Origins talk again ...

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Posted By: Lori Hyrup
2009-06-08 10:25:34

Hey All,
I wanted to let everyone know that Dark Age of Camelot is switching management, and Chris Rabideau will be taking over as Producer of the project once again. Don't worry, I'm not going too far. I've simply been asked to assist in other areas of the studio. When I was informed of the reassignment last week, I made it clear that we needed to keep up the honest communication with you, the player community. To that end, I plan to continue communicating with you personally via the Herald, VN, and Facebook as I have been over these past few months, and Chris will be doing the same. I will also continue helping Chris maintain the momentum we have built and work towards applying a grassroots approach to bringing DAoC what it needs.

I also wanted to confirm that both Chris and I have been actively working over the past couple of months toward getting the Origins rule set back on the books. As of right now, work on it is tentatively scheduled to pick back up in the next few weeks. As I have always said, though, running on a small staff makes our development priorities unpredictable, and as such, this plan could change.

Everz

FH is my second home
Wow nice..way to split up the player base yet again.

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Wow nice..way to split up the player base yet again.

dunno about split

i think nearly every 1 would go to origions
+ so many people waiting to renew if it ever happens

they'd need 3-4 servers to start with i think

then would probly have to cluster them all 6 months later cos daoc players are fickle

Everz

FH is my second home
Nope,

Origins died a long time ago, it's a terrible idea tbh, like i said from the start either roleback to 1.65 or don't bother tbh.

They'd need 1 server at the most, DAOC isnt going to get 10k players to fill 3-4 server out of nowhere.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Just because you want to play your silly warlock! :lol:

I cancled accounts... And hopefully they will get Origins up running sooner or later.

I dont really enjoy TOA server as much as i enjoyed Classic servers...

Was more group based there, too much zergfest xD.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I think an original server would be quite nice. Actually needing to go to Malmo and TG to get your gear. Though a full SC/Alch those days would have been good enough.. Could be tempting

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I would think this new server they're on about creating for charcopy will be Origins ruleset or none at all. I can't believe they'd be daft enuff to split the population now.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Talk about beating a dead horse

just make Ywain fgs

Everz

FH is my second home
Just because you want to play your silly warlock! :lol:

I cancled accounts... And hopefully they will get Origins up running sooner or later.

I dont really enjoy TOA server as much as i enjoyed Classic servers...

Was more group based there, too much zergfest xD.

Classic was a zergfest for the year of high pop, it's only the dwindling population that enabled soloing/duoing to come to life there heh.

Origins will never happen, get over it already people.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Origins wasnt a zergfest... I think you are talking about the european classic... US classic was a rush :)

Everz

FH is my second home
Origins wasnt a zergfest... I think you are talking about the european classic... US classic was a rush :)

No i'm talking about US classic, i played there pre-cluster. Gareth was a zergest for ages and held its own for years, Ector was the smallest but still was extremely zergy for ages, only one that had 8v8/solo was Lamo.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Just delete the stupid folder called "new frontiers" and roll out old emain. I dont ask for much!

Honestly, Old frontiers wasn't even that great..

The nostalga is always good, but when 80% of the people rvring hug milegates it was crap

Mythic never learn that everytime they release a new 'server type' people play it for a while then get bored and returne to the normal servers, Origins will join Andred/Mordred/Classic as the server people had a bit of fun on, then got bored quickly.

Also, no doubt it will turn into Origins(+Valks+Vamps+some TOA item bonuses+400 str tanks) etc etc.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
After taking a few toons to RR5 in cathal valley on Boss, the idea of seeing another milegate jam perma-packed with either

a) bonedancers and warlocks
b) heretics and scouts
c) heretics and scouts and bonedancers and warlocks

makes me fucking mental

Bad announcement timing imho, I wish mythic would just choose a game-plan and stick with it.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Nope,

Origins died a long time ago, it's a terrible idea tbh, like i said from the start either roleback to 1.65 or don't bother tbh.

They'd need 1 server at the most, DAOC isnt going to get 10k players to fill 3-4 server out of nowhere.

Funny you should say 1.65... I think that was as close, if not, balanced on pretty much every character class iirc... I loved that patch...

So yeah bring 1.65 back!!! :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
i'll play if they introduce this, cba with normal ruleset tbh.

and a brand new server is the perfect opportunity for old players to start again

Littles

Loyal Freddie
I dont think they can win whatever they do as different people prefer different things, personally i would love old rulesets, old zones but remove the milegates and add in another route to get out of the portal keep. That would be my perfect selection.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I'd like them to introduce origins. It would bring back a load of subscribers for sure, I just dunno how long it would last really.

Ywain however is what I'm really looking forwards to.

Everz

FH is my second home
Origins is not Old DAOC it is a mutilated version nothing like the good old times.

1.65 or GTFO.

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Good news and iniative.

Quite sceptic though, but we will see.

Funny is that there still is no replacer for daoc in the mmo scene, I have to resort to RTS and FPS to keep my addiction at bay ;)

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Origins is not Old DAOC it is a mutilated version nothing like the good old times.

1.65 or GTFO.

To be really honest, what do we even know about mythics final version or their own idea/take on "origins"

All we know is the retarded structures that where flamed endlessly, we know th discussion about CC ( no decision was ever publically released ), uhm we know about the "no theug but keep valks" idea..was also heavily flamed on forums and in peoples feedbacks.

But I see your point in a worst case scenario if all those things makes it into a final version IF they do release this, "nobody" will play it and prolly migth split the population somewhat ( where curious people will try it for a few weeks - that little percentage beeing enough to kill the ToA server rvr balance/flow doom etc ).

:p

Santa's little helper

Fledgling Freddie
Honestly, Old frontiers wasn't even that great..

The nostalga is always good, but when 80% of the people rvring hug milegates it was crap

Mythic never learn that everytime they release a new 'server type' people play it for a while then get bored and returne to the normal servers, Origins will join Andred/Mordred/Classic as the server people had a bit of fun on, then got bored quickly.

Also, no doubt it will turn into Origins(+Valks+Vamps+some TOA item bonuses+400 str tanks) etc etc.

Me + 99% of the population quit due to NF...

I say bring back old frontiers.

Everz

FH is my second home
To be really honest, what do we even know about mythics final version or their own idea/take on "origins"

All we know is the retarded structures that where flamed endlessly, we know th discussion about CC ( no decision was ever publically released ), uhm we know about the "no theug but keep valks" idea..was also heavily flamed on forums and in peoples feedbacks.

But I see your point in a worst case scenario if all those things makes it into a final version IF they do release this, "nobody" will play it and prolly migth split the population somewhat ( where curious people will try it for a few weeks - that little percentage beeing enough to kill the ToA server rvr balance/flow doom etc ).

:p

I can see it being the same case as US classic when it was released.

At the time Merlin was holding onto a steady 1600 by itself, with 2 weeks after the launch of Classic it had to be clustered as the numbers had dropped so significantly, those numbers were never replaced as most who stayed just quit.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
They can either do nothing and watch the population dwindle, or try something which might get a huge chunk of players back for nostalgia.

I know which I'd prefer... :p

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I don't think Devon's population is dwindling though, it seems to be increasing. As far as one can tell from the perception of new players in the /advice channel and bodies around Tir Na Nog and Druim Ligen.

Thugz

Banned
Must admit I was a bit disappointed with the supposedly 'Classic' server. SC and crafting resulting in opted elite players again which ruled out fast easy game play. I thought classic would be something like how the game first appeared without all the bells and whistles and expansions. Gear from drops and stuff like that - fun stuff. Bringing back old style Thid and none of the expansions since would have been the thing.

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
I can see it being the same case as US classic when it was released.

At the time Merlin was holding onto a steady 1600 by itself, with 2 weeks after the launch of Classic it had to be clustered as the numbers had dropped so significantly, those numbers were never replaced as most who stayed just quit.

Aye, I can see that too, afterall it is Mythic we talk about - they have in the past made bigger messes of smaller things then this :)..

But I can also see that with abit of new blood, and a motivated dev team that wanna prove themself ( as Lori ) could get things right.

I mean there is no denying that say:

DAoC:
OF scenary ( SI zones included, Agramon included somehow, old thid included )
All old classes up to SI ( SI incl that is )
No cata classes, no laby classes
Old archery system
No ToA bonuses
No toa items
Old keeps and relic keeps

Updated dragon loot, updated DR loot to make these places raid worthy and interesting ( could be over caps, celerity procs, omni procs and so on like today just not the ToA dmg stats )

This would appeal to alot of people, sure the ToA servers might die but for me it doesn't matter anymore since I wouldn't play NF daoc anyway :(

But true, if they messed it all up and split population it wouldnt be good for the ones who still wanna fall back on their ToA server.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Aye, I can see that too, afterall it is Mythic we talk about - they have in the past made bigger messes of smaller things then this :)..

But I can also see that with abit of new blood, and a motivated dev team that wanna prove themself ( as Lori ) could get things right.

I mean there is no denying that say:

DAoC:
OF scenary ( SI zones included, Agramon included somehow, old thid included )
All old classes up to SI ( SI incl that is )
No cata classes, no laby classes
Old archery system
No ToA bonuses
No toa items
Old keeps and relic keeps

Updated dragon loot, updated DR loot to make these places raid worthy and interesting ( could be over caps, celerity procs, omni procs and so on like today just not the ToA dmg stats )

This would appeal to alot of people, sure the ToA servers might die but for me it doesn't matter anymore since I wouldn't play NF daoc anyway :(

But true, if they messed it all up and split population it wouldnt be good for the ones who still wanna fall back on their ToA server.

Not sure, think I'd be after dropping the stat caps tbh - everything else I'd go with. All this talk of killing the theurg, bringing in the Valk & keeping the new archery system smacks of them tinkering with something that needs to be left as it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom