Owen to Real

mank!

Part of the furniture
Owen set to sign for Real Madrid

I was surprised when the rumours first started, I put it down to his agent trying to angle for a better wage from Liverpool on his contract but except for the formality of a medical he's set to sign for the biggest football club in the world for a measly £8m.

So what are peoples thoughts on the move? I have to wonder how much football he'll play given the fact Real have Raúl - who is a son of Real Madrid - Ronaldo and a rejuvenated Morientes but the same could have been said of McManaman when he went over there yet he managed to rack up over 100 appearances in three seasons. There's no question Owen will score when he plays and I also believe it can only make him a better player for England.

I'm a bit annoyed that I went over there to see Real last season and I didn't get to see Zidane, Beckham or Casillas and now Owen's joined as well. Time to arrange another visit methinks.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If he's gonna sit on the bench, he may as well do it in sunny spain with a great reputation club than pissy Mersyside. Oh, and double pay will ease his pain.

I don't think he'll feature much in the Real team: it didn't look like he'd get his secure place at Liverpool with this season now they've a manager who isn't happy sitting back and letting the players do all the work for him. He needs a move away from the club to get the confidence he's been lacking the past couple of years back, although I think he's chosen the wrong club... He's world class potential but at the rate he's going I don't think he'll ever meet it.

Plus, I heard it was around 6m plus another player? May have heard wrong though

mank!

Part of the furniture
I see your point about meeting his potential, if he plays in at least 30 games in all competitions per season then I can see him reaching his potential but if he only gets the odd sub appearance and run in the team when injuries/suspensions kick in, then he's going to struggle for form at both club level and internationally - i.e. not good for England. However, provided he gets enough games he's at the best club possible for reaching his potential. He's at a fantastic club with fantastic facilities with fantastic players.

The deal is £8m plus Antonio Nunez, of whom I know nothing but he did play when I see them get thrashed 4-1 by Real Sociedad. He's only made 10 appearances, all as a sub, for Real though.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
when all the rumours started up I just thought this is Tony Stephens (his agent) trying to squeeze every penny out of us. Now i'm just glad he has gone, the only thing I believed was that we wouldn't leave us on a Bosman as he said several times.

He had been dicking us around since Christmas over signing a new contract saying he would sign if we got Champion League football, we did. Then he said he would sign if we got a decent manager, we did (Rafa Benitez was his and Stevie G's 1st choice). Next he said he would sign if we showed good intent to win the league, imho we did (signing Dribble Cisse, Xabi Alonso and possibly Luis Garcia) and getting rid of the dead wood (Cheyrou, Vignal, Diouf, Diao, Biscan etc)

The deal is very good for Real and not that good for us, I would have personally preferred JuanFran instead of Nunez, but if we sign either Luis Garcia or Shaun Wright-Phillips then that will deaden the problem a bit.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Don't worry about his form for England, because Eriksson will pick him regardless! This is a good move for Owen, Liverpool have underachieved for a number of years now and this will give him a stage to put this talents on show. Plus it will allow him to play in the Primera Lega, just like his boyhood hero Lineker.

Aada

Part of the furniture
he will be a bench boy for real madrid

mank!

Part of the furniture
The deal has definitely gone through now, he'll be unveiled as a Real player at 1pm tomorrow, so that's midday here.

Aada

Part of the furniture
i mean they have Ronaldo/Raul ok so Owen will be a fill in for either of them 2 on crappy games lol

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its fairly obvious the new Liverpool manager is not going to be happy with another man's squad, and basically is sweeping out the players he doesn't feel suit the way he wants the team to play.

£8m is a reasonable sum of money considering that Owen had a year left on his contract. That makes his market value significantly less. I think the move will either make or break him as an international.

mank!

Part of the furniture
It's fairly obvious you don't know much about football...

Benitez didn't get rid of Owen to clear him out, if that was the case he would have got rid of someone like Baros or Pongolle who aren't proven at this level. Benitez would have to be a complete idiot, or Steve McMahon, to get rid of a player of the quality of Owen. The reason Liverpool off-loaded him now was because they wanted to get a decent fee for him while they still could and because Owen said he wouldn't allow himself to go on a bosman transfer. Owen's agent probably put a few feelers out to clubs in Europe that Owen would have liked to join and Real took the bait.

It's nothing to do with Benitez clearing out "another man's squad" or getting rid of players who he "doesn't feel will suit the way the team will play". By that logic he would have got rid of Baros and Cisse as well because they're both similar to Owen except they're not Anfield legends.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Owen is'nt as good as he was 3 years ago.. hes been plagued by injuries his confidence is shot to shit and well i hope Real can bring back the magic in him

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Raul, Ronaldo and Morientes... I wonder how many games Owen will start this season.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
8 mill isn't much really, I would've thought if he did leave Liverpool (I'm suprised he actually is) he'd go for alot more than that. Although saying that I think he's a bit shit and overrated. Probably play for a few years then come back to the premiership.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
mank said:
It's fairly obvious you don't know much about football...

I know enough to get by in an argument. I spend plenty of time with football journalists, and even more time behind the scenes. I work on at least one match a week. I might not follow any club, but you don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game to be able to understand what goes on.

I was at that press conference, I heard everything the guy had to say, and when repeatedly asked if he wanted Owen to stay, he wouldn't be drawn on the subject. He said he had very little say in the matter, which is total cock.

Its an easy way of saying 'I don't really want Owen here, there are better players around'. Owen has become jaded, its in his own interests to move on, although how much first team football he'll see at Real is debateable. In fact, you begin to wonder why he made the move at all. Perhaps because he wasn't wanted?

mank!

Part of the furniture
Or perhaps because Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world, he'll have the opportunity to play in a fantastic stadium in a beautiful city alongside players like Raul, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Beckham and Roberto Carlos.

Nah, must be because Benitez didn't want him so he sold him off on the cheap.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I wouldn't object to sitting on the bench at Real, they're leather, moulded to body shape, heated...nice.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
I think that Real have bought him as one for the future. I mean he's not exactly old and Ronaldo/Raul are not going to be going forever.

He's just got to bide his time.

Oh, and rediscover his talent.

PS: Hate to say I told you so........ :)

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Of all the strikers at Real Madrid, Raul is the one who has been the most out of form recently. I can see Owen and Ronaldo starting a lot of matches to be honest.

mank!

Part of the furniture
The problem is that it'd take a hell of a lot of bollocks to drop Raul, he's adored by the fans.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Are Real trying to build a half decent England side ?

A defender a midfielder and a striker, not abd start ;)

Later

mank!

Part of the furniture
Camacho must like the English hard-working style of player, clearly he felt Real were lacking hard-working players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck.

So he signed Owen (lightweight), Beckham (can't tackle) and Woodgate (Mr Injured).

Rightyo!

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
well makes no sense really

beckham has played well for madrid but i think its because central midfield is in fact his better role and is playing better as hes been waiting for this moment since.....forever

but really (everyone knows but wont want to admit) beckham was bought for his merchandising power. i'm betting the real madrid board are laughing at the money they rake in from shirts alone not to mention other products.

owen i think is just another big name signing to increase merchandising. i mean... ronaldo/raul/morientes ahead of him in the team. owen had one good world cup and was hyped to hell by the media.

ronaldo has been madrids best forward for some years, morientes has had an up and down time and is looking to re establish himself as a madrid player after his spell at monaco

raul is team captain and is "mr.real madrid" so i doubt owen will be pushing him off the starting 11. as well as his influence he is a v.v. good player...better than owen anyday (he just had a bad last season)

woodgate's signing is confusing though.. hes a decent defender i admit that but he spends more time injured/recovering from injury than on the pitch. if he was bought for 5m or so i would have said it was a good gamble on him getting better and finally managing to shake off his injuries. but at 13m or whatever it was i think it is going to be another anelka type signing where he is sold soon after. however i think theyll have a harder time selling him due to his injury history.

plus samuel and helguera are much better options than woodgate

lol at madrid spending $$$ for an expensive subs bench

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom