Pain in the arse questions time

M

MYstIC G

Righty, following on from Opinions I now have the following sorted out:
  1. Windows XP (clean install) on a 30GB partition
  2. Fedora on remaining space on 160GB of HDD[/list=1]Dirty Questions:
    1. I can't get fedora to work properly with my monitor. I thought it was an X problem which eventually lead to my X config going fucking missing & me being unable to find the tool to sort it. Can anyone help?
    2. VMWare doesn't like trying to access the Fedora stuff, any ideas?[/list=1]Awkard bugger ain't I :(

T

Testin da Cable

can you clarify "work properly with my monitor" please?
as to the VMware thing, I haven't the foggiest :(

M

MYstIC G

Basically the thing goes blank after loading X dudey. Monitor is still on (i.e. doesn't do it's "no signal, I'm hibernating" trick) but has nothing but black on the display. It's most annoying as I know the system is still working as you can kill it off with a Ctrl Alt Del at which point the console reappears and works correctly :(

Oh & I solved the VMware thing. It's because v4 is gay & crashes every 10 seconds on anything (Read: it couldn't emulate windows 98 without dying ffs).

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by MYstIC G
Basically the thing goes blank after loading X dudey. Monitor is still on (i.e. doesn't do it's "no signal, I'm hibernating" trick) but has nothing but black on the display

hmm that almost sounds as if whatever window manager you're using isn't starting once the xserver starts, if you start it with 'startx' you'll have to have a file called .xinitrc containing the 'exec' statement with the path to whatever windowmanager you're using. example:

Code:
leetness@deepthought > cat .xinitrc
exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox
leetness@deepthought >

Users who are viewing this thread