Packetloss from router or isp?

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
I've been getting some weird packetloss on pingplots last days. I've contacted my isp and they say it's not a problem on their end, even tho it say's their name at where the problem is.
I'm behind 1 router wich splits the connection to 3 pc's.( we have a line for max 4 connections.)

I pinged multiple adresses like excal cluster, google etc
and showing freddyshouse ping here.

all show these 2 hops of packetloss shifting from 30 to 90%
last hop is my ip, the one before that had the same first 3 numbers as mine.

Any know what might be the problem ? .. my isp or router or something else

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Ok ...

First of all find out what the ip address of the cable/Asdl modem is. This is what they will ask for.

Otherwise they will insist that you disconnect the router from the Modem and connect one PC to the cable modem.

Once you have the cable modems IP address. Ask the isp to Ping the Cable/Asdl modem address. If they show packet loss to your modem, then the problem is their side of the network.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
To be honest, it's an odd graph.

Are you also getting route switching happening (shows on the left hand pane, though not in these pictures) ?

Reason I ask is that normally, if you're getting 'real' 50% packetloss at a router, you'll get 50% packetloss on all the ones after it. In your case, as the stuff afterwards is fine, that's not happening.

Darzil

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
SkarIronfist said:
Ok ...

First of all find out what the ip address of the cable/Asdl modem is. This is what they will ask for.

Otherwise they will insist that you disconnect the router from the Modem and connect one PC to the cable modem.

Once you have the cable modems IP address. Ask the isp to Ping the Cable/Asdl modem address. If they show packet loss to your modem, then the problem is their side of the network.

I have connected my pc directly to the cable modem ( as only connected pc at that time)

My isp already claimed to have pinged me at that time and said to show no problems. i've tried pingplotter with several pc's and connection cables to the modem and all showed that packetloss

Darzil said:
To be honest, it's an odd graph.

Are you also getting route switching happening (shows on the left hand pane, though not in these pictures) ?

Reason I ask is that normally, if you're getting 'real' 50% packetloss at a router, you'll get 50% packetloss on all the ones after it. In your case, as the stuff afterwards is fine, that's not happening.

Darzil

I'm not really sure what you mean with the route switching, don't see much at the left pane either.

indeed its only showing the packetloss at the 2 routers of telenet and none after that.. not sure why that is. i'll upload another pingplot in a bit ...

Could you explain what i'm looking for concerning route switching.

Tnx for advice so far

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Watchh said:
Could you explain what i'm looking for concerning route switching.

There is a pane labeled Route Changes, just above the sampling options.

If there is route switching happening, it'll mention that there are changes in routing there. Basically the network keeps changing it's mind about the right way to route you to the destination. I've found it can be associated with poor performance. Annoyingly, pingplotter doesn't show it when you save the information.

Working out where the switching is happening, if it's happening a lot, can't be done from a screenshot, usually, but if you're watching the graph, you'll see IP addresses on the route changing. If you plot that particular link in the chain, you'll see a graph with lots of gaps.

Darzil

MaCaBr3

Banned
First of all, ur reading your traceroute wrong, it's ascending and not descending.

2nd: you blacked out freddyshouse's ip instaed of ur own, so atm everyone can see what ip address ur using. (ur provider is Telenet.be duh)

It seems more like a problem at your end or ur router end. (have to go home now, i'll elaborate more when i'm there)

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
ok so i checked out the Route changes: it seems to be changing routes alot, like every few seconds .. guess its a bad thing .. or just a result from the massive packetloss?.

at MaCaBr3: i don't see how it can be a problem at my end , i have connected 3 different pc's directly to the cable modem (ie without any routers between it), using 3 different cabels aswell , all showed the same problem.

hosted another pingplot, to another target. showing the massive route changes and packetloss

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty much what I expected to see.

Right click on Hop 3 and set "Show this timeline graph". Do the same on Hop 4

I'll reckon at least one of the graphs will have lots of gaps.

Basically these routers are struggling to work out their routes, and either due to loading or a problem, are constantly shifting them. This is not usual router behaviour (cos working out routes has a high overhead, so normally they find a route that works and stick to it unless they really think it needs to change).

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
i've been ingame a bit and i diden't seem to be getting much lag problems in pve.

did a new pingplot. the packetloss still showed at hops 3 and 4. strangely enough the Route changes have stopped ,
and it diden't show any changing ip adresses on the route anymore either.

Now it does actually show packetloss on all the hops after the telenet.be sometimes.. like once every few minutes ... ( but the telenet.be PL is permanent)

i'm bit at a loss to the meaning of all of this ... since my ISP still claims it's not a problem at their end .. even tho to me it looks like that is the case tbh

Appreciate the help Darzil, but could use some further guidance, any clue what i could do to actually prove it's an isp problem ( or find if theres actually any problem on my end) ?, tnx

edit: if u need to see another pingplot lemme know

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
here it shows the packetloss across the whole route, ... getting this while directly connected to the cable modem should prove it's an isp issue i guess?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Well, for some reason I'm not seeing the whole picture (no graph at the bottom).

I'm not too surprised the game performance is a lot better with the route switching gone.

On a short plot like that it's a little inconclusive where the issue is, but it does look like there are some spikes on all IPs (a packet loss can just be a spike >2000 ms, as I think that's where it considers it lost), starting from the very first one. I'd have to say it looks like an intermittant issue between your Router (which I imagine is the number you have blacked out), and the first hop (your ISP).

If it's still showing that on a longer plot, I reckon they might see that there is a problem there. (Though I know from experience that many ISPs aren't used to interpreting something as good as pingplotter, and often rely on ping and tracert alone)

Darzil

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
i'll let pingplotter run for a while , then post it again here, could pm you the image if it would help if i diden't black out the ip's.

tnx

edit: seems its back to permanent route changing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom