One thing definately in WAR...

rynnor

Rockhound
is Bad Pathing :)

I saw a vid from one of the exhibitions that showed a guy pulling a mob from fairly close that went in 3 different directions before it got to him - it started by going off at right angles to him - ahh nostalgia - just like in daoc :)

Will have to try to remember that spot - such bad pathing plus ranged damage = easy xp :p

Some may argue this will change before retail but over many years Mythic never really fixed it in Daoc so I wouldnt hold your breath...

Edit - hmm - maybe I wont make a pet class :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
When I tried it at the gameshow, there was no such thing as bad pathing. How old is this vid you're talking about?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Without seeing the vid your talking about, perhaps it's AI?

Seen it before in games where you hit a mob and they look around for you for a few seconds before they spot you and head your way.

rynnor

Rockhound
The games not done yet...

Never said it was but Mythic have an awfull track record on fixing this stuff - you can still fall through the world if you walk in the wrong spot in Camelot and thats been there since beta...

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
The pathing super computer from Mythic comes to my mind to fix it for all non Bainshee players not doing over a million RPs in the Labyrinth - the video is from April 2007 though, old stuff.

rynnor

Rockhound
The pathing super computer from Mythic comes to my mind to fix it for all non Bainshee players not doing over a million RPs in the Labyrinth - the video is from April 2007 though, old stuff.

I'll see if I can find it in a more recent vid.

On the subject of old things from Daoc try this (extremely boring) vid from August - some german games day - at about 3:30 in he finally wanders into some rvr and if you watch closely he targets the lag ghost of an orc that turns out to be out of LOS (behind a boulder some way off) but the spell still hits - cracking :)

Theres also a bit a little further on where he finds a group of orcs - begins casting - and an orc magically appears by his side :)

YouTube - Warhammer Online Gameplay - Bright Wizard
[youtubevid]j-PzVL73eSU[/youtubevid]

I warn you - this vid needs serious editing down :p

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Such a fast paced point to target game. I am sure all 5 year olds that aren't playing WoW by now will be old and fast enough to play Warhammer when it gets released.

:cheers:

Give an indirect target system!

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Such a fast paced point to target game. I am sure all 5 year olds that aren't playing WoW by now will be old and fast enough to play Warhammer when it gets released.

:cheers:

Give an indirect target system!

mouse targeting forever!

OT:Jesus,what the hell is player on the video doing :p

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
That was a Dwarf Hammerer that popped besides him. The same Dwarf Hammerer he litterally bumped into earlier, because of CD.

rynnor

Rockhound
That was a Dwarf Hammerer that popped besides him. The same Dwarf Hammerer he litterally bumped into earlier, because of CD.

No - look at 2mins 50 seconds - what is clearly an orc lags accross in front of him - he targets it and starts casting and hits the orc who is actually behind the boulder to his right.

Theres a lot of examples of lag in this video.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Yes there is. That lag looks pretty bad. If the "almost open beta" shows something similair, my first char will be a caster for sure!

rynnor

Rockhound
Yes there is. That lag looks pretty bad. If the "almost open beta" shows something similair, my first char will be a caster for sure!

Yes - reminds me of very early daoc relic raids on my spiritmaster - I'd just move up with the group and cycle thru targets and hit cast - very easy :)

Did I say I'm going Bright wizard :p

The lag is a bit concerning - Mythic might argue it wasnt running on a proper server and wasnt optimised code - on the other hand I'd be surprised if all the PC's used in the roadshow werent pretty top notch - I mean the whole idea is to make a good impression right?

Another big bad point is that this was very small scale rvr - whats it going to be like with ten times that number...

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
The lag is a bit concerning - Mythic might argue it wasnt running on a proper server and wasnt optimised code - on the other hand I'd be surprised if all the PC's used in the roadshow werent pretty top notch - I mean the whole idea is to make a good impression right?

The PCs were pretty chunky (for conventions our normal machines are Core 2 Duos with 8800GTS video cards and 2GB of RAM), however in early beta almost nothing is optimised so everything is choppy and laggy as both the server and the client are having to work much harder than they should be.

If you go through Paul's Video Diaries, you'll find one from last summer where he talks a little about this - the team responsible for optimising cut the requirements by 40% in one month. If that sort of improvement is possible, it should give you some idea of how overweight beta code is normally.

rynnor

Rockhound
If you go through Paul's Video Diaries, you'll find one from last summer where he talks a little about this - the team responsible for optimising cut the requirements by 40% in one month. If that sort of improvement is possible, it should give you some idea of how overweight beta code is normally.

Fair enough - its the kind of thing that wont really come out until retail really but it was interesting that the mechanism from daoc where a spell should fail if line of sight wasnt maintained throughout is absent in WAR.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Fair enough - its the kind of thing that wont really come out until retail really but it was interesting that the mechanism from daoc where a spell should fail if line of sight wasnt maintained throughout is absent in WAR.

Yes, that mechanic is "interesting" to be called at least.

Because it would seem silly if someone takes a peek behind a corner, the casters all start casting, the peeker goes back behind his corner and gets nuked.

On the other hand: Mythic and LoS issues...gawd, a bit of ground that stands a bit above the rest could ruin your LoS! So there could be scenarios where you think you're going to nuke that raged Orc coming at you, but no, he stood behind a mole-heap! Your LoS is gone and you'll have to recast.

So...anyone knows if this is fixed? In a balanced way?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
EA is using the Gamebryo engine for Warhammer that has also been used for DAoC.

Unless some of the weaknesses of that engine have been sorted out in the meanwhile, one can expect same or similar technical problems as with DAoC.

Now, I assume that Mythic used a Gamebryo license with source code for DAoC, but I doubt that they made much use of custom modifications, broken LoS, broken collision detection, lag ghosting and so on have been in the game for years. Most annoying thing for me was bad map design with the engine, lagging Camelot City with almost no peeps in it on very good computers :/.

EA is a way bigger player though, they have the man power to change a complex engine to their needs and they have the power to ask for changes from Emergent, so I don't expect many problems when Warhammer gets released. DAoC's technical problems in Warhammer would be grossly negligent, doubt there will be any.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
The PCs were pretty chunky (for conventions our normal machines are Core 2 Duos with 8800GTS video cards and 2GB of RAM), however in early beta almost nothing is optimised so everything is choppy and laggy as both the server and the client are having to work much harder than they should be.

It can't be more overweight than 3-5k simultaneous players on a live server with long distance connections instead of 32-64-128 people getting in lines at a GoA booth with a local area network, or?

Even with plenty debug code, assertions and excessive logging I'd rather expect a technical problem that needs fixing than lightening code.

I played at the GC 2007, everything was fluent, game lacked some anti-aliasing but that's about it.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
It can't be more overweight than 3-5k simultaneous players on a live server with long distance connections instead of 32-64-128 people getting in lines at a GoA booth with a local area network, or?

We don't take a server with us to conventions. The current beta server is in Paris and isn't as strong as a live server or a late beta server will be.

rynnor

Rockhound
Unless some of the weaknesses of that engine have been sorted out in the meanwhile, one can expect same or similar technical problems as with DAoC.

This particular bug was fixed a long time ago in daoc tho - its interesting that they might have to re-apply a load of daoc fixes to the basic game engine.

It may seem a minor bug but being able to cast at peoples lag ghosts while they are out of LOS can make a big difference to fights at keeps etc.

You group up a bunch of casters - as soon as a defender or attacker lags into view all target and start casting - boom - player dies without ever seeing his opponent - nasty...

On second thoughts can you leave it in for 6 months so I can max my Bright wizard out? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom