Games Ouya kickstarter

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can put emulators on a media centre already. You just have to build a Windows or Linux based media player.

This does look interesting though...I am not sure I want one though.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's on android, so why would I bother buying one, when it will be ripped to pieces?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's an interesting idea but it's unlikely that it will challenge the Sony and Microsoft camps. There's no mention of titles and they seem to be flying it based on the "create your own stuff" premise which you can do for Android market already if you were that way inclined.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Maybe I'm missing something here but what's to stop someone who gets all this Kickstart money and just running off with it?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because it's andriod you would have the entire back catalogue of megadrive and SNES games and a decent proportion of PS1 games available via very stable emulators. There are also some fairly decent andriod games coming out now and again, mostly your PSN or XBOX live standard but decent enough for a quick blast now and again.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
It's an interesting idea but it's unlikely that it will challenge the Sony and Microsoft camps. There's no mention of titles and they seem to be flying it based on the "create your own stuff" premise which you can do for Android market already if you were that way inclined.
There's a shit load of screwing about if you want to make games playable on your TV though.

IF it's like Xbox Live Arcade and a lot easier to make games then a lot of developers will move their games on to the platform.

A lot of developers dislike PS3/Xbox atm due to having to do a lot of bullshit to get their games on that platform and only having 512mb of memory to play with.. so this console will be good for them until the new xbox+playstation are out..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I doubt it. By the time its been fully developed, manufactured, marketed and distributed the new consoles will be pretty close to being available. It just won't get enough market share in time to be a reasonable investment for serious developers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
With a 100€ pricetag, i doubt it'll be anything outside a twitch stream device(which is kinda cool) and some low level indie game platform. Which is fine if you want something to play on the phone, but not for a relaxation console at home. I think these guys underestimate the "regular" console player and over-estimate their speciality. Not to mention, if it does succeed, they'll give into the big EA/MS moneyz faster then a hookers panties come off in the wasteland.

In short; great for indie developers who don't have a good enough product(that's the reason folks) for the console/PC market, not so much for the consumer.

Basically a console for tablescraps.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh yeah, above is just a morning kneejerk reaction so it's most likely excessive and a bit unfair ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Disagree with the "don't have a good enough product" bit. it's not to do with the quality of their product - there are great games on Android (and iOS) that will never see the light of day on a "proper" console. These two platforms are just infinitely more accessible than "proper" consoles, especially for small indie devs.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
All of this is dependent on them gaining traction and ending up with a userbase willing to spend money. Any takers?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a Commodore 64 and games inside a Quickshot joystick. That's far cooler.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Disagree with the "don't have a good enough product" bit. it's not to do with the quality of their product - there are great games on Android (and iOS) that will never see the light of day on a "proper" console. These two platforms are just infinitely more accessible than "proper" consoles, especially for small indie devs.

Well they don't have a good enough product to break into the console/PC market, otherwise they would get in. Great games for android, phones, whatnot, but not enough to be in the main market(which ofcourse is based on publishers and all that). Good enough doesn't just involve what the game is, or how fun it is, there's a lot more to it. Maybe they lack marketing, maybe they lack support, maybe they simply have non-publishable bugs. Who knws, but they were rejected for a reason.

As i said, this will the console for those games, nothing wrong with it per say, but if you had the choice of getting a console for scrapgames, or for mainstream games, most will go for mainstream and if you don't get a large enough clientbase for this, it will fall and lose all support and then the console will become a dust collector in peoples closets. Remains to be seen, but i'm not too confident in this breaking through. If it does, i might actually get one, but it has more going against it then for it.

Indie games also have other issues due to lack of funding, even if the coregame might be excellent; customer support, bugs, updates and so on. "Indie game" has become a bit of a shield for some games from critique, it's still just a game.

As said; this seems great for indie developers, but might not carry enough for the customer.

Bah, TL:DR, don't know why but i smell poop incoming. Ok? :D

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't get the TV angle.

I always played consoles on my TV. I've got my computer hooked up to my 42" LG and am typing on it right now...

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
All of this is dependent on them gaining traction and ending up with a userbase willing to spend money. Any takers?
Well they will probably gain at least $5m from kickstarter.. so they won't be in much debt on day 1 which is good.

They will probably take 15-20% of all the money spent in their Game/App store as well, they will make money, no doubt about it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not them, users.

Also afaik they already had venture capital funding so Kickstarter is more a way to generate interest.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Not them, users.

Also afaik they already had venture capital funding so Kickstarter is more a way to generate interest.
Bit of a cheeky way to raise money, too. Normally you'd get shares in the company for an investment, not a t shirt signed by some nerd.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
They just announced XBMC for android so it might have some success as a mediaplayer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom