Overheating problem

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not even sure what a Gpu is but i have a diagnostic tool popup that tells me that its at 50oC standard and under certain gaming stress it spikes to 80-100oC what do i need to buy to correct the problem? i notice theres a fan on the 6600gt and one main fan in the case neither seem to be extremely fast tbh

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
GPU is Graphical Processor Unit, meaning the processor on your vidcard. 50deg is doable, though 100deg is a little on the high side... though a GPU can handle higher temperatures then a CPU.

What you can do is to replace the fan on the vidcard with something better, but beware... though less sensitive to temperature, they are more sensitive to damages then a CPU, mainly cos nowadays about all cpu's come with heatspreaders etc... anyway, if you don't know what you're doing, read up a lot, a lot, and some more, ask friends or aquantances that know even more, and then change it... or take your vidcard to a computershop, and let them change the fan. :D

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
before replacing your fan, try cleaning it first I know on my old GeForce3 it got seriously clogged up with dust, and the fan stopped running which fried my card :( I think it's due to the way the fan is orientated... dust goes straight up into it from the hot air currents travelling upwards.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
DocWolfe said:
before replacing your fan, try cleaning it first I know on my old GeForce3 it got seriously clogged up with dust, and the fan stopped running which fried my card :( I think it's due to the way the fan is orientated... dust goes straight up into it from the hot air currents travelling upwards.
Aye, thought of that aswell, but it being a 6600GT, can't be that old.... can't be that cluttered with dust...

shaark

Loyal Freddie
sometimes 100°C for GPU is not to much u dont have for what to worry about

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
Running that hot aint right my 6600GT peaks at about 55C when playing games normal temp is 40-45C dunno if thats just me being lucky or what though.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Get an artic silencer for about £15 will lower temp by 15-20c, at least did for my 6800GT, pretty sure you can get versions to fit the 6600GT.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you're best posting on their forums for advice... they are quite friendly people :wub:

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Yoshimo said:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Arctic_Cooling.html
the one at the bottom would work? its an AGP card is there a difference with VGA?

Yes it will, even if you had trouble with it they have 14 day return policy.They aren't too hard to install either, but you could ask on forums there too if you wish since the people there sure as hell do know their stuff.

Hmmm just searched on their forums, that is for pci-express 6600GT only...so i am not 100% sure if it will fit an AGP card, what casing do you have too? that can also help cool your pc a lot more.Centurion 5 cases usually cost about £45 or so and are extremely good at cooling.

Zaffa

Can't get enough of FH
GT6600 PCI-E and GT6600 AGP coolers
most likely wont fix each other, as the GT6600AGP got an extra chip and the whole coler design has to be twisted abit to cover it, the GT6600APG is actually just an GT6600 PCI-E, with a little chip converting the PCI-E signal thingy to AGP... and that lil chip prolly needs cooling aswell, not sure though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom