Paladin question

slash

Banned
Hello all thx for looking at my post.

How should I spec my paladin for rvr and what should I put my starter points in and what race should I choose, and plz when answering tell my why I should spec like you say, and im going to use him for fg rvr group. As bg slam and interrupt bot.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Saracen has highest dex so the best defense, most go highlander as the dmg from slash is a bit better.

cant say anymore as i just finished work and wanna go home.

Drusus

Fledgling Freddie
I'd go Saracen for high Dex, then put remaining points into :

- Dex, for increased Block chance
- Qui, for faster response
- Con, for extra hits

Spec would be :

- 50 Shield, for top Block chance
- 49 Chants, gives access to all chants
- 29 Slash, anytime attack
- 9 Parry, may as well throw the excess points somewhere

slash

Banned
I was thinking

46 chant
42 shield
44 slash
xx parry

Edit: Because you dont need that much block chance in rvr only bg and slam, ofc if I need more block I can remove some slash, but if I autotrain I will get a few extra points also

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Paladin does very little damage in the slash line, if you want to do moderate damage you are best off going two hand. You are much better off having 50 shield for better slam hit rate and dmg. 46 chants is high enough.

Novac

Fledgling Freddie
46 Chants, 42 Shield, 34 Slash, 27 Parry. my pally has been this spec for a very long time. i get all last important Chants, i get Slam and good block rate, 34 Slash is enough for a paladin(imo) and 27 parry is nice vs. dual wielders.

works very well for me

Bahumat

FH is my second home
slash said:
I was thinking

46 chant
42 shield
44 slash
xx parry

Edit: Because you dont need that much block chance in rvr only bg and slam, ofc if I need more block I can remove some slash, but if I autotrain I will get a few extra points also

i was that spec and i found the jump from 29 slash to 44 slash very noticible, also people did not evade/block me as much (shield does not use slash wpn skill to its chance to hit, you dont what numbers it uses).

You do loose a bit of your defense but your playing in groups so no probs

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
on the other hand the 2h spec is succesful if you have the patience, and my damage on my paladin isn't moderate by far, it's pretty good actually.

250+ a hit on most targets.

if you go 2h my spec is
502h
44 chants
34 crush
7 shield rest parry
3-4 parry only

if you want more parry you can go slash and you will have about 12-14 parry.
i am highlander and got 334 str buffed, so don't scoff at the 2h spec right away as it works excelent for RvR.

poo, nerf not reading fully >_<. you can go hybrid spec.

44 2h
42 shield
38 chant
31/29 slash
3/11 parry

not the highest chant level but gives you slam AND the damage from 2h wich can be deadly in a assist train.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Demon2k3 said:
on the other hand the 2h spec is succesful if you have the patience, and my damage on my paladin isn't moderate by far, it's pretty good actually.

if you go 2h my spec is
502h
44 chants
34 crush
7 shield rest parry
3-4 parry only

if you want more parry you can go slash and you will have about 12-14 parry.
i am highlander and got 334 str buffed, so don't scoff at the 2h spec right away as it works excelent for RvR.

poo, nerf not reading fully >_<. you can go hybrid spec.

44 2h
42 shield
38 chant
31/29 slash
3/11 parry

not the highest chant level but gives you slam AND the damage from 2h wich can be deadly in a assist train.

Need to be RR5+ for that to work or you miss out on the composite slash for your base 2hand dmg :-(

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Demon2k3 said:

250 a hit is very moderate by TOA standards. All proper tanks will hit way harder. Something is amiss with your template if you are a highlander with only 334 str buffed. My saracen pally had more than that and my minstrel has 369.

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
ok checked again, 346+ str i had depending on buff bnous from cleric that buffed me. anyway. paladins is on the hybrid ws table and. But 250+ for a paladin is quite good still i think.

Btw template got 101 str so nothing wrong with that. can post it or a link to it if you need proof. i got no aug str tho as i'm ip2 purge 2 and mopain3. not sure how much dmg difference i would get from aug str3 tbh.

what would be good damage for a hybrid then i ask you?

sorry for OT, but i like playing my pally even if you think his damage is gimped, it's a tank and a fun tank.

Novac

Fledgling Freddie
250 dmg a hit isnt much. but when u look how fast the paladin swing its good. with celerity and all

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
slash said:
I was thinking

46 chant
42 shield
44 slash
xx parry

drop slash to 39, and auto you can get 26 parry that way, aposed to the 20 if you dont auto

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
slash said:
why do I need parry in fg rvr?

For BG, get more deffence for your points putting them in parry, then you would sticking them in shield (after 42 and slam ofc)

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
garok is right on the parry, another good reason is that if yo get a 2h user on you. your blocrate is halved, this is where parry kicks in.

parry is the best defence vs dual wielders
block is the best defence vs 2h/1h users

so you will have good defence versus both of them.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Demon2k3 said:
garok is right on the parry, another good reason is that if yo get a 2h user on you. your blocrate is halved, this is where parry kicks in.

parry is the best defence vs dual wielders
block is the best defence vs 2h/1h users

so you will have good defence versus both of them.

Sounds like a typo, the block chance is halved against dual wielders not 2handers.

your second parapragh is different to your opening.

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
Bahumat said:
Sounds like a typo, the block chance is halved against dual wielders not 2handers.

your second parapragh is different to your opening.

yeah....

i meant that parry= good extra defence vs dw'ers and block good extra defence vs 2h'ers.

parry = halved by 2h
block = halved by dual wield.

was a typo, but i corrected it now :).

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Avalonian for the chicks.

50 Shield for max defence and brutalise > slam.
46 Chants to give you all the important ones you need.
29 Slash to give you an anytime to spam.
XX Parry so that zerkers and BMs don't tear you in half.

If you want to be a BG paladin then damage output is a long way behind survivability for you. Paladins don't kill people, the caster that they are bodyguarding kills people. Until they implement a mechanic for dying of old age, don't rely on tanking anything in a decent template to death with a sword and board pally.
Your template should have capped resists, capped and overcapped Con, Dex and hits and capped AF bonus. Fit anything else in after that. A Stardrop is a nice thing to have to swap out for your normal jewel when you do your self AF buff too - say hello to 1100 AF.

slash

Banned
I never played alb or shield tank before, what is brutalize and why do i need alot of shield for defense when I use bodyguard and slam?

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
slash said:
I never played alb or shield tank before, what is brutalize and why do i need alot of shield for defense when I use bodyguard and slam?
Bodyguard doesn't work on yourself.... if you die the person you're BGing will likely die shortly after so you need to be as survivable as possible.
Brutalise is the 50 shield style. It's an 11sec (IIRC) stun after a block. With 50+11+RR shield you will block a lot so you can Brutalise a lot. It does better damage than Slam, uses less end and stuns for longer.

slash

Banned
I dont see abit differense from 45 chant to 46.
Damage add will change but its only on 7.6 dps so doesnt really matter.
Energy song will be lost but who does energy anyway.
+ 10 resist heat cold matter, will be lost but all use cl resist anyway so.

So why not 45 it sounds better to me and gives me maybe 2 more parry or 2 more weapon??

slash

Banned
With 45 chants and 50 shield I can get 39 weapon and some parry with auto train, that will do great damage but will lose some parry, back style here I come.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
slash said:
I can get 39 weapon and some parry with auto train, that will do great damage but will lose some parry, back style here I come.

lol, I dont think so :) Paladin will never do great damage, One handed slash damage will be very poor even with 50 + 11 slash. Back slash is close to being the worst style in the game. It has no effect, Extreme end use and only marginally better style damage than ammy. Ammy is far better because of the lower end use and the +tohit which is nice on a low WS class like a paladin. Side slicer is the best positional for a paladin.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:
Brutalise is the 50 shield style. It's an 11sec (IIRC) stun after a block. With 50+11+RR shield you will block a lot so you can Brutalise a lot. It does better damage than Slam, uses less end and stuns for longer.

Not quite right. It actually does less damage than slam and is a 10 sec stun versus 9 for slam. The main advantage is the very high to hit bonus and lower end use. Butalise is okay but no way would I spec for it unless I wanted 50 shield anyway.

42 used to be where I would take chants to but now I would go 44 for the last celerity chant. Personally I wouldnt take it higher but others like too.

Ati

One of Freddy's beloved
Demon2k3 said:
paladins is on the hybrid ws table

paladins are on the acolyte damage table :)

easy to spec pally for rvr 42 shield backslash style in slash line and rest chants remainder in parry :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom