loads of pally boards and looking to see which pallies seemed happier. I thought the pallys that went end/block/slam bot were happier with their spec and their job in rvr so I decided from the start to go defence first - offence second. I am happy with that. In the limited rvr I have done so far I have enjoyed myself. I still get that rush when U see a huge group of red con enemies coming towards u :)

C

V

Vasconcelos

Originally posted by cleeve
Yup

C

No, it also affects the damage you take. The more AF you have, the less damage u get if you are hit.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by cleeve
Yup

C

Most tests seem to indicate it only effects dmg you take, with fast diminishing returns above 800AF

R

Repent Reloaded

any main tank with a high spec in shield has a better chance of beating another tank using a 2-h weapon. But I have seen polearm dudes killing paladins in duels...... just not very often.
Remember thou, duels mean nothing.

G

gunner440

shield has bonus over 2h

2h has bonus over dw :[

nerf

T

Tualatin

Originally posted by old.Tijl
just hit engage anytime you hit the oponent (style - engage - style after you block oponent - engage ...), you'll block everything and end up full health most of the time, beaten a full buffed minstrel like this. with crush the 'after block style' is a nice thing to have ;)

Nice idea, however... you CANNOT engage targets which are 'in combat'. So, after you hit em with weapon (or even missed) or taunted with taunt spell, they are in combat, therefor Engage has no use. Only works when you keep on engaging...

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Tualatin
Nice idea, however... you CANNOT engage targets which are 'in combat'. So, after you hit em with weapon (or even missed) or taunted with taunt spell, they are in combat, therefor Engage has no use. Only works when you keep on engaging...

you can hit them then engage and it won't kick in for a combat round or two :)

Given equal levels of passive RA's I'd expect the shield paladin to win against a 2h or polearmer... depends a lot on spec though, need lots of shield and chants :)

I think the reason they tend to lose to minstrels is that the ablative chant knocks the amount of damage dealt by the paladin to almost 0 :) whilst the minstrel can wear them down with shouts.

Dual wielders will do better against s/s because of the penalty to blocking, however a paladin with high parry and block will still do well :)

oh and never try to engage a dual wielder :)

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
you can hit them then engage and it won't kick in for a combat round or two :)

Given equal levels of passive RA's I'd expect the shield paladin to win against a 2h or polearmer... depends a lot on spec though, need lots of shield and chants :)

I think the reason they tend to lose to minstrels is that the ablative chant knocks the amount of damage dealt by the paladin to almost 0 :) whilst the minstrel can wear them down with shouts.

Dual wielders will do better against s/s because of the penalty to blocking, however a paladin with high parry and block will still do well :)

oh and never try to engage a dual wielder :)

yep last time i dueled a mincer i was hitting styled for about 15 dmg, and just got my arse kicked with dd's

O

old.Tijl

Originally posted by Tualatin

you talk about pve, it works in rvr and in duels, no matter how many ppl hit him, you keep on blocking, just make sure your endurance doesnt run out while chanting

S

Sohan_THC

i got a full specced 2hander arms.

if pala loose from me it is more that they make mistake or mezzed up slamm orso. i win some but loose most , just the end problem brakes it up. like 5 swings and it is gone.

so palla sould be able to twinst heal him self and finish it with new slamm / style etc.

Now take a reaver and you will loose as palla ;P
oke oke it has insane soul spec 45 and is slash with slamm
but i only lost so far from 2 pala's out of more then 20.
even infils are fun :)
biggest problem for reaver more then 1 who is hitting me in rvr.

but then again we all need each other in rvr , arms for the dmg , pala for the slamm/end. if both still running some hibs/mids will go down , espacial if you use /assist and got protect etc oke ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom