[OLD] Requiem for a Dream

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Having been watching films while working over the last few weeks, this was one of few films I've seen which actually made me forget about my work, right next to me on dual monitors, fully engrossing me in what was going on. I know it's an older film now but I don't particularly care; for anyone who hasn't watched it, I'd highly recommend it.

It also got me thinking... well actually I suppose I should spoiler this even though it's giving away diddly squat just in case you want to watch the film without knowing anything about it.

I wonder if anyone actually listened to my advice above. ;)

Perhaps certain aspects of drugs education would be better served by first showing this to teenagers... and if not this, something very similar with a plot, proper acters in it, essentially a full length film which can actually build a bit of personal ties to the characters rather then "this person took drugs...look at them, aren't they weak!" which most drugs educational films are these days.

I can't help but feel PSME or the like was always just a doss session for everyone where sitting as a student, you always felt the person explaining it knew nothing of what they were talking about. Reciting wiki would have been as useful (if it was about back then :() as was proven when many... in fact most of the people I knew started taking drugs (a couple actually before the lessons for added comedy value), some of which have never really recovered from hard drug taking.

I realise that no matter what you do, some people will ignore the warnings anyway but it did make me think that perhaps if this were shown when our year group was 14/15 perhaps, a message may have sunk in to a few more people...

Actually giving away more of the plot here...don't click if you haven't seen it. Really. It's not worth it.
It's not so much the fact that bad things happen to the characters, it's more the fact that everything is well and good. They're having a great time before finally all it takes is something small and all of a sudden, the tables turn. I've seen huge differences in friends tempers more recently who seem to stoop to some levels just for something as comparitively trivial such as weed. These being the more mature users (I hate that word...can't think of anythingelse for skunk smokers though), they don't resort to taking somethingelse but I know many who have, some of which it has cost a lot more then a bad couple of days.

Thinking about it, of the people I'd consider mates at some point in my life (actually spending time away from school/work with), I've known of 3 deaths, 1 coma, 2 cases of dissentry (sp?) as well as huge changes in overall personality of a score more people directly through drugs as a catagory... and I went to a grammar school.

Only one of these people would I say was actually a bad person (not enough to deserve what happened though... maybe... I don't like to speak too ill of the dead) and was coincidentally someone who probably wouldn't of listened to any warnings no matter what. Taking responsibility for those around us however; realising that we are essentially products of our environment... nobody looks up to people for taking drugs before they try them themselves, unless that's just me being naive.

There are however plenty of people who teenagers DO look upto and simply saying "yeah, drugs are bad mmmkay?" doesn't cut it. If anyone looks upto you, that isn't enough.

Don't know where I'm going/Have gone with this really, I guess all I'm wanting to say is first and foremost, watch the film but secondly... how much impact do you think a more 'in your face' approach to drugs education would have on the younger generations opinion of drugs?

Final note:

YouTube- Requiem for a dream

The theme song is epic (the link doesn't require a spoiler) :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
a spoiler tag in a spoiler tag?

super secret secret squirrel? :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It would probably keep a lot of people of the harder drugs if they watched it as a teenager. There's an irony in that they were trying to get away from the drugs when it finally caught up with them. There's a deeper message about addiction in there too - they could just have easily shown someone who lived in their room playing World of Warcraft 24/7 losing touch with reality.

As for the acting, Jennifer Connelly was smoking in this film, and I thought the rest were above average. I doubt it would have been as powerful if you had Jessica Alba and Jake Gyllenhaal strutting around.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It would probably keep a lot of people of the harder drugs if they watched it as a teenager. There's an irony in that they were trying to get away from the drugs when it finally caught up with them. There's a deeper message about addiction in there too - they could just have easily shown someone who lived in their room playing World of Warcraft 24/7 losing touch with reality.

As for the acting, Jennifer Connelly was smoking in this film, and I thought the rest were above average. I doubt it would have been as powerful if you had Jessica Alba and Jake Gyllenhaal strutting around.

Incidentally the director actually said the film was about addiction in any form, not just drugs, hence the mother addicted to that tv show. All in all, pretty harrowing viewing but a great film and yeah, great score.

Oh, and I'll agree that Jessica Alba can't act for toffee (though she's fucking gorgeous) but I think Jake Gyllenhaal is actually pretty damn good when he wants to be.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Jenny Connely

jennifer-connelly.jpg

'Nuff said.

How she ends up doin "ass 2 ass" for money/coke was so so so sad :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The mother is one of the best acted parts I have seen in a long time. I only actually watched it for the first time a couple of months ago. Brilliant film

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Yeah, this is a diamond of films. Its fucking ace.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
A great film and one of my favorites.... just listened to the music (which I usually avoid as it cuts a little :() and yes it was as emotive as ever. As for how to educate the youth of today (ohhh I feel old) I am not sure what the best approach is... All I know is that Grange Hill didn't work for me... not in the slightest :p

However I have always been attracted to things which are 'norteh' so exposure to the effects of drugs would have probably encouraged rather than put me off...

I also have an addictive personality so literally I can become addicted to anything or anyone and I am constantly replacing one addiction with another... they get more healthy as I get older, although soaps / TV have never been an issue to date... maybe I am saving those for my 80's (if I live that long).

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I remember when i was a drug taking teenager (as opposed to a weed smoking "adult" that i am now) My friends and I used watched this film a few times while chilling in and taking drugs. It wasn't a deterrent at all. Although I did once watch it while on a come-down and i wept at the zooming-out-scene. :(

Perhaps if i saw it when i was a few years younger it might have had an effect, but then again i might not have understood it fully. Then there are the issues of showing such an explicit and disturbing film.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
As for how to educate the youth of today (ohhh I feel old) I am not sure what the best approach is...

the only way of doing it is to try to explain the best ppl can how that stuff works, but as kids are kids you will always have a load thinking "that wont happen to me, i'l just try once and see what the fuzz is about"...

and sadly theres nothing that anyone can do that will help them bar keeping them locked inside their rooms.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
"that wont happen to me, i'l just try once and see what the fuzz is about"...

As a youngster for me it was two-fold. Firstly because I had been to a convent boarding school for 7 years and when I came out felt the need to experience everything which I could not whilst away and once I was into experimenting I wanted to understand the different feelings / experiences had by different substances.

Even if one was to share poor experiences of addictions of any nature, I am not sure what affect sharing those experiences will have on children / teenagers. There are those who will and those who won't regardless. I really wish that it was understood that drugs / addictions are bad and not only affect the current but the effects of excess as a young person can come back to haunt you / effect you much later on in life also.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I also watched this recently, i had to go sit for a good a while afterwards staring in to space just to 'deal with it'. It left me winded, and with a heavy heart.

The problem is i think people will see it for what they want to see, the drug taking segments in the film are beautiful montages and upbeat...but the moment is fleeting and the majority is about getting the next fix.

I focused on the downward spiral of the main characters, others may focus on the drug taking and the upbeat nature.

Either way i'd recommend that anyone watches it.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
One of my favourite films ever is The Fountain (2006)
Same director and same music composer as Requiem For a Dream.

I love the music from both films and have them on DVD. Just recently got The Fountain on Blu-Ray and it's stunning. For some reason the studio wouldn't let him do a commentary so he sat in his lounge with another member of the production crew (DoP I think) and recorded an MP3 commentary to the film which he put on his personal web site. How cool is that?

Back to the topic... Requiem is an amazing film. I don't necessarily think it's meant to have a message, it's more of an observation of various types and levels of addiction. Just as drugs can fuck you up, so can getting obsessed with losing weight for example.

The first time me and Lou watched it, we sat there in stunned silence as the credits rolled up not having a clue what to say.

As good as the film is, it's bloody depressing. I wouldn't watch it if I was feeling a little down!

Anyway...go watch The Fountain (2006) ! Top film although not for everyone as it's a little hard to follow in places.

Chilly

Balls of steel
basketball diaries is another good one for youngsters & drugs stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom