Pacth day?

A

Alrindel

What I meant about it being Diablo II is that while there is only the one module available, everybody will be playing the same one on small, individual servers. As more modules become available and as people master the DM interface and breathe some life into the game, then it will be more interesting than Diablo II, which only ever had the one "module" to play over and over (two if you count the expansion pack).

It is still not a MMORPG, where the universe is persistent and evolves whether you are playing or not, where you can run from one side of the realm to the other and meet a hundred different players, where you can raise a huge army of players and have a jolly good scrap against a hated barbarian enemy, who are also players. The gaming experience you get is very different from the two environments, and I for one am not sure I would go back to play Diablo II now that I have played DAoC because I like the MMORPG environment better.

C

cadiva

Sense of humour bypasses?

Has there been a wholesale sense of humour bypass among some of the people who pay DAoC?

Obviously NWN isn't the same kind of MMORPG as DAoC or EQ, no-one is so stupid as to believe they are the same.
What it is though, is competition for the notoriously fickle gaming market - which I believe was the point Breni was trying to make about a dozen or so posts above.

Once DragonEmpires, ShadowBane, SWG, World of Warcraft, never mind Doom III, Unreal II, EQ II and all the normal expansions etc come out, there will be even more competition for what is, after all, a narrow market to start off with.

All people ever wanted from the European DAoC experience was some information about what was going on with patches etc.
Things have got better and I think anyone who thinks the US servers are the Holy Grail of gaming is probably kidding themselves.

But, whether NWN is a persistent world or not, it will affect the playerbase of DAoC, even if its only a dozen people who go.

Just as a matter of interest, since I've been playing Euro DAoC (since beta) I personally know six people who have stopped playing or didn't renew their subscriptions - all dedicated gamers, just gamers who are now finding their fun elsewhere because they got fed up of the delay in patching of DAoC Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom