old returning player - whats it like?

Eternalist

Regular Freddie
DAoC!

I haven't played this game for over 5 years, I think I finally left in 2005 sometime but after 6 years of playing what can only be described as crap hoping for the next decent pvp MMO, it hasnt happened. So I'm giving good old DAoC and the 3 realms another try (still cant believe no other mmo has done 3 realms!)

Now my biggest concern after playing a countless amount of crap games is how m I going to fair against the people who have been playing all this time? As a casual player this has been my main downfall in recent pvp orientated enviroments as I just cba to put the time in to grind all the gear needed to compete. TBH I really cant remember much about the game other than I used to play it untill silly hours in the morning and the RvR was awesome. Will I just lvl up to 50 and get owned by everyone left right and center or will there still be lots of fun for me to have in this game?

Cheers :)

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Getting 50 and templated now is insanely fast and easy.. the only difference is RR / class / skill... roll with the realm zerg for a few weeks and you will get decent RR and have a lot of fun :p

DeSlisser

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Eternalist. Came back myself not so long ago. Also hadn't played for like 7 years or so. Leveling thru BGs is real fast. No bb needed. You could do /xp off at level 49.5 in BG Cathal Valley to get some rvr experience back brfore hitting 50. Normally quite active there. Level 49.5 is level cap for CV.

Healer, Skald, Dps (zerker, RM) are often sought after.

Making a template for ur CV char is recommended to easier find serious rvr groups. Its also a nice exercise in making templates again. CV templates are relatively easy and can b made with just Bounty Point items from frontier keep bp item merchant, artifacts and some crafted pieces. If u find a nice guild they are sure to help you out.

Have fun.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Easy to get started again (especially now that pictish camps are available) farm pictish camps, can get 35-52g per weapon and they have a 100% drop chance per mob... clear 1 camp can net you roughly 800g-1.2p and you can clear 1 camp in less than 5 minutes with a decent dps + buffbot.

Using my 14 days free atm and have been farming pictish on mid for a few hours this morning, 2 hours has gotten me 25p so far not bad considering i'm just watching anime on my laptop while I play.

Eternalist

Regular Freddie
I just logged in for a quick 10 mins last night to see how much I remembered, at first it was a bit confusing but it soon came flooding back :D

whats the situation like in rvr atm? I've always enjoyed playing the underdog and back on excal I was a 100% alb (merry men woohoo!) so I'm used to taking a beating lol. Also like playing support chars so will most likely roll some kind of healer/support role. I've always liked the idea of being a mid but they were a bit faceroll back when I played so I stuck with alb

are any of the realms doing better than others?

Eternalist

Regular Freddie
Also loving the community so far, I'm glad I made the decission to come back after all this time :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Easy to get started again (especially now that pictish camps are available) farm pictish camps, can get 35-52g per weapon and they have a 100% drop chance per mob... clear 1 camp can net you roughly 800g-1.2p and you can clear 1 camp in less than 5 minutes with a decent dps + buffbot.

Using my 14 days free atm and have been farming pictish on mid for a few hours this morning, 2 hours has gotten me 25p so far not bad considering i'm just watching anime on my laptop while I play.
Where are these mobs? (allakhazam is down)

Everz

FH is my second home
Pictish camps as in the green mobs that used to be in HW in OF?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
the pictish camps are scattered around realms :p the mid ones are in West Skona (just as you get off the horse run backwards a little bit, those items sell for 35g a pop) and the level 50 camp which is at the entrance to malmo (those ones sell for 52g a pop) the 35g camp is more efficient tho as its alot quicker to kill stuff. There are lower level camps aswell (not quite sure starting from what level) but the items they drop are SUPERIOR in every way to crafted gear for bg's.

This is one that drops at the Skona Camp, the level 50 version has 16.5 dps 35% bonus / bonus level 45 / 4% spell damage 4% cast speed 6 dex cap 6 acu cap and the same procs but slightly higher stats.

There are jewels etc aswell with 350 delve ablative /uses on and shit :p can use them once every 10 minutes and has infinite charges.

pict.jpg

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
All pict camp locs

Albion
Hibernia
Midgard

DeSlisser

Fledgling Freddie
I can only speak for albion/midgard, but capitals are plenty busy with people including active crafters. CV is busy enough.

Himse

FH is my second home
Honestly, I don't find it that fun.

Been playing a rr11 Bainshee for a bit now, and it's just people who are running to the dock, or massive zergs of 3fg+ taking keeps and all afk stuck. If we do get a GVG fight, we get added on constantly or eventually just zerged down mid kite.

Even @ Island, we've been added by zergers.

There's no group action, small mans, soloers (that aren't stealthers or speed 6 classes) or anything, it's all a bit dumbed down.

I'm sure if I looked deep enough, i'd find some soloing and whatever, but it seems dead to me.

Shards are pretty sucky, but at least I can log on and get some semi-ok action for 30 mins if im bored, not run to other realms homeland, get zerged, rinse repeat.

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH
Honestly, I don't find it that fun.

Been playing a rr11 Bainshee for a bit now, and it's just people who are running to the dock, or massive zergs of 3fg+ taking keeps and all afk stuck. If we do get a GVG fight, we get added on constantly or eventually just zerged down mid kite.

Even @ Island, we've been added by zergers.

There's no group action, small mans, soloers (that aren't stealthers or speed 6 classes) or anything, it's all a bit dumbed down.

I'm sure if I looked deep enough, i'd find some soloing and whatever, but it seems dead to me.

Shards are pretty sucky, but at least I can log on and get some semi-ok action for 30 mins if im bored, not run to other realms homeland, get zerged, rinse repeat.
There are plenty of smallman action.. and with a decent fg u still easy farm over 100k rps! and even CV is funny in those days :)

Adari

Part of the furniture
What is CV again? :p

I'd like to resub my nightshade and roam about for old times sake

Himse

FH is my second home
There are plenty of smallman action.. and with a decent fg u still easy farm over 100k rps! and even CV is funny in those days :)

We've been running around at all times, EU mornings, EU afternoon, EU primetime, and just nobody upon nobody is out :(

I'd like to have small man action, was gonna roll sorc/minstrel with a friend perhaps and just duo, but I'm not sure if i can face being zerged 24/7!

What's mid like? Tempted to reup the healer for a month and just see what's kicking!

DeSlisser

Fledgling Freddie
Himse, wierd. With regards to CV I've seen (thru eyes of a returning player) plenty of action. Not all to the liking of the one on the receiving end i can imagine, i've seen and/or be part of
- 8mans (up against plenty of other 8 mans during EU primetime) with comms (e.g. vent)
- small man teams (in off-hours)
- stealth camps at milegates or x-roads to add on to fights (curse you NS's ;p)
- stealth groups annoyingly camped at other realms quest xp spots
- Coordinated 8man groups, i.e. 2 groups running together (i've seen hibs mostly do this, but might as well all factions do it. Don't really like this as well, but it happens).
- Zergs (not a big fan of these myself)

CV I consider more of a fun training ground for NF and getting early RP.

Molvik is also a fun BG to have a stop at and do some RvR. Plenty of ad-hoc 8 mans and a few guild/friend groups running around looking to fill last 2/3 spots. NF i have no clue off as of yet.

Himse

FH is my second home
Himse, wierd. With regards to CV I've seen (thru eyes of a returning player) plenty of action. Not all to the liking of the one on the receiving end i can imagine, i've seen and/or be part of
- 8mans (up against plenty of other 8 mans during EU primetime) with comms (e.g. vent)
- small man teams (in off-hours)
- stealth camps at milegates or x-roads to add on to fights (curse you NS's ;p)
- stealth groups annoyingly camped at other realms quest xp spots
- Coordinated 8man groups, i.e. 2 groups running together (i've seen hibs mostly do this, but might as well all factions do it. Don't really like this as well, but it happens).
- Zergs (not a big fan of these myself)

CV I consider more of a fun training ground for NF and getting early RP.

Molvik is also a fun BG to have a stop at and do some RvR. Plenty of ad-hoc 8 mans and a few guild/friend groups running around looking to fill last 2/3 spots. NF i have no clue off as of yet.

You see i've been playing NF, it's really dry rvr, so I might level myself up something like skald or minstrel and play some CV perhaps.

Just RVR has been basically everything but the first two points to me from what i've seen. Just people taking keeps with 50+ people and stuff.

CorNokZ

Found this in one of the lower level camps.. Not using this on the back of any of your lvl25+ casters, is insanity. Pbae disarm and 50% power charge?

Unavngivet.jpg

CorNokZ

But realised you can get the same weapon, but with upgraded stats at lvl51 with +range and stuff

Everz

FH is my second home
Where are they.. If I get bored I want to know where I can make millyuns!

EDIT: not for item, more for the plats that Blood was raving about.

CorNokZ

Blood posted the locs of all camps. I guess that with a good level50 group and one sojourner you could make some really good plats doing these

I go to the green camps in avalon marsh with my friar, set up a heal font in the middle and fill up my inv worth 1p in five minutes

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Blood posted the locs of all camps. I guess that with a good level50 group and one sojourner you could make some really good plats doing these

I go to the green camps in avalon marsh with my friar, set up a heal font in the middle and fill up my inv worth 1p in five minutes

For a full inventory just vendoring the weapons you can make like 2-2.5p a run, if you salvage all the high level weapons (you cant salvage the low ones I dont think but you can do the high ones) full inventory full of arcanium = 50p+ get 10-11 bars per weapon.

I was just vendoring them tho, at the rate you pick them up it would take fucking hours if not days to salvage them all :p I just went with a dps + my buffbot, emptied their inventories and just kept selling up when both were full.

CorNokZ

Should level metal working on my friar then.. I just cba :D

Are the mobs here to stay or are they going away with the winter event?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Very tempted to return, having some issues remembering my account details though and I don't even know if I have access to the e-mail address I used to register it all those years ago! :D
Strangely enough I remembered my Ultima Online details to link to my EA account straight away.. last played 2001..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom