Overclocking advice pweeease

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Right,i'm lookin at crankin my Q6600 a lot! i got the coolin system to take it to 3.2+. I aint familiar with OC'in...i know how to do it...but anyone got any tips? do's an dont's..just want some advice so's not to fook it up.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Go up in small increments, no more than 5 at a time, and stress test your hardware each time to make sure it is stable.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
You'll be OC'ing your memory too if you raise the FSB speed. Make sure you keep your memory at decent speeds or you'll be shopping for new ones real soon :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
If you're new, IMO it's best to try and stick to 33mhz steps - if something works fine at for instance 354mhz FSB, run it at 333 rather than 366 to err on the side of safety.
So for instance, 300mhz/333/366/400 etc.
That will ensure the least amount of problems across the board (almost literally) with memory, graphics and the other hardware reliant on the FSB in one way or another.

However you might find it works fine half way between - in which case the very small increments is a good tip. Getting more advanced, if you find it starts getting unstable, increase the CPU core voltage by the smallest available increment and re-test it. Don't go too high though - when overclocking the processor is getting warmer during normal operation and bumping the voltage up too much can be dangerous. Just keep it all well cooled and you should get good results.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Righto, cheers guys, will be having a go at getting it to 3.2GHZ next week...bit tied up with work and got a weekend away from home comin up.

Thanks a lot :drink:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Is your RAM 800MHZ or 1066?MHZ ? only when you start increasing the FSB, you may find the RAM is letting you down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom