Phones Orange being cunts about an unlock

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My missus' 24 month contract on an HTC Desire has come to an end, so she phoned Orange for a code to unlock it (she's given it to her mother). They want £20 for this - I was under the impression that once it was out of contract then they were obliged to do it, but after a bit of Googling it seems that's not the case and it's in the Ts and Cs.

So, good to see Orange are still cunts. I left them because they were cunts, and right to the end they're being cunts.

My question is: what's the cheapest way to do it myself? Any advice on doing it? Better to take it to a "wee local mobile dude shop"?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Just root it chum, have a quick Google search and it will all become apparent. I am quite sure that will unlock the phone, it is a piece of piss to do as well. Everything you need will be on XDA.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmmm, it doesn't matter what their T&C's say G, aren't they legally obliged to provide you with this?

I'd complain to the regulator, even if you do root.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Hmmm, it doesn't matter what their T&C's say G, aren't they legally obliged to provide you with this?

I'd complain to the regulator, even if you do root.

No, there's no law which forces a mobile network to provide unlock codes. Sadly Oftel/Ofcom decided to only go for consumer awareness over regulation, however at least most of the networks provide the codes for the vast majority of their phones. In this case it isn't too bad, they're willing to unlock it - even if it's for £20.

Always check the T&Cs carefully before you start a contract to ensure that you can get an unlock code, and that you don't have an exclusive handset which they might refuse to unlock. The easiest thing to do is to buy an unlocked phone in full so you don't have to deal with this bullshit.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Just so everyone knows, O2 will unlock a phone free of charge at the end of a contract. Even if it's a high end phone.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just so everyone knows, O2 will unlock a phone free of charge at the end of a contract. Even if it's a high end phone.
This, they unlocked my original iPhone and my current one.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Cheers guys, will root it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Did you tell them you were leaving before you asked, Orange unlocked my HTC for free after 9 months. If you said you were leaving first they were probably just trying to get what they can.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
o2 unlocked my iphone 4 for free half way through my contract, just because i asked the lady politely.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm binning off orange this weekend. Got my S3. Hadn't even thought that I'd (of course) need to unlock it.

Not gonna pay 20 quid to the cunt0rs. How'd the unlock go @Big G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom