Oscars

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Anyone else stay up to watch this American Hype machine in action?

*Rubs bloodshot eyes*

There were some great bits. Billy Crystals opening song and seranade to Clint. Starsky and Owen Wilson ;) Jack Black and Will Ferrel singing the "You're Boring" song.

But my highlight has to be Johnathon ross, the guy from Marion and Geoff and the two impersonators.

I watched the osacr awarsd mainly for the next American advert break when I could get back to the Marion and Geoff guy trying his hardest to do his Ronnie Corbet impression ;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
at the press release thingie afterwards, a journo asked Charlize Theron why women lesbians were allowed to use tongue when kissing on screen, but gay men weren't. She actually answered too....video is on the oscar site... good for a comedy moment.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I saw the last couple of hours of it, missed all the opening wotsits. Charlize Theron does a Gwyneth, but then DOESN'T cry. Not surprised that LOTR won absolutely everything under the sun, not a great year to release a movie if you want an Oscar tbh. Billy Crystal constantly annoyed me with his New Zealand comments, nice to see Peter Jackson got a nice retort in at the end. The Jack Black and Will Farrel (WHO?) song was hilarious, brilliant!

Johnathan Woss with Rob Brydon, Ronni Ancona and Alastair McGowan was class as well. Worth staying up for Rob Brydon alone :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
11 Oscars, for LOTR: ROTK, is obscene and undeserving tbh. Best film? Not by a long shot.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sir Frizz said:
11 Oscars, for LOTR: ROTK, is obscene and undeserving tbh. Best film? Not by a long shot.

The reality is that its awards are for the whole trilogy but the Oscar's aren't geared up to give awards to a series of films, so the last one got all the plaudits. And as a trilogy, yes LOTR does deserve the plaudits.

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
The reality is that its awards are for the whole trilogy but the Oscar's aren't geared up to give awards to a series of films, so the last one got all the plaudits.

Well, that's stupid

And as a trilogy, yes LOTR does deserve the plaudits.

Not really, the first one might deserve something, but the other two aren't deserving of an oscar for sure.

Otto

Fledgling Freddie
The last LOTR was a good movie but not worth 11 oscars.

The Last Samurai is a MUCH better movie imo :)

DaGaffer

Otto said:
The last LOTR was a good movie but not worth 11 oscars.

The Last Samurai is a MUCH better movie imo :)

No it isn't. Yes it is. No it isn't. etc. We're not going to agree on this one. I liked the Last Samurai but its a flawed movie (mainly because of its dodgy politics). LOTR (the whole trilogy) is deserving because of its breadth of vision, the sheer scope of the thing is unparallelled and makes the efforts of certain other bearded trilogy directors look ridiculous by comparison. Its also nice that a 'blockbuster' movie won big at the Oscars for a change instead of the usual miserablist 'worthy' cobblers that usually gets the nod from the academy.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
LOTR deserved them really... sick to death of hearing about Sophia fucking Coppola and her being the first American woman nominated... grrrr so annoying :p

LOTR had to win, it didn't clean up at the last two when it should have done better perhaps, it definitely deserved these... whilst I don't agree with them giving ROTK everything because the others didn't get as much as they deserved, ROTK still deserved em :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
Its also nice that a 'blockbuster' movie won big at the Oscars for a change instead of the usual miserablist 'worthy' cobblers that usually gets the nod from the academy.

lol :\

And Skyler, it is pretty momentous that she's the firts american to be nominated for best director. She made a fucking good film too.

Legott

Fledgling Freddie
Bill Murray should of won actor in leading role in my opinion :<
I'd say I prefered lost in translation to return of the king but I'd only get called a pseudo intellectual...which I am but the truth hurts.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I hate the oscars for the same reason that I hate most comments in this thread. 11 oscars goes to show what a complete farse it is though.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Legott said:
Bill Murray should of won actor in leading role in my opinion :<

He looked gutted. Absolutely gutted.

DaGaffer

leggy said:
I hate the oscars for the same reason that I hate most comments in this thread. 11 oscars goes to show what a complete farse it is though.

What an unbearably smug thing to say. Who do YOU think should have won Oh Wise One? Since clearly your views are more important than those of the rest of us.

leggy

Probably Scottish
DaGaffer said:
What an unbearably smug thing to say. Who do YOU think should have won Oh Wise One? Since clearly your views are more important than those of the rest of us.

It's amusing that you took it so personally. I dislike the oscars as much as I dislike the "lotr = best film evah evah" comments. It was not 11 oscars good, i'm sorry.

It wasn't supposed to come across smug, I was referring mostly to the lotr deserved it all comments.

DaGaffer

Never said LOTR was "best film evah evah" - its not even close. Was it the best film this year though? Sure, you can argue that for some of the technical awards, other nominations were as good as LOTR, but there weren't any qualitatively better. As for the Best Director/Best Picture awards, it would have been a travesty if Peter Jackson hadn't got the award - not giving it to him would send the wrong signal to an image-obsessed industry about the value of an 'event' like the LOTR trilogy. Ditto best picture. On a personal level, I enjoyed Master & Commander and Lost in Translation more than ROTK but I still think that film deserved the Oscar, not because of that part of the film, but for the whole trilogy (which should be considered as one long film anyway), and I'm sure that's how most people who applaud its victory feel.

As for, "I dislike the Oscars" - well why are you bothered what wins then?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Mank, Bill Murry looked miserable from the start, his expression just didn't change when Sean Penn won. Have to say though, all the actors nomintated were not undeserving. I'd have been happy with whoever won.

mank!

Part of the furniture
nath said:
Mank, Bill Murry looked miserable from the start, his expression just didn't change when Sean Penn won. Have to say though, all the actors nomintated were not undeserving. I'd have been happy with whoever won.

I really don't like Sean Penn, he annoys me. I have no idea why as I've only seen a few films with him in and none were awful from what I can remember. Johnny Depp didn't deserve it as all he did was fart about and act drunk in POTC, and I've not seen the others. Oh well.

You're right about Bill Murray though, he looked miserable all night :/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh yeah, you're right about Depp, but I think he's a fantastic actor so I wouldn't have minded him winning that much. But it's true, POTC was far from his best work.

Also, I used to dislike Sean Penn, I dunno why.. I just assumed he was an arsehole. Then I had the thought that perhaps it was because he always played arseholes, and played them well. Dunno, either way I don't dislike him anymore.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
lotr deserved an oscar but it didnt deserve 11 oscars... it was a good film dont get me wrong but it did not deserve 11 oscars

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
I think it deserved everything it got, especially the Best Film and Best Director awards. As mentioned before, it was the last film of a trilogy which why it got all the praise, and as such the end of a real historic movie event, something you can actually call an epic and mean it for a change, and these don't happen very often.

The whole point of giving it 11 Oscars was to say "fuck me, you've done it. Long hard slog, but you've done it". For the amount of effort involved from all involved, it deserved nothing less.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Conchabar said:
lotr deserved an oscar but it didnt deserve 11 oscars... it was a good film dont get me wrong but it did not deserve 11 oscars

That depends on what the individual awards were.

Best Picture : it most certainly was. Huge scope, strong characterisation, and impressive visuals.

Best Director : for an independant film maker, with so much backing, hes done a magnificent job

Best writing/screenplay from previously published : turning such a huge book into 9 hours of screen time is something they did very well

Editing : I don't remember ever getting confused or bored, so another yes for me

Art Direction : nothing else came close this year

Costume Design : see above

Makeup : see above

Music : oh yes

Sound : the olliphant battle must have swung it

Visual Effects : can't argue with that, most advanced CGI so far

Original Song : haven't heard it, so can't comment

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
That depends on what the individual awards were.

Best Picture : it most certainly was. Huge scope, strong characterisation, and impressive visuals.

Best Director : for an independant film maker, with so much backing, hes done a magnificent job

Best writing/screenplay from previously published : turning such a huge book into 9 hours of screen time is something they did very well

Editing : I don't remember ever getting confused or bored, so another yes for me

Art Direction : nothing else came close this year

Costume Design : see above

Makeup : see above

Music : oh yes

Sound : the olliphant battle must have swung it

Visual Effects : can't argue with that, most advanced CGI so far

Original Song : haven't heard it, so can't comment

I agree .. it might not be some peoples cup of tea but as a film making achievement it is unparalelled in the history of Film. You have to apreciate it for what it did for cinema even if you dont like the subject matter.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I thought the Matrix films were far more worthy of 11 oscars than LOTR tbh. The first LOTR was ok-ish, the second dull and I am in no rush to see the thrid one (given that I know what happens). Good conversions of the books maybe , but they didn't really require much in the way of originality, vision or story-telling prowess - they were all already there in the books. The special effects were nothing that special (I'm sorry but Reloaded and Revolutions raised the bar in this department this year - not Bored of the Rings) - altho that would make them just effects if you think about it but I digress - the music was your typical hollywood epic fare (and sounded an awful lot like the Gladiator music in places to my ears certainly) and the costume design, whilst very well carried out, basically involved making what Tolkein had described in the books, again whoop-di-fucking-woo. Most overrated trilogy ever? I really do think so.

But then it all made sense. I thought of the other films that I could remember that cleaned up in a similar way. And I was left with Dances with Wolves and Titanic. Both long, pointless, dull excuses for a film, not even worth 2.99 for the rental. Guess ROTK was a valid winner then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom