Advice Outdoor Cinema?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I am currently considering building a screen in my back garden. Has anyone else done this? So far I'm thinking of an 100 inch screen with an optoma projector ( hd141x i think) with sound being powered by either my tv sound bar or some old pc speakers I have knocking around. The projector must be able to output 1080p at 24hz and 3d is an added bonus. Am I on the right lines with this set up or can anyone make any recommendations thank you please?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I am currently considering building a screen in my back garden. Has anyone else done this? So far I'm thinking of an 100 inch screen with an optoma projector ( hd141x i think) with sound being powered by either my tv sound bar or some old pc speakers I have knocking around. The projector must be able to output 1080p at 24hz and 3d is an added bonus. Am I on the right lines with this set up or can anyone make any recommendations thank you please?
Im glad im not your neighbour.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd save your money and move somewhere better m8. ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I made a screen once by painting the necessary 16:9 box on a wall with light grey paint, but if you're actually constructing your own screen for outdoor use then I'd be asking over on avforums.com in their self-build section.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I made a screen once by painting the necessary 16:9 box on a wall with light grey paint, but if you're actually constructing your own screen for outdoor use then I'd be asking over on avforums.com in their self-build section.
And your council for planning permission hehe

JBP|

Part of the furniture

The actual construction of the screen isn't a problem. I was just wondering if there were better options than the optoma projector and pc speakers/ sound bar :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The actual construction of the screen isn't a problem. I was just wondering if there were better options than the optoma projector and pc speakers/ sound bar :)
Stadium speakers ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

I would have thought you would need something a little more substantial than PC speakers, a decent soundbar might do it.

old.user4556

I wouldn't touch an Optoma projector with a barge pole. I've had two and both packed in. The second one was repaired under warranty, but failed again just outside the "further one year" warranty. Seven Oaks in Edinburgh stopped stocking Optoma eventually, too many issues.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I wouldn't touch an Optoma projector with a barge pole. I've had two and both packed in. The second one was repaired under warranty, but failed again just outside the "further one year" warranty. Seven Oaks in Edinburgh stopped stocking Optoma eventually, too many issues.
What projector would you recommend that does 1080p in the £500 price bracket?

I've used the pc speakers to play music in the garden and that was ok so I'm guessing they would be ok for playing movies too

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Well a bit googling reveals the optoma to be the 3rd best progector of 2014 and the best in it's price range. Now I dont know wtf to do :/

old.user4556

Don't get me wrong, they were great projectors, but what reviews don't tell you is their long term performance, which in my case was failure of two models within a few years. Most of the things that go wrong are lamp related which is covered by a limited warranty (or it was at the time).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well a bit googling reveals the optoma to be the 3rd best progector of 2014 and the best in it's price range. Now I dont know wtf to do :/
Build an extension and a proper cinema room. Rather than an outside one you can use for two weeks a year :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
What projector would you recommend that does 1080p in the £500 price bracket?

I've used the pc speakers to play music in the garden and that was ok so I'm guessing they would be ok for playing movies too
For outdoor, lumins (Brightness) is the key. Higher the better for the picture. Also make sure of your distance requirements last thing you want is a short throw home/meeting room type that will not cut it outside.

You won't get anything decent that is HD and >2500 Lumins for under 1500 GBP

Panasonic Badboy
HD PT-DZ16K - 16K Lumins

other examples here:
http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/professionalprojectors.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom