Overheating PC in SI

D

Drclink

Having a bit of a problem with my pc overheating since I installed SI, it freezes now and again have to reboot and cpu temp reads 50 degrees Centigrade.

Ive got a fan blowing in on case at front and one blowing out a solid copper heatsink and fan on cpu idle runs around 39 degrees Centigrade.

Under load the temperature soon increase nothing is overclocked.

Amd xp 1800+
Radeon 9700 pro
512 meg pc2100
60 gig ata100 hdd
K7T266 pro2 msi motherbaord

The only solution ive found so far is to take the side of my case off.
Never once over heated in classic daoc so obviously points to the settings im using in game reflective water etc.
The annoying part is it all runs dead smooth just gets uber hot any suggestions ?

C

CliffyG

50 degrees is fine, the XP cpu's are good to about 80 so i doubt it's that causing the lockups. It's probably the other components getting to hot though, most likely the graphics card. What is your case temp? From what you've said you have no fan sucking air out of the case. The first thing i'd do is get an 80mm fan on the back of the case to suck all that warm air out. Should make a lot of difference. Also make sure all your cables are tidy and not blocking airflow.

B

Belsameth

failing that, you8 can always turn around the fan in your powersuply so it blows out air instead of sucking it in. might not help as much as a dedicated fan, but it's better then nothing.

M

mib666

Or you could raid your life savings and buy this , I use one and the CPU runs 17 deg C cooler than when using a steel case.

J

Jupitus

Sorry for hijacking this.... but :)

I run one of the fairly new DELL towers - nicely put together and generally I don't have a cooling issue now with my Radeon 9700, but I used to with a GeForce3 so I think it may be borderline. I was considering replacing the standard issue fan with one from the same manufacturer but with a higher air circulation volume rating... question is has anyone else done this and if so do you have any feedback at all please?

Thanks...

M

mib666

I wouldn't bother changing that fan as it will not make much difference. I would however rip the Heatsink off, clean up the chip using surgical spirit and stick("Artic Silver" heat conducting epoxy resin) a dirty great big 60mm heatsink and fan on. Did this with my Radeon 8500 , shame it takes up 2 PCI slots though ;)

Don't try this at home, practice on a brothers, sisters or friends PC :)

D

Drclink

i didnt explain to well in my initial post i do have a fan at the back sucking air out,i even tried reversing it so fan at back blew in as was closer to cpu and the one at front sucked air out.

What happens is the cpu temp hits 50+ never higher than 52 the case temp is about 41 degrees at this point. Everything locks up and power of is the only answer.

I used to have a radeon 8500 also and used to experience similar problems as i am now with things like quake 3 when playing in a match.

Thus i bought the biggest damn copper heatsink and a fan big enough to blow the side of my case off. Used arctic fox when i put the heatsink in place.

The only major thing that differs from amd's spec is my powersupply it has no duct on the base so the airflow from the front fan infacts mainly gets sucked out the psu.

Ive rooted all cables flat to the case sides as best as humanly possible or tucked those that i couldnt out of the way.

Sat here typing this it infact is running at a steady cpu temp of 39 degrees C.

Everythign has latest drivers etc.

If i touch the cpu's copper heatsink it feels cool to touch no warmth at all.

I spose theres no real answer than a different case or more cooling. But i truly appreciate the replys given.

P

pringler

its allways a good idea to tidy cables in and arround your case and to have a intake and an outake fan to have a circulation of airflow arround the case

you say the heatsink isnt hot to touch but its reading 50deg? have you applyed any compound to the chip like asII or did u use the termal pad most h/s come with?

temp diodes arnt allways spot on with temps it can vary board to board so somtimes expect a 10-5deg plus or minus on the temp readings.

it could be a psu problem btw what are your rails at?

D

Drclink

I used artic fox silver compound with the heatsink and fan for the cpu it came with a tube in the box and there was no thermal pad on base of heatsink.

I put a small amount of the compund on the die of the cpu and used an old credit card to smooth it across the surface (area about 8mm long)

Unfortunatly I have no idea as to what rails of psu are so hopefully you can explain to me.

P

pringler

you can go into your BIOS when you first switch on your pc by hitting the DEL key, then goto PC Health and then it should display the PSU output values with their line voltage, otherwise download a program called motherboard monitor 5 this is a gen purpose app that checks the temps of your pc and line values of your psu within wndows and you can set alam ranges or shutdown ranges say when cpu hit 80deg beep and shutdown pc

M

mid_Efour

random crashes power shortage?!

Oh boy yes yes and yes i had a radeon 9700pro and yes it gets freaking hot but well within tolerances, same applies to AMD cpus 50 degrees C is fine even upto 60 is on the hot side of fine.

What i do suspect, as i am having the same troubles now, is you possibly need an upgrade to your PSU, the generic 230-300W psu`s that come with cases just cannot really efficiently cope with the extreme power drain of AMD and next gen. GFX cards combined. Add to this 2 HDD`s and 2 CDroms and 3 ddr dimms. and any poor little psu is going to start having problems.

Maintaing a correct and stable voltage to AGP and RAM is esential or this will start to cause BSOD and crashes galore, particulalry in MS Win 2000 and XP I have noticed.

this is the 2nd time i have had to replace a PSU before on my older GF3 amd 1400 tbird i had random crashes solved by a new PSU.

This may not be the case for yourself but for im hoping it solves my "current" problems again.

F

freewheelin

Sounds like power not heat

Umm, DRClink I agree with mid-Efour, sounds like power not heat.

52 degrees chip, and 41 degrees case are OK to good for heat.

So sounds like power.

Go into BIOS and raise the CPU voltage by very small amounts, e.g. if at 1.76 go to 1.77, then 1.78 etc and see if this solves the problem.

Also consider a 400w powoer supply that are now only about £20-00.

I know people who have upgraded PSUs with the results of instant improved stability.

Hope this helps.

P

pringler

Re: Sounds like power not heat

Originally posted by freewheelin

Also consider a 400w powoer supply that are now only about £20-00.

....... Dont go for a 20 quid 400 watt psu its more likely you are goin to be replacing the old naff one with a more uptodate naff one :/ enermax have allways been a good brand for a good psu, now rember you allways get what u payed for, and was me who suggested it was his psu :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Enermax_111.html

a nice 350w psu should do u fine but 400w is the next step and it deprends on your full system setup if you dont mind posting, and are you overclocking the chip at all?

D

Drclink

MSI k7t266 pro 2 motherboard
Amd xp 1800 + cpu
2x 256 meg pc 2100 ram
1x maxtor 60 gig ata 100 hdd
1x 52x24x52 cdrw
1x 32x cd
1x Creative Soundblaster audigy
1x radeon 9700 pro (connect 3d)
1x screw less case with fan front and rear
1x 300w psu with rear intake
Windows 2k pro

All with latest drivers and service packs and latest via 4in1

Nothing is overclocked thus the edit forgot to say that bit :)

F

freewheelin

At 300w looks like PSU

Drclink, thanks for spec info.

At 300w looks like the PSU. Go 400w if you can.

Pringler sorry forgot you mentioned PSU first.

P

pringler

a quick note about PSU's

all because its a 300w psu it doesnt mean thats the problem 300w shouldnt be able to run that... wrong its the strength of the lines and the quality of the psu

atm i have a yya102 case with a 200w psu

http://www.hexus.net/preview.php?review=490&page=4

running

Motherboard: Gigabyte S8tml
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.8mhz A (northwood)
Memory: 2x 256mb Crucial 2100ddr
GFX: Asus Geforce 4 4200 128mb
HDD: 80gb Maxtor DX740
Soundcard: Creative Live! 5.1
CD-ROM: Pioneer Slot loading DVD
LCD: Matrix Orbital BLC2021-WB

and have no problems with stabilty its on 24/7 because the 200w are ample for the system, but the psu has very stable lines. a cheap 30 quid case with a 300w psu is fine for the office pc but when u are talking gaming computers they need a very stable PSU to be able to cope with the demand mainly for the agp voltage and the drives. thats why i recomended an enermax, tho enermax ant the best psu;s for high overclockers

D

Drclink

ok ive looked into the bios and noted down voltage figures.

they are as follows :

Spreads Spectrum disabled
cpu fsb 133 mhz
cpu fsb/pci overclocking h/w i.e not overclocking fsb
cpu ratio 11.5
cpu vcore Auto (range 1.725-1.850 increase of 0.025 increments)
Ddr Volotage Auto (range 2.6 or 2.7)

follows psu ratings

vcore 1.712v - 1.744v
vtt 1.200v - 1.264v
vio 3.280v - 3.392v
+5.000v 5.030v - 5.058v
+12.000v 12.045v - 12.106v
-12.000v -12.728v - -12.810v
-5.000v -5.077v - -5.127v

these where figures i noted from the lowest to highest over several minutes of watching the figures change in bios.

F

freewheelin

Try upping the cpu vcore

Drclink try upping the cpu vcore voltage to 1.76 and then go up to 1.78 to see if that helps. Go in 0.05 increments.

I would not got above 1.8. Don't ask me why as I tend to tinker with PCs until they work. Just that over 1.8 seems too high for the chip.

Otherwise it is a new PSU, as pringler says an enermax 350 or 400.

D

Drclink

i can only go 1.750 1775 or 1800 etc have to go up .025 at a time.

A

Alia_CBH

I had the same problem here. Tried everything to no result until my USB hub fell behind the PC and i touched the fan grid of my 350W PSU and got almost burned. Solution was that the 350W PSU didn't deliver enough amperage. After i changed it to a 350W with more amperage it worked fine

C

cjc1665

Everyone's suddenly become a bit para about their PSU's since the 9700 pro and the powerful AMD chips were released. There's a lot of rowlocks talked about it all. Hopefully this article should clear up some confusion:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/

I recently had problems that I thought were down to the PSU, and it turned out to be a failed network card. A new one (15 quid) sorted out the problem that a good psu (80 quid) didn't.

cjc.

Users who are viewing this thread