Only In Ireland...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0122/breaking16.html

Basically some gobshite in Kerry is proposing a "special pass" that allows country bumpkins to drink drive. Just to be clear, the guy proposing it is a chancer from a family of chancers who run local politics down in Kerry (which is depressing in itself), and a pub landlord to boot (LOL), but the guy actually got the council to pass a motion suggesting this shit. The government will never let it happen, but the mentality behind it is just mind-boggling. If you ever get a chance have a listen to any member of the Healy-Rae family; if you can get past the accent, the sheer cheek and sense of entitlement is breathtaking.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Seems fair to me, just restrict the car to 10mph and put the hazards on, they should allow everyone to drive home like that.

Poag

m00?
Don't be a retard for retards sake, Job.
Never-Go-Full-Retard.jpg

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I saw this on tv this morning, I didnt think it sounded that bad :p but the feller proposing it looked a right state and a bit drunk anyway, he wern't exactly selling the idea :)

DaGaffer

I saw this on tv this morning, I didnt think it sounded that bad :p but the feller proposing it looked a right state and a bit drunk anyway, he wern't exactly selling the idea :)

That's just his accent.

rynnor

Rockhound
throdgrain said:
He was touting the problem of Excessive Irish Lonliness :)

The pass would only take you up to the legal limit in the UK you realise?

DaGaffer

The pass would only take you up to the legal limit in the UK you realise?

It doesn't matter. If you were the council or the Garda, and you issued one of these passes, and the slightly inebriated yokel subsequently wipes out a busload of American tourists; you're going to find yourself on the end of the world's most impressive lawsuit. Its a fucking stupid idea.

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Wasn't that in Cork when an independent was joining the government in return for loads of roads in his district?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
After a think about it, i don't see a problem with raising the legal limit in rural areas by a fraction.

Zoned legal limit is not a bad idea anyway, zero tolerance near schools, higher in deep dark forests of evildeathpool.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I actually think it should be zero tolerance on alcohol. Zero drink if you are going to drive.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I actually think it should be zero tolerance on alcohol. Zero drink if you are going to drive.

Bollocks to that.

For a start - your reactions go up after the first pint. Secondly - it would prohibit me doing what I did last night - which was pick up a mate who I'd not seen in ages, drive to a good pub with real ales, have two halfs of different milds and then drive him home.

Perfectly safely.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I always have two pints when I go out on the bike, over a few hours, and leave the last 20% of the last pint. Dunno why, but I always do that :)

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Let me sum up Irish rural politics

Haha :D

Gotta say, I quite like the Irish accent, especially from a cute girl :p sometimes struggle to follow what is being said though, but that seems to vary, much like with the Scots, Edinburgh accent I'm fine with, Glasgow on the other hand...

Punishment

Resident Freddy

Unworkable, the drink drive laws are there not because people can't drive after two pints it's for the idiots with no self control. I often drive after a pint or sometimes 2 if spaced out after a couple of hours. Laws are like guidelines for dummies and if people were sensible wouldn't be needed, look at the UK implementation of speed limits years ago.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I actually agree with Raven as a rule of personal choice I must add. I have become somewhat milder in recent times, but there used to be a time where I'd simply choose to not drive after having a drink.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Zero tolerance is a bit silly for various reasons:

Alchohol is present in a lot of mouthwashes
Have a sip of wine for taste
etc.

A low limit is fine, a zero limit will occasionally result in people who haven't been drinking to bring up positive results, we don't want that.

rynnor

Rockhound
Tbh alcohol is only one of many things that can cause accidents - young drivers having other young people in the car, people driving after consuming drugs - illegal legal or medicinal, loud car stereos, disruptive children, sat navs, tiredness, illness, poor eyesight, stupidity etc. etc.

Many of these are legal and not regarded as immoral yet kill lots of people - go figure.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
oh my god, my personal freedom, theyre making me wear a seatbelt

sound familiar ? :p

just cos u cant make it 100% safe doesnt mean that you shouldnt bother with increments

as to blood level, isnt one of the skandawegian countries using an "almost zero" policy that is about 10% of our limit ?

Zenith

Part of the furniture
The sad truth is that what goes in Scandinavian countries is almost always right :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
Law suites make this a non starter as has been said. The government have said that drinking impairs your ability to drive. So if they let you drive drunk hence with less ability if someone is killed by a drive that's now legal there will be compensation claims coming from every angle.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
just cos u cant make it 100% safe doesnt mean that you shouldnt bother with increments

I have to say I agree with Throddy.

Just because there is more you can do doesn't mean that it should always be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom