Help Ordering Electronics from Abroad

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'm looking to order a number of small, high value (> $500 each) electronic items from the USA and possibly Singapore. Since this board is, I'm quoting Deebs here "full of dodgy fuckers", what tips does FH have to avoid paying import duty where possible?

rynnor

Rockhound
Zarjazz said:
I'm looking to order a number of small, high value (> $500 each) electronic items from the USA and possibly Singapore. Since this board is, I'm quoting Deebs here "full of dodgy fuckers", what tips does FH have to avoid paying import duty where possible?

The simplest would be bringing them back yourself with them out of packaging but that depends how many and whether they would reasonably be taken on hols.

rynnor

Rockhound
The next requires a friend in the country of sale whp can repackage it and dress it up as a gift (a letter and random photos would work).

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ask the supplier to gift-stamp it or mis-declare the value (but then you risk having it uninsured).

soze

I am a FH squatter
The easiest way to to have the other end call it a gift. If the shipping label says it is a gift valued at $500 I believe that is then Tax Free?

I might be talking out of my arse there but a company i used to buy PS3 games from shipped everything as a gift and I never got hit with tax. But anything sent from Amazon who ship it as magnetic media or similar always got hit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've found that, if they're a reputable company (ie not some bloke on ebay) they will flat-out refuse to mis-declare stuff. I bought some camera-y things from Really Right Stuff in the America and their faq specifically states:
I am an international customer and I don't want to pay high taxes on my order. Can you please lie about the value of the goods so I don't get charged by customs?

We are required by law to accurately report the value and contents of international shipments; please do not ask us to undervalue the content on customs declaration forms.
DigitalRev in Hong Kong work a system whereby you can pay a bit of a premium and they will cover any customs charges that the package incurs on its way to you or you can not pay the premium and take your chances.

Do you know anyone in the states or Singapore? It would be worth getting it delivered to them if possible and then getting them to repackage it and send it on.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, most legit companies won't undervalue the goods because it is basically fraud. Plus insurance risk and whatnot as already mentioned.

Is there anyone you know in the US that you could have it delivered to and then they send them to you as a gift?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Is there anyone you know in the US that you could have it delivered to and then they send them to you as a gift?

Yes, I think I do know someone who could possibly do that. The other option is a possible trip to the states, good excuse for a holiday :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
also, be aware that the royal tax gougers are well strange: I've had no tax on super expensive stuff, and tax on things that were below the value trigger. also they once tried to sting me with a tonne of tax on books and tshirts claiming it was electronics and that took several irate phonecalls to resolve.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
marking stuff as gift is not good enough, alot of the companies in the us now refuse to mark items as gift any more do to some daft tax law over there. also hmrc also check the sender details if its a retailer and the items are brand spanking new they slap you for import tax.

best way as mentioned by others is via us based 3rd party. but make sure there is no invoice and say for example its a tablet make sure its not in the orignal box.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I've ordered loads of shit from china. They always declare it a gift and value it at 1/10th of its value. I've never paid any tax or had any issues.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yeah diff for china tho. got tubes for my headphone amp sent to me as gift didnt get taxed on it.
a friend sent a toy car from the states to my son for his bday $15 car got £13 tax on it for some daft reason and it was marked as gift

Chilly

Balls of steel
You could just pay the tax. That's why the stuff is more expensive here, cos it's had tax applied. At least you dont have to pay vat AND import duty.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The worst part about this is the Post Office handling fee. To figure out and charge you the Duty on a $40 BluRay they changed me a £11.50 handling fee. That is why I use Amazon.com now as they add the duty to the order so it comes in prepaid and saves you the thieving bastard tax.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
The worst part about this is the Post Office handling fee.
royal mail not post office. both are different companies now its royal mail that handles the parcels and mails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom