P2p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
With Kazaa generally sucking the sweat off a dead man's balls what P2P software do you use - and which is generally acknowledged to be the best?

Rate it on:

• Spyware-less (or easy ability to make it such)
  • Number of search returns
  • Speed of download (I know it's subjective but...)
  • Ease of use

Obviously it goes without saying that I'm interested in the software to save me the time of ripping my legitamately bought CD's and making images of legitamately bought software. Fair-use you see?

Answers on a postcard please... (actually it'd be significantly more useful to post here) :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There have been a few threads on this subject of late, try the search function (so we don't all risk being banned :D)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno how you can risk a ban by discussing perfectly legitamate uses of software that's designed to freely open up the transfer of knowledge across open networks........

........don't let yourself be scared just because the people at the MPAA have seen their arses and would rather spend their time trying to stifle discussion about one of the most innovative and exciting areas of software development and it's benefits to a free society than have gratuitous sex with thirty nekkid supermodels of their choice :(

/edit: I've just found something better to think about than what P2P software to use. Mmmmmm. Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie, me, a bottle of wine.....etc etc ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think anybody would be lying if they said the sole purpose of them using p2p software was for legitimate means.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom said:
I think anybody would be lying if they said the sole purpose of them using p2p software was for legitimate means.

So - by your rationale you've already managed to stifle any debate on such software anywhere on the web......

The fact that there are many illegitamate uses for such software is not justification for topic-dodging.

Last time I heard I could talk about what the fuck I liked - unless the government have managed to outlaw free(ish) speech since last time I looked....

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Not quite true, you can't freely discuss piracy, and that's what the majority of traffic on networks such as SoulSeek, eMule and KaZaA represent.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Scouse said:
Last time I heard I could talk about what the fuck I liked - unless the government have managed to outlaw free(ish) speech since last time I looked....

Free speech is quite legal, so long as you don't publish opinion as the truth. You could be sued for libel for posting a particularly nasty rumour about, well, anybody really.

Thats nothing to do with this though :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
You have to remember, that anything which appears on FH is considered published in the eyes of the law, even if a forumite writes it and not one of the owners...

Even if you've one of the 0.001% of users who want to use P2P for legitimate purposes (though I fear the amount of legitimate data on P2P networks is well below 0.001%) then it's not something we can really discuss in any real depth here.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
And in any forum which imposes a CoC or T&Cs/AUP, then free speech doesn't exist. You agree to behave in a certain manner when you join, if you don't then bye bye.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
You're probably best looking into either eMule or Overnet

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
/me raises hand !!

It was myself who started the last thread, Someone told me about shareaza and it rocks try that ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Hey well done Tom and co. It was supposed to be a p2p suggestion thread and you have nicely fucked it up. No one was going to be discussing piracy, just p2p software whatever the use of it may be. Discussing the software is not fucking illegal and anyone who tries to stifle conversation on it is nothing but a amateur facist.

Anyway:

Scouse, if it's music you are looking for then Soulseek is regarded as one of the best. Download speeds depend on the user you are sharing files with. The good thing about soulseek though is that you download the entire file from a single user so you don't get hideously mangled mp3s. Unlike Kaaza.

www.slsk.org

Not sure if they are forcing you to donate now but it used to be free. If you need the installer pm me.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
DC++ and Soulseek.

They are the best.

I don't need proof.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Well, going by what he originally said I think I could save the poor chap a lot more time. Just get something like this, it's a lot faster than P2P and you can use all those legitmately bought CDs.

On the software image front, raw read with sub-channel data on the majority of cd writing apps is all that's required. Full images of your software within minutes, no hassle.

Personally, I'm happy that lots of software demos and mods seem to be getting distributed via bittorrent more and more. A decent client such as Azureus and you're set. It was an absolute godsend for the Far Cry demo and the Desert Combat 0.7 mod, much faster than any freely available FTP or HTTP links.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I use bittorrent, good for getting game demos when all the download sites are choka.

G

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheers for the help chaps(esses)!

Always remember - no matter what the lawyers say - it's always legal to discuss hypothetical situations...no shit sticks there :)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
leggy said:
Scouse, if it's music you are looking for then Soulseek is regarded as one of the best. Download speeds depend on the user you are sharing files with. The good thing about soulseek though is that you download the entire file from a single user so you don't get hideously mangled mp3s. Unlike Kaaza.

www.slsk.org

Not sure if they are forcing you to donate now but it used to be free. If you need the installer pm me.

Just tried to DL from that link and it wanted me to connect to a number for £1.50 a minute. The words "fuck" and "off" sprang to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread