Old times, forum "fix", problems and the sort from the Al Q thread.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Let's take it into this thread! Yei! Bestest times.

Now only if some mod had too much free time to move it all... :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
welcome to the logical actions department. :p

Well..you might think that...but i bet i'll do something stupid to throw my only logical action into the bin really soon.

*looks at clock*

*whistles*

Wait for it...

Australian_Delux_Emu_Oil_Cream_With_Vitamin_E.jpg
Woo! Emu oil cream!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
It doesn't say WHAT Part of a emu the cream comes from... *Shudder* Emu love juices..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ok ok...enough ot'ing the ot fix ot thread *head explodes*

Here's the rant thingy from the other thread to get the discussion going...better..ish.

Actually bugz, those are valid points but also not the main reasons.

The lack of good humor(thought up, time used to make 'em) makes the gay jokes less fun. They used to be filler jokes, always been around. But since noone takes the effort of posting good fun anymore(yes i know i'm lacking in that department too), it SEEMS that the gay jokes are an eplethera.

The "lack of intellectual convos" is also a valid point, but this can also be explained by the current "feel" around here. It's a fast paced, linkdump and lol mentality that's taking over the internet. Noone reads a wall of text anymore, they don't care for it, it needs to be faster to peek at when working.

The really big reasons for OT going "down" a notch, is the lack of old school members that knew how to keep the mental patients(like me, OD, Roo etc) in check and posted the reasonable things. They also knew not to take things too seriously, which is a rather biggie these days. The other reason being what i said before, this place being faster and more of a linkdump. It's the common trend around and quite like the 70's, the old days are hard to go back to.

As a whole, the reason off-topic has went down(not from the old days, but from say...half a year ago) is many in reason, and only YOU can prevent forest fires. Start more serious conversations, keep at it. I myself should go back in writing my looney threads that EVERYONE knows shouldn't be taken as the serious discussion threads. We need to bring back the days when "church" and "state" were separated and the looney and suitman walked hand in hand on that borderline doomsday line.

*looks up* Wow...rant-tastic...

EDIT: Also Congaxs' post below brought up another thing that i've noticed, these days it's osmehow wrong not to be the forum persona you are. Gamah has always been an attention whore and it was FINE. Nowadays it's like...umm..well...it's like complaining that i'm looney.

Quoted myself...feels dirty...*hihi*

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Ok ok...enough ot'ing the ot fix ot thread *head explodes*

Here's the rant thingy from the other thread to get the discussion going...better..ish.

Quoted myself...feels dirty...*hihi*

the guy above me is definately a n00b dogg.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I agree to an extent Seel but then again, the bullying in the past (yes, I browsed off-topic etc. a lot before I posted in it - as a lowly 13-14 y/o xD) was pretty much non-existant but more care-free playing by the likes of people (sort of like how you and vlad are now - there's no element of bullying - just care-free shit-talk :D). Unfortunately, now-a-days, you can't say shit before someone steps onto the bandwagon and flames you or whatever.

Second problem is sheep - sorry to say but a lot of fuckin people are sheep. I'll use myself as the example in this situation. One clueless person seemed to use the fact I mentioned my 'gf' and the word 'sex' in a sex-thread started by another person as me 'bragging about my sex-life and having a gf.' At the time, i thought nothing of it & neither did anyone else. However, as that same clueless person (I won't say names) decided to bring it up over and over again, other person started to become sheep.

Now-a-days, you can't really give your opinion without being sheeped to buggery and back. Furthermore, people get personal and feel that the computer screen protection scenario is a reason for being a complete dickhead. Ofcourse, this is to be expected over time, but from people who consider themselves grown adults (i.e. - alot of the browsers of this forum) are really complete twats.

Personally, i've grown to dislike the forum mainly due to the aspect of bullying, sheeping and lack of discussion threads. I certainly know that if we got rid of a key few people - the forum in general would be a nicer place as people won't be scared of giving extremeist views or having arguements that won't lead to everyone sheeping the fuck out of someone.

My view anyway.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the forum in general would be a nicer place as people won't be scared of giving extremeist views or having arguements that won't lead to everyone sheeping the fuck out of someone.

My view anyway.

if your scared to give views you shouldnt be communicating with anyone at all, in any form imo.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
if your scared to give views you shouldnt be communicating with anyone at all, in any form imo.

How did you come to that?

If a kid is bullied at school, he will find it hard to communicate and give his views due to being laughed at etc. The internet is very much the same.

I personally have no trouble giving my views - since I enjoy constructive discussions/arguements. Unfortunately, some of us (I'll use Gamah as an example in the most recent AlQ thread as i can't remember any others) make silly comments and ruin them =/

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
because talking is all about giving your views and hearing someone elses.

if your scared to do that then effectively there is no point in talking to people.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
because talking is all about giving your views and hearing someone elses.

if your scared to do that then effectively there is no point in talking to people.

But other's don't hear other people's - they make stupid comments etc.

I.e: I tried to put across my thoughts on the other thread and was branded a 'attention seeker' by a silly passer-by (lub to sleez for actually sticking up for me - I would've hoped that others such as seel etc. would have atleast been nice enough to mention that i wasn't attention seeking but shit happens)

Scenarions like this make people think, why the fuck should I put across my view when others do not listen to it properly but instead make silly and annoying comments about it. And even more so when other's do not defend you in such a situation. The forum is too 'every man for his own,' with a few exceptions.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bugz i didn't stand up to you 'cause i didn't think there was anything to stand up for(seels don't stand up well anyway).

You had it covered, i continued the discussion.

As i shall now do also. *nods*

The bullies, are always there. You just have to learn to deal with 'em in that forum manner way. In here? Flame the f*ck out of 'em and win the battle. Much like standing up to a real bully; Take it and they come back, stick it up their arse and you gain respect.

The sheep, well, those are fun animals! Anyhoop, it's just noticing some querk on something and agreeing and joining the fun really. Sure, mindless sheep are dumb and boring animals, but there's not enough here to ruin things.

Like i said, intellectual discussions are the responsibility of the people wanting intellectual discussions. As is with the level of humor. You don't get sh*t by whining, you get it by doing something about it.

"Wah wah the forum is broken and has no content!" <--(not bugz), is an easy way to say, but doing something about it is a different matter. Like said, stick with them and the "one lining scum"(which by the way have the same right to live as the intellectuals and looneytunes) will be there too, but with more looney threads and one liner threads, they tend to stick to their bins.

Hopefully i'm making any sense, which hurts my head, as i'm usually not known for my long rants(well this kind of rants!), but sometimes the old cookie crumbles and posts something wisdomful'ish that makes all go "What? Seel got brain? WHEN and why wasn't i informed?!" *nuclear alarm*

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Hmm, i said i supported the BNP in the last election in one of the posts about Elections. I was then attacked by about 5-6 different people for my views... Is that bullying?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Hmm, i said i supported the BNP in the last election in one of the posts about Elections. I was then attacked by about 5-6 different people for my views... Is that bullying?
Depends if you bothered to post why you supported them or just did it to get a responce :p if its the case of the latter then the responce was in line with your original statement.
Also if the "attacks" were simply flames or there was a argument hidden in there somewhere which a large proportion of people here seem to deem the necessary way of putting a point across (to be fair this includes some of the ones wanting "intelligent" discussions).
Why you would vote according to a single policy (or a couple of policies), ignoring all the ones that will essentially put us back 100 years is beyond me tbh but feel free to make another thread to discuss it before seel hits us over the head with his mallet and drops us into the canadian deep blue to turn into ice pop's for fish

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I just shit on a grave, does that make me a bad boy?

*Curse your double dares Mr Kipling*

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I just shit on a grave, does that make me a bad boy?

*Curse your double dares Mr Kipling*

Well, that depends actually.

To the people with the cemetary((like christians(and other church peeps) and cemeteries, indians and their burial grounds, vikings and their grave thingies)) you'd be a bad boy, but if you're an atheist, it's as bad as sh*tting in the woods really.

I don't think you can be trialed by the laws of one god if that god ain't your god. Unless that particular god does the judging and smithing and stuff.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
This is actually a very interesting discussion, and there are many aspects to consider, when asking of people to go back to the way it was in the old days.

One thing is, why is it like it is today?
The obvious answer could be that, it is how people want it to be, if not it would work in a different way.
Could also be that the people who post the most, are the people deciding as they make most of the content of the forum.

Then there is a very essential question, why do people log on here?

Back in the days, I enjoyed interacting with my guild mates and having a laugh over some of Seel's posts like 40 K story and the funny stuff he wrote all the way back in the Barry's days, which, in my opinion, was the golden days of teh Seel :p
Then there are some people, who log on because they're bored. Some people log on because they want to have a discussion.
Some people log on, because they want to harvest "Reps" and some other people maybe to write bullshit. And some even to write gay-jokes about each other.

Seeing as people have different reasons to log on, people will have different ideas of the ideal forum, and there has always been a discussion about how the forum is not what it used to be and it isen't. It keeps on evolving and this is because of the people on the forum, but you can't just stop a forum evolving, just because you thought it was better at another point, unless of course the general masses agree with you. The times change, the forum changes and even more importantly the users change!

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie

Not on a discussion forum no. If they follow you into other, unrelated topics and bring it up again without you first mentioning it, it could be considered bullying.

You are dense though. BNP? srsly? :p

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Not on a discussion forum no. If they follow you into other, unrelated topics and bring it up again without you first mentioning it, it could be considered bullying.

You are dense though. BNP? srsly? :p

I find it offensive that people support Labour/Conservative, even though neither party has this countries best interests at heart :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I find it offensive that people support Labour/Conservative, even though neither party has this countries best interests at heart :p
Why? you want your view respected yet you aren't willing to do the same, i am beginning to see why you got flamed in the first place ;)
Personally i look at it as supporting the lesser of two evil's, as Lib Dem have no clue, labour went powermad under king blair and concervative have the strangest ideas concerning hoodies.
I agree with the BNP immigration laws to the extent of give jobs to the residents before asking for help from abroad even tho the idea put forward by the BNP is ill-thoughout and short term (much like most of the BNP policies) before you see lasting damage done to the economy due to a large skills gap between the UK and the likes of America, China, Japan, India etc etc...
But as i said if you want to discuss it make a new topic ;)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Why? you want your view respected yet you aren't willing to do the same, i am beginning to see why you got flamed in the first place ;)
Personally i look at it as supporting the lesser of two evil's, as Lib Dem have no clue, labour went powermad under king blair and concervative have the strangest ideas concerning hoodies.
I agree with the BNP immigration laws to the extent of give jobs to the residents before asking for help from abroad even tho the idea put forward by the BNP is ill-thoughout and short term (much like most of the BNP policies) before you see lasting damage done to the economy due to a large skills gap between the UK and the likes of America, China, Japan, India etc etc...
But as i said if you want to discuss it make a new topic ;)

Ah, i said I found it offensie but yet I will listen to peoples views about why they vote for those parties :)

I wont take one side of an argument and blatently tell people to die irl etcetc, much like Extremist religeous groups

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Thad make another thread about the BNP and see if we cant set you straight! :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom