Online gamer in China wins virtual theft suit

H

harleydave

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- A Chinese court has ordered an online video game company to return hard-won virtual property, including a make-believe stockpile of bio-chemical weapons, to a player whose game account was looted by a hacker.

Li Hongchen, 24, had spent two years, and 10,000 yuan ($1,210) on pay-as-you-go cards to play, amassing weapons and victories in the popular online computer game Hongyue, or Red Moon, before his "weapons" were stolen in February, the Xinhua news agency said on Friday.

Li asked the company, Beijing Arctic Ice Technology Development Co Ltd, to identify the player who stole his virtual property, but it declined, saying it could not give out a player's private details, it said.

Police also gave Li no satisfaction, so he took his case to court, demanding 10,000 yuan in compensation, Xinhua said.

"I exchanged the equipment with my labor, time, wisdom and money, and of course they are my belongings," it quoted him as saying of the virtual property he collected online.

The company argued that the value of the virtual property only existed in the game and was "just piles of data to our operating companies."

In the end, Beijing's Chaoyang District People's Court ruled on Thursday that the firm should restore the player's lost items, finding the company liable because of loopholes in the server programs that made it easy for hackers to break in.

China's online gaming industry has boomed in recent years. Analysts say it is conservatively forecast to be worth about two billion yuan this year, and is growing more than 100 percent a year.

Disputes over virtual properties have also soared, Xinhua said.

Taken from Cnn.com link :http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/12/19/china.gamer.reut/

Do you think a case like this could become a precedent? Would this be of any help to cases of hacking that happened in Daoc where people lost all their items and characters?

F

Falcon

You can already contact the Police in the UK if you get hacked and they'll treat it like a proper investigation. The Police will contact the company hosting the game you were hacked on and they will need to provide details of the IP addresses that accessed the account. Some companies will even e-mail you urging you to do so providing details to give to the police for the police to follow up the incident - I know Origin do this for Ultima Online and have heard various other MMOGs too.

The problem is, most people feel stupid going to the police about having virtual property stolen, can't blame them really, I would :p

P

Pixie.Pebr

Would kr0n hacking Brannor's account and moving his toon around then be "virtual kidnapping" and an offense that could get him in jail? ^^

S

shamyn

I think most MMORPGS include it in their COC, that the characters and items belong to the company, not to the player and therefore selling them for RL money is not allowed. So that would kinda void any claim for 'hacked' items.

K

Krakatau

Originally posted by Pixie.Pebr
Would kr0n hacking Brannor's account and moving his toon around then be "virtual kidnapping" and an offense that could get him in jail? ^^

Don't you ever kill a mob or a player in-game from now on...
Lousy "virtual killers" :p

F

Flimgoblin

there's a difference in this case to the usual hacking though - it's often the person's own machine or email account that gets hacked... or they just happen to be giving out their passwords.

That said if someone did get ripped off by someone hacking the GOA servers then I'd expect them to do something about it :)

O

old.Revz

Originally posted by shamyn
I think most MMORPGS include it in their COC, that the characters and items belong to the company, not to the player and therefore selling them for RL money is not allowed. So that would kinda void any claim for 'hacked' items.

They can state whatever they like in the CoC but it is up to the courts to decide what is legally enforceable, you can't sign away certain rights no matter what companies like to make you think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom