Open Transit

majik

Banned
All this crying about GoA and stating how incompetent they are reminds me of one my favourite words:

bandwagon-small.jpg

Seriously, if you don't like the service, go find another online game that doesn't have problems with lag.

gravedigger

Fledgling Freddie
hey tilda since im hearin of ur leettalk you know everythin from goa well you ask em 2 fix it than instead of criticise every guy who gives his own opinion on this thread ty

cous it seems that you r still thinkin that they only receive lunch money imo and on the matter of info of goa

they r very and i mean very rare with info cous if you cant even tell guys yes we r lookin into it and/or yes we know about it well , instead of givin polls they should atleast make a poll wich involves everyone in this game instead of /level command atm wich i (if i have tbh) dont give a shit about maybe a poll like what you want us 2 be better in future on like

1) better info for servers etc

2) achnolodge if they got probs on server

3) and what on fixxin buggs etc

if those 3 would be upgraded even 1% in total that would be a gr8 deal mean alrdy

majik

Banned
gravedigger said:
hey tilda since im hearin of ur leettalk you know everythin from goa well you ask em 2 fix it than instead of criticise every guy who gives his own opinion on this thread ty

cous it seems that you r still thinkin that they only receive lunch money imo and on the matter of info of goa

they r very and i mean very rare with info cous if you cant even tell guys yes we r lookin into it and/or yes we know about it well , instead of givin polls they should atleast make a poll wich involves everyone in this game instead of /level command atm wich i (if i have tbh) dont give a shit about maybe a poll like what you want us 2 be better in future on like

1) better info for servers etc

2) achnolodge if they got probs on server

3) and what on fixxin buggs etc

if those 3 would be upgraded even 1% in total that would be a gr8 deal mean alrdy

From GoA Homepage:

[4-05-2005] Network problems
Numerous internet providers are currently affected by network problems, and of course our own network suffer from this situation. Some of you are experiencing lag problems, which are not linked to the brief and unexpected servers shutdown on Tuesday afternoon. We are investigating the problems along with Opentransit to solve these irregularities, but don't hesitate to send us any tests you could do on the network (pingplots, traceroutes…).

Do u r want 2 learn 2 be reading n stuffz?

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Shall I pressume there are still problems then?

majik

Banned
Gear said:
Shall I pressume there are still problems then?

When the problem is fixed, they will say so on their homepage. So yes you can assume the problem is still there.

Arkian

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
if you ordered something from an online shop and it was slow to arrive you wouldnt be expected to go and find it for yourself, you would expect the retailer to deliver it or arrange an alternaive delivery. sure we can send in as many ping plots as we can, however it is not down to us to get it fixed, i pay my £24 a month (3 accounts) for a service which is delivered direct to my PC, if there is a problem, it is not my concern where or how it is occuring, all i care about is that it is fixed, fast. They know where the problem is, we know where the problem is, it is not getting fixed though.

Actually Raven, you don't pay for a service delivered to your PC - you pay for a service that you use the Internet to access on a remote computer. It's a very important distinction.

Tzan

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
The toilet in my flat broke last week. Its scheduled to be fixed this friday. Big companies take a while to sort stuff, have other things planned etc. Ok, so mabey goa said last week to OT "we're getting some lag" then on wednesday or thursday ot reply "ok send us more info" goa send the info thursday/friday, an it sits in an inbox over the weekend.
After this on monday someone looks at it and sees there acctually is a problem with paris router number 5 or whatever. Then pages a technicial who says " yeah sure, i'll fix it on wednesday or thursday"
then goa get an email back saying "yeah we'll look at it and try fix it on thursday if possible.
With my toilet, i had to go into the campus office every day to ask what was happening. imo it got fixed in a week because I was doing that. Im certain, from what i've heard from friends, that it would have taken longer otherwise.
Now, goa cant just walk into OT tech HQ and complain its gotta be done on the phone or via email, which isnt the most persuasive form of communication.
A person at your desk is far far harder or ignore.

Tilda:

So you compare GoA to the plumbing company? hmmm.. that's how Leirvik flooded...?
How can you bring such an example since only you and your friends use your toilet (no wonder why it broke) and compare the Shit Plumb Co. ,with the random guy working there, to a company that deals with thousands of customers throughout Europe?

Tilda said:
Now, goa cant just walk into OT tech HQ and complain:

to a company at their size they should and be able to.

Arkian

Fledgling Freddie
Also from experience with dealing with large ISPs/telcos, it's much harder to get things sorted out quickly than with the small operators.

gravedigger

Fledgling Freddie
majik said:
When the problem is fixed, they will say so on their homepage. So yes you can assume the problem is still there.

hmmm posted on 4th of may cool and ye i read it but no change? or am i wrong

oooh ok you quotin me well let me tell you this than did you ask any crs ingame with it if they alrdy tried fixxin the prob cous as far as i know nothin is

i asked yesterday and got same old reply its ur isp pc blablabla shit when i know it isnt and got the reply i got for over 2 weeks now ty

and ye i read it but you see any bug fixxes yet cous i didnt and believe me there r looooaaaadddss

majik

Banned
gravedigger said:
oooh ok you quotin me well let me tell you this than did you ask any crs ingame with it if they alrdy tried fixxin the prob cous as far as i know nothin is

i asked yesterday and got same old reply its ur isp pc blablabla shit when i know it isnt and got the reply i got for over 2 weeks now ty

and ye i read it but you see any bug fixxes yet cous i didnt and believe me they r looooaaaadddss

CSR's are not there to be harassed in game by the 1000-1500 people who want to know whats happening about the server lag, their job is completely different.

GoA keep in touch by their website, that is what the NEWS SECTION means, as they display any NEWS on that part. There is another obvious point which you have missed, if there is no news, nothing has changed so they are still investigating it. When they have any news about it they will contact people. For example like this:

With regards to the lag, OT have told us they are performing a major maintenance tomorrow which they are hopeful will fix the problem. There are also some fairly extensive plans for the future which are still being hammered out to help prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Which was posted on a different part of FH.

Perhaps you should broaden your research areas before you come onto a forum with the cocky attitude you have?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
gravedigger said:
hmmm posted on 4th of may cool and ye i read it but no change? or am i wrong

and ye i read it but you see any bug fixxes yet cous i didnt and believe me there r looooaaaadddss
I guarantee that no CSR you spoke to yesterday will have told you that the lag is due to your ISP or your PC.

rure

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
I guarantee that no CSR you spoke to yesterday will have told you that the lag is due to your ISP or your PC.

rure said:
Agreed, thinking they are doing jack shit when trying to fix this lag is stupid. But what GoA is do wrong is that they don't give out any information, or very vague info, about what they are doing to fix this. Hence, people don't think they working to solve this, which also leads to frustration among the customers. Keeping people insecure is prolly the worst thing they can do. Especially in such a deindividualized environment like this.

Quod erat demonstrandum

Config

Fledgling Freddie
You honestly dont think GOA wouldnt give a crap about these lag issues? Ofc they care cause if this lag keeps continue they will loose customers and thats not good for busines.

Sometimes, technical problems can take time to solve. Its not allways as simple as changing a light bowl but apearently a lot of people do believe that.

There can be vital stuff that can happen if you just pull a plug to some important node and downtime might be long to fix the issue so thats why it needs some planning to sort it.

Ofc this lag sucks bigtime for us players but hopefully it will be sorted soon.

I agree that when it comes to major issues that involves us all that GOA should update their news more often on their website about the progress to solve it.

IainC

The reason we are only giving vague info about the situation is that we don't have a lot of info ourselves to work with. All we can tell you is that we are passing on the info we recieve to OT and that their techs are working on it. It's not like a problem in our own network where we have detailed knowledge of the problem or estimates on likely timescales to fix it. We know what OT tell us which is that they are working on it.

As I said in another thread we have now been told that they are planning a big maintenance intervention tomorrow. As soon as we know what the ramifications of that will be - whether connection to the servers will be affected for example - we'll put news up on the official site. Until then, there's no point in making a meaningless official statement that may need to be changed anyway.

I and the other server GMs have spoken to hundreds of players ingame, we've responded to many queries about this in forum PMs and RightNow messages. We are telling you everything that we can.

Config

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
The reason we are only giving vague info about the situation is that we don't have a lot of info ourselves to work with. All we can tell you is that we are passing on the info we recieve to OT and that their techs are working on it. It's not like a problem in our own network where we have detailed knowledge of the problem or estimates on likely timescales to fix it. We know what OT tell us which is that they are working on it.

As I said in another thread we have now been told that they are planning a big maintenance intervention tomorrow. As soon as we know what the ramifications of that will be - whether connection to the servers will be affected for example - we'll put news up on the official site. Until then, there's no point in making a meaningless official statement that may need to be changed anyway.

I and the other server GMs have spoken to hundreds of players ingame, we've responded to many queries about this in forum PMs and RightNow messages. We are telling you everything that we can.

Still IMO would save you GMs time and spam after spam with the same questions about the lag if you did update news more often. Even if you dont know much more about it you should say that in the news. It will show people that you are working on it since you are actually putting out an update about it. The update dont have to be every hour or day but atleast in a span like every 2 days or so. I do consider a lag issue as it is atm quite important and by updating news more frequently would calm more people down.

But if you prefer tons of spam about it instead, it's up to you guys who works with it. :)

Still some people would have spammed you but im sure it would have been reduced and would give you less headache. :)

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
requiel, you should have posted that on the website for example.. i don't get why you always say you don't have a lot of info but the replies you make on these whine threads are usually exactely what people want to hear

just a simple, 'we don't have much info ourself but we're aware of the problem and doing x to sort it' would be really helpful. if all your communication with your customers is through replies on whinethreads then you're only encouraging people to make them

/shrug

told you this a few times before but seems to be no change :)

gravedigger

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

wel than talk with axin plz ty (or whats its name) guild pmed him loads of time

still got same reply if you dont believe me ask myg , and even if we report a bug still takes ages 2 fix also (like those boat crashes 2 name only one out of em all)

you told us you know about , we cant abuse it (wich i understand) but have you really done somethin 2 fix it so far ? and than you bannin peeps like montarloo etc cous of it well now that bit rash now is it?

fix the bug and they cant abuse it , its very easy tough (or supposed 2 be easy)

Tilda

If you read my post above, about the bugs and how they get fixed, you would understand.

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe he did mention the word ISP but you misunderstood and thought he meant YOUR ISP when it's goa's ISP, aka OT that's fooked up?

IainC

Vodkafairy said:
requiel, you should have posted that on the website for example.. i don't get why you always say you don't have a lot of info but the replies you make on these whine threads are usually exactely what people want to hear

just a simple, 'we don't have much info ourself but we're aware of the problem and doing x to sort it' would be really helpful. if all your communication with your customers is through replies on whinethreads then you're only encouraging people to make them

/shrug

told you this a few times before but seems to be no change :)
I know that, but a post on the official site is a very different thing to an informal comment by a GM on a forum. Posts on the official site need to be cleared and agreed by a fairly senior person at Goa, we have to be careful how we use it because there are a couple of traps that we can fall into:

1. We update you on everything. "We translated XXX lines of code today! We got word from Mythic that we should be getting new test binaries on Thursday and the network people are still waiting to hear back from OT." Then people will complain that the news is clogged up with stuff that they don't care about and important things will get lost amongst all the rest.

2: We make a post sayng what we think the situation is as soon as we hear it. A few hours later, we find the situation is different. We post saying that we were wrong earlier. People complain that we keep changing our story, people who read the first post but missed the second post get confused.

We were informed earlier today that OT thought they had isolated the problem and were planning a maintenance. We sat on that info officially because we were expecting more info regarding potential impact on our connection and a likely duration. As soon as we had all the info we could get we posted it.

We tend to use the official site only for important announcements where we are 100% sure of what we are saying. If there is a chance that more info will be forthcoming within a day or there is some doubt about the situation then we don't and shouldn't post it. However we as GMs have a bit more freedom on unofficial forums. We can (within limits) keep people aware of how situations are developing and we can explain things in more detail than is possible or desirable on the official site.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
i would say this lag issue is incredibly important, the game has been unplayable for the past days.. :(

we deserve some free days tbh :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i would quite happily pay double my subs fee if the game actually worked, i really dont care about free days

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
havnt bothered to log in past 2-3 days, its pointless. oh wait i tried 1hour ago.. i went ld with 2min. after a series of lag spikes.

illu

Part of the furniture
It'll be nice when this lag is fixed. Before I got bored of jotting the details down, I got a red Lag box at these times tonight in England, NTL my ISP, north London. It's fun when you are mid fight or trying to line up a Perforate Artery ^^
914pm
916x3
926x2
935x2
lots
1010x2
etc etc
1123x2

Seems very similar to the last time when DAOC had lag problems, hope it gets fixed soon.
Guild Wars and WoW are starting to tempt me :/
PS Where are all the DAOC boxes / games in the shops? We need new blood in the game, most players are simply people that make a new toon. It should be easier and more fun to level up characters and RvR beyond RR7 is simply a chore like the levelling up process beyond level 40.
Get more copies of the game in the shops!

Oli - Illu

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Is insane lag classed as unplayable days and due extra days handed out to us by GoA?

My usual evening...

Chat abit,
Lag alot,
Realise no point going out to do either PvE or RvR.
Lag alot,
Log off or forced to by a LD.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom