Open Servers Vs Core Servers

What type of Server will you play on release ?

• Core

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Open

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
With the announcement that there will be two types of server what type of server will you (and your guild be rolling on)

Core - As the game was first developed. Zones are split into PvE and RvR with the size of PvE areas shrinking as you go up the tiers.

Open - The game with no PvE zones.

Now this does not change the end game much as the Top tier zones only have apparently 10% PvE zone content (?) only realy to start to cap level experience (grind).

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
I think some form of safe area is a good idea.

I think DAOC had it NEARLY right, but imo there should have been SOME form of mechanism to allow enemies to break trhough the portal keeps into the homelands, no matter how hard it was, the option shoulda been there.

Imagine how many forces would have amassed to break through into the homelands. Even if it was in some form of cotnrolled event, such as a scourge of the plague making all the guards ill for 5 days, which meant that players themsevles would have to ensure that fort wasnt breached for that period (they could even have said that there was still enough fit guards to maintain patrol during the night (hehm u know what im getting at) but for sure, players would need to stand guards in the daylight hours for 6 days.

This kind of thing would have become epic. Even if the defences had fallen (im sure every player from level 1 - 50 would have helped), it wouldnt be catastropic as the guard garrison would have been back soon after.

This was the kind of fluff I felt DAOC missed out on, good ideas that could have made the game GREAT.

It isnt full out kiddie ganking, but its as near to free flowing WAR as possible. (i mean war in a realistic warfare between 3 sides ).

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Aye .. thinking Open will be full of the WoW kiddy brigade.

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
I like to have an alternative to PvPing hence Core for me. I love to go out an have some fun pvping but there are also times when I'd like to do something else.. ie PvE.

I'm rather sceptical about Open type servers.
*looks at WoW pvp server*
*shakes head*

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been having a think about WAR, ive already said id try see if any old Pryd guilds want to head for a 'certain' server come launch...be they friends or foes, but was thinking of (maybe) looking if there woul dbe any interest in a 'guild charter'.

Something that guilds on whatever server it turns out to be can sign up to (if they wanted to of course). Something along the lines of.....hmm ill use WOW as an example....

OK if it was WOW it maybe would say:

We will agree not to attack other Guilds outside Molten core.

(we all know that people doing this outside MC just led to guilds from all sides having huge delays in raids for example).

A charter could cover many things and would be no means something that would be forced onto people, if guilds didnt want to sign, thats fair enough. guilds that DID want to do somethign liek this could sign up....and (using the WOW example) if a guild met them at MC as they both tried to arrange raids....they could have an uneasy truce.

This would of course, need to be tailored to WAR, and in truth, might prove something totally unworkable, but if it was something that many old large Pryd guilds were interested in....could prove worth a thought. (as i say , wouldnt be a peace pact....but more a set of motions to make the WAR...a little bit more credible)

Who knows, might be daftest idea ever, but it has crossed my mind to look at something like this if many Pryd guilds head to same server.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
people always talk about how good open will be but given enough time it always just ends up people camping much lower people and chain killing them. From my experienes anyway. In daoc if there had ben a way into homelands im 99% sure a large majority of people who broke though would have ended up finding popular lowbie xp spots and killing the lowbies.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'm really not keen on having a massive number of rulesets, I think DAoC showed just how bad that ended up.

What I want is one true vision of how the game should be and for all servers to follow it. This is one thing I liked about DAoC when I heard about it, it had PvE seperate from RvR. I thought this was a great idea, however eventually Mythic decided to bastardise the entire concept with roleplaying servers, PvP servers, PvE servers, alternative ruleset servers.

Now they're already doing the same thing by doing 3 different server types on launch, and possibly even more for people who want to roleplay yet have some other ruleset added on as well. Trying to please different people with different ruleset servers is not the way to go.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
I'm really not keen on having a massive number of rulesets, I think DAoC showed just how bad that ended up.

What I want is one true vision of how the game should be and for all servers to follow it. This is one thing I liked about DAoC when I heard about it, it had PvE seperate from RvR. I thought this was a great idea, however eventually Mythic decided to bastardise the entire concept with roleplaying servers, PvP servers, PvE servers, alternative ruleset servers.

Now they're already doing the same thing by doing 3 different server types on launch, and possibly even more for people who want to roleplay yet have some other ruleset added on as well. Trying to please different people with different ruleset servers is not the way to go.

Agree tbh the more server types you have the harder it is to gague the popularity of each type over time. Whole guilds uprouting, when a key chunk of their base would rather play on another rule set.

As soon as a chunk of the pop moves its kinda like the flood gates open and the server balance can quickly come unstuck. The migrating people possibly haveing an effect on the realm balance on the servers they reroll on ( a large chunk of the servers Destruction players rerolling Destruction on another server with a balanced pop etc).

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
But different server types do offer you a choice, which you are free to make based on your own preferences, surely thats better than 1 hard rule, that might not be to your liking.

the thing about WOW was that there was no sense of Warfare between alliance and Horde, it was all just ganking. Hopefully they will get away from that and re instill the old realm vs realm feeling...that invoked so much pride back in the day of mass RVR and defending your Relics etc.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Core all the way, don't want to have to put up with Open "ruleset".

Roffe

Fledgling Freddie
voted Core.

I have a feeling that most ex DAoC'ers will roll on Core.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Aye .. thinking Open will be full of the WoW kiddy brigade.

u havent played on a WoW pvp sever have ya? :) ppl there are a hell of alot more polite and respectful there then the retards over at camlann ever were :)

so if anything you should be worried about the ppl that used to play on THAT server first, not the WoW ppl. sure theres idiots on WoW pvp servers to, but no way near as bad as on camlann.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
From the looks of it I'd prefer core. But I think I'll roll on both and see what suits me best. Which is probably core. But can't really say before the game is released. So I think I'll roll on both and see what suits me best. Which is probably core.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
I believe there will be different sorts of PvP depending on ruleset.

Core have a bit smaller RvR areas to fight on so it will be a bit more intense.

Open will have more small group fights (and some bigger) but also a lot more greifing. They most likely still leave the Chicken system in on both server types so you can't go down to a lower tier and grief.

The questions you should ask yourself is.

What type of RvR do i want at tier4?
What way do i plan to level up?
How much does greifing ruin my game experience?

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
Don't think about it to much though. The exact rules is not set so don't lock yourself towards 1 server type already. Wait until the final descriptions with more details is released.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Core

Dont like Vayasen's idea. If it's Red it's Dead in my book (unless they're grey con)

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Not sure yet.

Open:
Pros: Great for that first character where everyone is of roughly equal level.
Cons: The more the server matures the more gankage from higher levels every time you want a new alt.

Core:
Pros: Safe levelling with no risk unless you go looking for it
Cons: Safe levelling with no risk unless you go looking for it

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Core

Dont like Vayasen's idea. If it's Red it's Dead in my book (unless they're grey con)

Aye tis' fair comment. Was in no way saying was something that 'should be done', just one of those daft ideas that swims round my head when I ought to be concentrating at work :D

Still, I think there is a possibility there IF a load of old Pryds went on a server, something to bind a few guilds....friend and foes from 'sabotaging' raids (again the Blackroack mountain is a good idea from WOW), but then again maybe more people want that kinda thing ;]

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I like to have an alternative to PvPing hence Core for me. I love to go out an have some fun pvping but there are also times when I'd like to do something else.. ie PvE.

Agree with this much.

angrymoon

Fledgling Freddie
So, Core is DAoC concept, with the higher levels becoming a grind?
And Open is leveling via strictly PvP combat only?

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
open is trying to level via pve and getting ganked :)

Something like that, unless you have a lot of people don't think you will be able to do a PQ without getting whiped by enemy side while doing it.

I still want to go Open server as i think the RvR will be better for my play style when i reach T4.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Aye tis' fair comment. Was in no way saying was something that 'should be done', just one of those daft ideas that swims round my head when I ought to be concentrating at work :D

Still, I think there is a possibility there IF a load of old Pryds went on a server, something to bind a few guilds....friend and foes from 'sabotaging' raids (again the Blackroack mountain is a good idea from WOW), but then again maybe more people want that kinda thing ;]

I like your idea, but I find what the rules are, and what actually happens are 2 different things.

I use camlann as an example, this happened with the Hib zone allocated for pvp. (Drum Ligen, TNN, Mag Mell areas)

About 10 guilds all said they would not attack each other when groups were buffing. If you were in the town (or just outside regarding TNN) they were off limits. The good guilds all stuck to this, but the French (why is it almost always them?) decided to gank everyone regardless of where they were. We did explain to their group about everyone's rule, but they never listed.

Your idea is good, but new members, people with poor english, or complete cnuts will abuse this and say "oopsie I did no not".

Ormorof

FH is my second home
aye, i loved the seperation in daoc, and i hated the lack of it in WoW, dont mind dying, just frustrating when you've just spent 15 minutes walking somewhere only for some idiot with nothing better to do kill you over and over again thus stopping you from enjoying the game ;)

looking forward to trying out the core servers :)

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
There are times when I don't feel like PvP and just want to farm some gold or do some crafting (usually when I'm watching a film or something). Why disallow the option of having a safe area. I'll be core, more choice = better.

Also I imagine limiting the PvP area will make it easier to find a fight ;)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
u havent played on a WoW pvp sever have ya? :) ppl there are a hell of alot more polite and respectful there then the retards over at camlann ever were :)

so if anything you should be worried about the ppl that used to play on THAT server first, not the WoW ppl. sure theres idiots on WoW pvp servers to, but no way near as bad as on camlann.
I played on wow pvp lvl1-60 lost count how many times i got ganked, there where gank groups of lvl60's roaming around ganking and camping in lvl40ish zones. And some might say it was just to get other 60's there to have real pvp, but they mostly ran when a lvl60 alliance/horde group came along. But the best part was playing paladin
near the elite dragonkin in hinterlands. lvl60 group come, bubble up pull dragonkins attack the healer make him use spells, die, dragonkin gank the group.. :)

But grew tiresome getting ganked and camped everyday, tried again when lvl the same char to 70 but was same store campers and gankers.

Free pvp just spawns morons who think its fun griefing others.

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
Core for me. 2 years on pvp server in wow was enough for me, i like the way it was in DAoC, and core seems to be the closest to it.

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
Ill roll wherever my friends decide rolling, im in favour of the open server tho,
However im sure most of the people i know is rolling on Core, so ill probably end up there anyway, it isnt a huge deal to me anyways as im sure i have enough patience to level up on an open server (even if i take quite some ganking :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom