Operation flashpoint (Please read)

O

old.Upham

I might get Operation Flashpoint, so I need some details on the game first...

How much is the game?
When was the game released?
Is it worth buying?
Are their vehicles in the game?
Any good review/demo sites?
Any other usefull info?

Right lads, thanks for your help ;)

S

Speccy

1. download the demo. play it.
2. read some reviews.
3. go buy it.

sawted!

K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by Upham
How much is the game? Around £30 ??
When was the game released? Not long ago...
Is it worth buying? If you're into war sims - yes
Are their vehicles in the game? Yes
Any good review/demo sites? www.barrysworld.com
Any other usefull info? Don't stand still...

O

old.Upham

I'll get the demo tonight...

Doe's the game have lots of errors/bugs?

S

SoWat

oooh, loads of them!

They don't detract (mostly) from the superb single player experience, but here are some I've found:-

M113 is impossible to stop if you're going full pelt. I mean like impossible.

AI is pretty fair, especially when an enemy squad attacks you, but your own teammates seem to be comatose when riding in vehicles with you ("oh my, a soviet chappie...better not use my M50 on him...makes such a ghastly noise")

Steering of vehicles is sometimes erratic. The prog seems to get confused between key steering and mouse steering.

'Phantom' vehicles appear. The mission where you have to destroy enemy tanks by laying mines is a good example of this. Sometimes, after a restart, an enemy tank is sitting on the road. If you fire at it, you get a grade1 bollocking from some general.

Convoys get stuck up against buildings. Apparently reverse gear is not standard on american 5T trucks.

The retry/continue options do not seem to be consistent.

You're the fastest runner in your squad.

There are lots more little inconsistencies but, all of them combined, do not detract from what is a first class single player experience. The whole game is very atmospheric (who can fail to be impressed by the hostage rescue scenario...running uphill in a dense wood, pursued by spetznatz...gripping stuff).

I've no idea how the multiplayer aspect will pan out, but I would heartily recommend the game as is. The learning curve is quite steep initially, but well worth persevering with.

S

Stazbumpa

But there is no way on gods earth that an AK 74 can be that accurate at such long ranges.

S

SoWat

Bullet trajectories do seem to be flat, but maybe that's because most firefights take place at about 50-200 meters, I dunno. The AK74 doesn't seem to be any better/worse than the other guns. The sniper rifles do have a ranging function, though the manual is not very helpful about how to use it (horizontal hairs??).

The anti tank missiles do have a definite 'drop' in their flight path though (this is something you find out the hard way...when a T80 pops you after you miss it).

The soviet weaponry seems to have a lot more stopping power than the US stuff. One example is the airport mission, where you have to destroy the AA battery (shika?), along with assorted T80/72/BMPs. The LAW just bounces off the heavy tanks, but a soviet RPG (nicked off a fallen soldier), sees them off good style.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if the weapons don't act in a realistic manner, it's a game after all...now where's that fooking 'secret base'?

;)

S

Stazbumpa

I know its only a game but it is very annoying when your nice expensive M-16 misses and their crappy AK bullseyes you everytime.

I also hate it when they manage to shoot you whilst running at the same time.

Apart from that, good game, although I am having trouble controlling my squad now that I'm a Lt.

S

SoWat

Controlling the squad does take a bit of getting used to.

I usually leave them be, and let them follow me. It just takes too much time to put them all exactly where you want. The 'all' key is useful, as you can get them to change formation which is pretty much all you need to do to get them more or less in the right place.

The M16 does seem to take a few shots to down the enemy, unless you hit them in the head. I use the semi-automatic fire mode, the burst is just too innacurate (I grab an AK74 when I can , or a PK).

S

Stazbumpa

I find the sight on the AK74 is far too restrictive on your view.
The stopping power question is interesting as the AK74 uses a smaller bullet than the M16.
I find burst fire way too inaccurate as well.

I love the M60 though. The mission where you start with it is annoying coz you have to swap it almost immediatley for an M16 and a LAW.

I think I've got used to the tank fights, clobbered a T80 good and proper last night :)

S

SoWat

It's LAN only at the moment and I haven't tried it.

Internet multiplayer would be superb if played on the scale of the campaign.

O

old.Lee-ASG

multiplayer is available thru gamespy arcade and seems a bit hit and miss ( no pun intended) as to whether u get connected to the hosted comp.
Think firewalls like zonealarm r a definate no-no when using gsa to connect or host a game.
I've only managed to connect to a few games via gsa and they were only death match. Still how many games boast getting kills by running over snipers with a tractor :)

your right about squad command tho...let them pick their own targets. they're better at it than you

Havent got very far with campaign mode....just played 3 missions as LT. and reached the second covert ops mission but my fav so far has been the chase up thru the hillside forest with alongside the everon rebels......u almost feel like ya hearts gonna burst as ya get outta breath from crawling as fast as ya can up that hillside.........whoops almost forgot it was a game then.

S

SoWat

Still how many games boast getting kills by running over snipers with a tractor

Hehe. it seems you can do anything with almost all the objects in OPF.

My favourite 'death by automobile' episode is the one where you have to capture old wotsisface (the last but one). If you drive the jeep full pelt north, you come across a russian patrol walking in the middle of the road away from you...luverly juberly, they go down like nine-pins.

I wouldn't like to hit anyone, or thing, in the civilian cars theyhave. They look suspiciously like trabants ;)

D

Deady

Multiplayer is very buggy

If something happens to the server, usually the only way out is ctrl alt del.....you just get stuck at some screen, like "Wait for server"....or maybe a nice blank screen.

If i want to play Op flash multiplayer i usually have to reboot about 5 times, in win2k it likes locking memory (or something) so if i ctrl alt del out, i then blue screen about 5 minutes later with a message telling me "Process has locked pages".

Grr

O

old.ignus

Anyone else suffering from that annoying bug where once you've completed the mission instead of continuing you're taken back to the main screen and have to play the mission again.
This happened to me on both the evacuate from Everon missions, the lost in the woods level took three attempts before I could continue.

S

SoWat

, i then blue screen about 5 minutes later with a message telling me "Process has locked pages

I tried the multiplayer 'feature' and, sure enough, blue-screened exactly as described above.

O

old.V-f-u-b-a-r

Originally posted by ignus
Anyone else suffering from that annoying bug where once you've completed the mission instead of continuing you're taken back to the main screen and have to play the mission again.
This happened to me on both the evacuate from Everon missions, the lost in the woods level took three attempts before I could continue.

Yeah i've had that problem on almost every other mission, usually when i do em without any problem. I put it down to the spec of my pc makin it give up, i'm runnin it on a p2 350 with 256MB ram and a tnt2 ultra g/c. what r u runnin ignus?

O

old.ignus

I don't think it's anything to do with spec, its been a reported problem on the official website.
I'm still not too sure what my actual spec is at the mo as my sister's boyfriend upgraded it for me and I can't remember what it all is now, but he did tell me that apart from my graphics card my spec is about as up to date as it can't get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom