out of sight, out of mind ?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
always find it so telling when stuff like this happens, and there isnt a big campaign or anything. i presume its cos they arent white people living in europe, or is there a better reason ?

:(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I was gonna post about the issue too, but thought, meh..why bother...it'll only resort in flames and "you bad person" posts so.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Burma is a closed country that wouldnt let us in anyway afaik.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
It's true Mabs, unless the media has a vested interest in reporting about it, then the story soon gets old. There were also snow storms in China earlier this year. Over a million people were left homeless because their houses collapsed under the weight of the snow, and millions more were left without food or power, but again it was barely reported about.

I can understand they don't want to report the same bad news every day, because people will become desensitized to it (like Iraq). But equally it does make you wonder what their priorities are :( Even New Orleans was forgotten about fairly sharpish, and it's still a wreck now.

Kind regards

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The western media aren't allowed in Burma, thats why we haven't heard much about it. They had to smuggle out footage for the news report. Blame their government.

Anyway, its their own fault for destroying the natural barriers.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No no its our fault of course! We must give them all our money now!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
We should like, sneak in, with like, ninja's!

That would be frickin' AWESOME!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
always find it so telling when stuff like this happens, and there isnt a big campaign or anything. i presume its cos they arent white people living in europe, or is there a better reason ?

:(

Uh what?

Its been all over the news, and theres a ton of international aid being sent.

Its up to the burmese goverment if they want to let our aid workers in.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We should like, sneak in, with like, ninja's!

That would be frickin' AWESOME!

Live! From the Temple of Doom and Death! It's the NINJA AID 2008!! Now here's your host, Blaaaaaaaack Ninja!

itcheh

Part of the furniture
The Burmese Govt. are currently taking the stance of ... no you can't come in, but if you give us the money we'll help the people for you.

Yeah right.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'll buy some women off them if they think it will help.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
No no its our fault of course! We must give them all our money now!

Which is why I tell most charity workers to **** off whenever they attempt the guilt trip while you're walking around in the high streets.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Live! From the Temple of Doom and Death! It's the NINJA AID 2008!! Now here's your host, Blaaaaaaaack Ninja!

wohoo..! they've come to save us and bring us food!

huh? what ? nono pesant, you've got it all wrong,
we'r your new rulers!
and thy flag shall be FH-Green!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Maybe this belongs in the 'Being British' thread, but this morning CNN had some coverage about the Myanmar cyclone. It happened to list the government donations so far:

• US $3.25m
  • EU $3m
  • Australia $2.8m
  • Canada $2m
  • China $1m
  • France, Germany $750k
And the UK? $10m :) I know money doesn't equate to help on the ground, but it's nice to know we're still good for something. I'm sure that money could be well spent back home, but let's face it, our government is great at throwing money into bottomless pits. At least this way, it can (hopefully, corruption aside) be used to help people who really need it.

Kind regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
so the Eu donated 13m ?
Actually it's more, as CNN were just listing the major donations. Wikipedia has a breakdown of all the governmental (not public) donatons so far (the EU as an independent entity can donate money, and the member states individually can donate).

Kind regards

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'd rather the money went to help people in actual need than on the live off benefits culture here.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
when they say they EU they mean the EU commission which ofcourse gets it money from our taxes.

Eu aid only account for like 10% (made that up, its probably less) of all aid given by EU countries. It also tends to be more politicised, tied and less likely to go to those places who need it. The UK on the other hand has been shown to be one of if not the largest donator per capita, has some of the most effective aid programs and almost exclusively to the poorest regions.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
I'd rather the money went to help people in actual need than on the live off benefits culture here.

we could send all the spongers from here, out there to help.

WIN - WIN ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom