should you be allowed to apply for test, time after time until you pass

• yes you should

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • no you shouldn't, you suck!

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

- English -

Resident Freddy
Ive always felt, especially since I passed first time a few years back that when u hear stories about people who failed 4 times or sometimes 6+ that they shouldnt be able to apply for another test for at least 1 year or something. I reckon that its bad they can keep applying for another and another test... its obvious you suck at driving. I know a guy who is a deathtrap on the roads, he obviously fluked his test.

A side note. Himse failed his driving test 2day for the 4th time, and we were arguing my opinon (above), and he said that he should be allowed to keep taking them.

Himse

FH is my second home
ROFL, stop making up shite, just cos u got knifed by a bot in cs.

i took my first test today. and yes i failed :<

- English -

Resident Freddy
ROFL, stop making up shite, just cos u got knifed by a bot in cs.

i took my first test today. and yes i failed :<

Whats CS got to do with this. Yes i did cos i was semi afk.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
On de fence here.

Sure, you are there to learn so you should be able to take the test many times ofcourse.

But i believe that it should become harder also, on each step. Like, the difficulty of the test should correlate the progress made in first test.

Otherwise it's just learning the ropes by repetition of task at hand.

Himse

FH is my second home
Not really, you should have a chance to drive, fuck getting the bus for the rest of your life.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
should take it a bit more seriously and practice more, driving is a serious thing. Not a personal dig or anything but, just makes you wonder with these ppl that do like 40 retakes.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Get a bicycle lazy bastards!!

I really don't care how many times you need to try. When you do pass I guess you are qualified to drive in public.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
There shouldnt be a maximum limit in my opinion, but i agree people taking tests 10+ times is a bit of a shambles.

The thing to do is look at the system as a whole and make small changes to all of it, rather than one big sweeping change in one area and just hoping it solves it.

First what you need is a longer grace period between being able to take tests, at the moment I believe there is already something like that in place, but its a matter of weeks, what it needs is a system where the more you fail, the longer you have to wait between retaking the test. Someone who fails once shouldnt have to wait months to beable to retake the test. However, if that person then fails a second and third time, then the fourth test should have a much longer waiting period to ensure the person properly learns from whatever mistakes they are continually making.

It needs a system where after 10 fails the person is given more thorough help and thier problems are looked at by someone who can see what the problem is - because after 10 fails its pretty obvious theres a problem there somewhere. It could well be a mental thing, in which case the person shouldnt be on the road anyway. If the person is deemed to be unsafe after thier case is looked at in-depth after 10 fails then they should be made to go through a purpose built system of help and learning to correct the problem and get them to a point where they can start again.

Just my opinion on the matter anyway :D

eksdee

FH is my second home
should certainly be a max number. i think people are given too much leniency in their driving tests as it is.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
they should have the 3 strike system, then you cant re-apply for a certain time period before you can take the test again

best of both worlds

Nate

FH is my second home
If you fail, theres a reason for it. It isn't just nerves, if you were on the road on your own you wouldn't be able to deal with situations in the right way. Unlike me, I'm able to drive over the limit wherever I like as it's often at the hours when people who don't deserve to live are walking around(it's very late/very early). So I guess my point here is, when you fail you should view it as a chance to learn what went wrong, why it went wrong and how you can become better at it. If you suck the testers cock that often works, but really it's down to Himse sucking at cs and irl driving he probably sucks at sucking cock but thats Emoglish's call, maybe you should try to watch me pwn irl driving as cs is beneath me now, I pwn it too much. I think I'm just about done with this paragraph, hopefully the easter eggs inside surprised you!!!!!!

Mey

Part of the furniture
I passed second time, my first time i failed on something stupidly pointless (i slowed down to 40 too early on duel carriage way). Aren't centres already targeted on so many passes/fails..

Isn't there plans already for a reduced driving age but a longer time as a learner before test in the pipe line anyway?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I think you should be able to take it as many times as you want, if you pass the test then you can obviously drive.

However i think people should have to redo the test when their old, about 60 or so.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
First test - no compolsary hours(total)
Second test - 5 additional compolsary hours
Third test - 10 additional compolsary hours
etc etc.

At least then they're continuing to be taught how to drive, rather then failing then trying to fluke it the next time. It'll put a much greater emphasis on the first couple of tries too. Some people would argue it's unfair to have to pay so much, others would argue it's unfair that they could kill people through being a crap driver or do damages to innocent peoples cars.

Also get rid of the bullshit tallies driving instructors have to hit. If you get 10 great drivers, you should pass 10 drivers, not have to fail some of them and it goes the other way too.

And as for redoing your test over a certain age, I completely agree. A couple of years ago an old man who lives at the end of our cul de sac somehow got his foot stuck on the accelarator pedal while going in reverse. He shot out of the driveway, narrowly missed 3 parked cars before crossing the main road at speed and hurtling through the front of someones house. Luckily no-one was hurt but there was no way in hell he should have still been driving.

Just a year ago in torbay there was another similar story published in the local paper...

leviathane

Part of the furniture
our next door neighbour was reversing into our drive way floored it and managed to do £15k worth of dmg to both the parents cars. She managed to push my mums car onto my old mans.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Himse is it true you onoly had 1 lesson before taking the test?

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
I think you should have to have a minimum number of lessons between tests.
Say 5 hours or so.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
There should be both a fail limit and a time limit.
You should only be allowed to attempt your test 5 times per learner license, 3 year limit between renewals. Reason being, some people are unable to drive, either via ability (reactions etc) or just ignorance (Check mirror and pull out, doesn't matter whats coming).

I see too much dickhead behaviour from professional drivers, and to be honest, the only reason we dont see more accidents these days is litteraly pure dumb luck. If you can't pass the test, you may want to consider that the reason you can't is because the standards are too high, to keep you SAFE.

Don't be discouraged though, nerve does play into it too. However, if your still nervous by the time you do your second test, give it some serious thought about stopping right there... chances are no may never get the nerve up to pass, and you'll be just throwing away money.

Gurde your loins, take a paracetamol (Trust me, it will help keep you calm) and try again. Plus 6 hours driving practice the day before would help. Trust me though, if your good enough, you will pass.

Nate

FH is my second home
There is a time limit, theory expires after a while think provisional does too

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
Unlike me, I'm able to drive over the limit wherever I like as it's often at the hours when people who don't deserve to live are walking around(it's very late/very early)

yeah ok mr topgear, just because some people work late/early or are on their way home from somewhere, they should have to watchout for crazy over-the-limit-drivers? there's a limit for a reason tardino

should totally be a limit to how many times per year you can take your test, how can you fail more than 10 times that's aweful ;//

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
i think u should be allowed try as many times until u pass but...
after u fail u have 6months to complete 5-10 more driving lessons or u cant sit the test again for like a yr or something where u need to have more lessons and take the theory test again too so basically starting from scratch!

edit: nerf after reading the 2nd page noticed most my ideas were already mentioned

Nate

FH is my second home
yeah ok mr topgear, just because some people work late/early or are on their way home from somewhere, they should have to watchout for crazy over-the-limit-drivers? there's a limit for a reason tardino
It was mainly sarcasm, but thanks for your comment. If your trying to get people/someone to see your point, refrain from bitching it makes your whole statement void.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I think the whole driving test is a load of bollocks anyway. Seriously, how many people do you see a year after taking their test slowly reversing neatly round a corner instead of pulling back round at 30 in the middle of the road then zooming off again??

I'm of the opinion that you should have much more regular driving test intervals that you need to pass in order to retain your licence. BUT and it's a big but they shouldn't be the farce they are at the moment.
95% of drivers on the road would of failed their driving test by driving into work in the morning. Most of them drove safely without putting lives in danger, but they would of received a fail for something stupid like not having their hands constantly in the 10-2 position..

It's actually not that hard to fluke the current test despite being a crap driver. I've been in a car with lots of people that should never of passed, but got through by having a lucky 10 minutes on their 8th attempt. It's not easy to judge if someone is fully ready or able to drive by spending only 10 mins in a car with them around side streets, yet get lucky once and you can drive without any more issues for the rest of your life... it's pure stupidity!

Could be worse tho, in China you get your licence without ever actually setting foot in a vehicle. 15 mins of grand turismo and your good to roll!

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Make the tests €300++

You'll damn well make sure you know what you're doing before applying for a test, and rather take a couple of lessons more than using the tests as lessons...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom